Before I send it back....won't communicate with PC for calibration

Reaction score
I have a thread in the help section but it's not getting very much in the way of help so I thought I'd try here before throwing in the towel...

Brand new v1.1.1

Everything seems to work EXCEPT, I can't get it to communicate with the PC for IMU calibration.

After a lot of research, this seems to be a fairly common problem and I'm having trouble believing there could be that many faulty NAZA's.

Maybe it's the VU. I wish there was a way I could test that without dissassembly.

The driver is installed and shows up in the Device manager under Ports. And more importantly, when I connect it to the PC, the PC hard drive light blinks and the driver appears and disappears when I plug in or unplug the USB cable to the PC. So it definitely is connecting. But, it won't transfer data or connect with the Assistant for IMU calibration etc. The blue and red connection lights in the assistant never come on.

I'm still not 100% convinced it's the Phantom (but getting close). It could be an issue with the COM port on the PC. So I tried it on another computer, with the same results so far.

I also tried using the USB cable for reading a USB thumb drive and that worked fine. But USB communications and serial communication work much different.

So before I throw in the towel, I'm going to try it on a 3rd computer and with a totally different USB cable. I guess if it still doesn't communicate it's time to ship it off to maybe maybe land.

Unless someone here has any additional suggestions. It's under warranty and if it turns out to be the NAZA unit itself, it's $300 for that one part and I don't want to void the warranty.

Also, 6 weeks (at least) turn around for the repair is brutal....but at least I have other toys to play with during the time. Waaaaa Waaaaa lol

I have a thread in the help section but it's not getting very much in the way of help so I thought I'd try here before throwing in the towel...

Brand new v1.1.1

Everything seems to work EXCEPT, I can't get it to communicate with the PC for IMU calibration.

After a lot of research, this seems to be a fairly common problem and I'm having trouble believing there could be that many faulty NAZA's.

Maybe it's the VU. I wish there was a way I could test that without dissassembly.
I'm gonna throw a few random thoughts out there for you.

I have had many issues with connecting the FC40 to my computer. My original USB cord was the only one which would connect for the longest time. I tried another, not long ago, and it worked.

When connecting I like to follow this procedure.
1- Phantom level and stationary with battery in place, but not connected.
2- NAZA assistant open on PC and screensaver set to 15 or 20 minutes.
3- Controller on, sound checks, light checks.
4- Phantom battery connected and allowed to complete self check.
5- USB connected to computer then to Phantom.
6- Listen for audible connection sound from PC.
You may get a "Connection" sound but not get a bright green light. If this occurs you must disconnect the USB from the phantom and wait for the audible "Disconnect" sound from the PC.
7- Visually check Phantom for bright green light.
Sometimes the connection isn't right and I will get a dim green light... this is a "NO GO" item. Once again, disconnect from the Phantom and wait for the disconnect sound from the PC. I have had this take up to 30 seconds.
8- Check the NAZA assistant for proper light indications of data transfer.

After doing all this and failing to connect, I will start over with a fresh boot up on the computer and usually that will work.

We can keep throwing darts at your board for a few days before you ship it back. Who knows???

FYI, I read the other thread in help.

Reactions: JKDSensei
Uninstall the NAZA assistant and driver.
Reinstall right after a restart of your computer.

Find someone nearby who can connect to their machine and see if your bird will connect to their computer.

Reactions: Ti22 and JKDSensei
IFlyinWY,
Transmitter switches both all the way up? GPS mode and OFF?

When I power up the Phantom I get this....
RED GREEN YELLOW RED GREEN YELLOW GREEN GREEN GREEN GREEN

Then immediately after the 4 greens....

Green Red Red Red....Green Red Red Red (and sometimes the reds will drop to one or two)
(I understand this to mean the number of Satellites locked in?) I'm not sure I'll ever get adequate GPS locks indoors. Do I need to be outdoors?

It does this indefinitely. I never get past this point. Im indoors.

I do not get YELLOW YELLOW YELLOW YELLOW YELLOW at any point. Aren't 4 yellow blinks to indicate warm up?

Last edited:
Ok, outdoors I eventually get a steady slow green blink with no red. I think that means GPS lock?

However, I have never heard the motors on this Phantom start...regardless. I think the IMU needs calibration but I cannot access it.

I did buy another USB cable. It didn't do anything. Nothing. At least the one that came with it connects to the driver even if it will not communicate with the Assistant.

Enough.

Time to send this pile back to DJI.

Uninstall the NAZA assistant and driver.
Reinstall right after a restart of your computer.

Find someone nearby who can connect to their machine and see if your bird will connect to their computer.

OP - did you try this before giving up? Good advice.

Your lights seem fine to me. You won't get complete GPS lock indoors. I've only connected and ran Naza once on Mac Os X so I'm not much help but good luck to you.

Reactions: IflyinWY
OP - did you try this before giving up? Good advice.

Your lights seem fine to me. You won't get complete GPS lock indoors. I've only connected and ran Naza once on Mac Os X so I'm not much help but good luck to you.

If I could find someone nearby willing that would be FeeNominal. But how do I do that?

I would like to thank everyone for their help.
I finally got it connected so the machine seems to be in order.

My primary computer seems to have a problem with the UART chips for COM communications.

I apparently botched the install process on my wife's laptop originally and it didnt work there either.
Once I removed everything from her computer and installed the Win Driver first and then the assistant (All As Administrator) it connected instantly.

Everything checks out now. Not sending it back (great sigh of relief).

Should be ready for a first flight attempt in the next few days once I feel comfortable with everything and triple check that all is set up properly.

I think my first flights will be very low, very close in flights in manual mode.
I'm comfortable flying my other drone completely manually (not even a GPS)...so I think I'll feel safer knowing it won't take off and go bye bye.

Thanks again all who helped !!

Hey great news and you’re gonna have a blast.

GPS is cool although my bird tends to tilt a little during lift-off using GPS mode so I generally put it in ATTI to launch and then switch GPS on.

If worried about fly-aways I suggest looking into a Marco-polo radio tracker. They’ve got a 12g RC transmitter up to 2 mile range. The pet version’s more like 50g. Good peace of mind…

Enjoy!

I would like to thank everyone for their help.
I think my first flights will be very low, very close in flights in manual mode.
I'm comfortable flying my other drone completely manually (not even a GPS)...so I think I'll feel safer knowing it won't take off and go bye bye.

Thanks again all who helped !!

Ha Haa,
I love the success stories. But I gotta laugh and a half. Low and close??? Lets see if that really happens. It's too much fun to kick it in the pants and do some "Hot Doggin'". Whatever you do, I hope it's tons of fun, just like it should be and is for most of us.

Fly aways are reserved for the P2 folks. I can't think of a single P1 or FC40 fly away. There probably have been a few, but I wouldn't fear them, especially since you can fly in ATTI.

I look forward to a pic of your bird in the air, even if it's a blurry cell phone shot.

Right on JKDSensei, have a ball.

Reactions: JKDSensei
Hey great news and you’re gonna have a blast.

GPS is cool although my bird tends to tilt a little during lift-off using GPS mode so I generally put it in ATTI to launch and then switch GPS on.

If worried about fly-aways I suggest looking into a Marco-polo radio tracker. They’ve got a 12g RC transmitter up to 2 mile range. The pet version’s more like 50g. Good peace of mind…

Enjoy!

Yeah, I looked at that. I would like to have one.

Ha Haa,
I love the success stories. But I gotta laugh and a half. Low and close??? Lets see if that really happens. It's too much fun to kick it in the pants and do some "Hot Doggin'". Whatever you do, I hope it's tons of fun, just like it should be and is for most of us.

Fly aways are reserved for the P2 folks. I can't think of a single P1 or FC40 fly away. There probably have been a few, but I wouldn't fear them, especially since you can fly in ATTI.

I look forward to a pic of your bird in the air, even if it's a blurry cell phone shot.

Right on JKDSensei, have a ball.

Hey Miguel,
Welcome to the forum :D It is tons of fun isn't it? :)
I have put together a few pages of helpful information at www.wynotweb.com
Maybe if you read some of my stuff, you won't make the same mistakes.
Stay close till you figure out how it all works. That's my advice.
Enjoy the show.

Ha ha ha.....BUSTED !!!!

lol
See? Even the "bad guys" have good luck sometimes.
Low and Close......You know, for like the first 15 minutes....

I had no idea flyaways are so rare on the P1. Awesome !
Seems to be par for the course over in the P2 / P3 sections.

Last edited:

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hirehackers