Be careful with Waypoints

Reaction score
Be careful with Waypoints. Flight path between two waypoints is a straight line, even if you flew the original flight around or over obstacles (ie a hill).

Illustrated:

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1442406826.737774.jpg

Great point! Nice diagram to explain thank you.
I have yet to fly a way point mission.
So....

WP1 ( height 13M ) going to WP2 13M...reaching WP2 ( Height set for 30M ) bird reaches WP2 stops and goes to 30M, add a WP3 Bird goes from 30M reaches WP3 ( Height set for 13M )stops then Descends to 13M.

Sounds Square.... No Graduated climbs or descents to each WP.

Last edited:
Great point! Nice diagram to explain thank you.
I have yet to fly a way point mission.
So....

WP1 ( height 13M ) going to WP2 13M...reaching WP2 ( Height set for 30M ) bird reaches WP2 stops and goes to 30M, add a WP3 Bird goes from 30M reaches WP3 ( Height set for 13M )stops then Descends to 13M.

Sounds Square.... No Graduated climbs or descents to each WP.
Altitude variations are attained as it travels from point to point. The best option, as illustrated, would include 4 or more way points to make a smooth transition over the hill and back to the base altitude.

Altitude variations are attained as it travels from point to point. The best option, as illustrated, would include 4 or more way points to make a smooth transition over the hill and back to the base altitude.

Stair Stepping " Altitude variations are attained as it travels from point to point." That confused me Streve?
Did you mean ( Altitude variations are attained as it reaches point to point.? )

Stair Stepping " Altitude variations are attained as it travels from point to point." That confused me Streve?
Did you mean ( Altitude variations are attained as it reaches point to point.? )
Point A is 10 feet
Point B is 20 feet
Half way to point be the altitude would be 15 ft... the variations in altitude for each point happen AS its flying to the next point, just like any plane would.

Point A is 10 feet
Point B is 20 feet
Half way to point be the altitude would be 15 ft... the variations in altitude for each point happen AS its flying to the next point, just like any plane would.

Is that going against what the Op said?
imageuploadedbytapatalk1442406826-737774-jpg.30873

Wait a min I see what your saying! Streve, if he had WP2 at the top of the arch then he needed a new WP3 at the bottom of the arch.
Is there a formula that should be followed as to an ascent and descent as far as spacing? or distance?

Waypoint 1 should be straight up from Home Point to a good clearance altitude. Your last waypoint should be straight above the Home Point. I then flip it back into "P" mode and bring it down myself.
I don't really find a lot of utility in Waypoints myself because I typically have a flight plan built around getting specific photo or video shots; so I spend my time in 1 or 2 locations on a "shoot".
But if your plan is to inspect farms or power lines, then I could see Waypoints being a great utility.

Is that going against what the Op said?
imageuploadedbytapatalk1442406826-737774-jpg.30873

Wait a min I see what your saying! Streve, if he had WP2 at the top of the arch then he needed a new WP3 at the bottom of the arch.
Is there a formula that should be followed as to an ascent and descent as far as spacing? or distance?
Not sure what you mean by "formula". In the original illustration I would set up 7 waypoints, if the hill was part of something I planned to record. one at the WP1, one at the start of the hills altitude change. One about half way up. Two more evenly spaced across the top. Another half way down, then another where the ground levels and the next transitioning away from the hill. If it were simply something in my way.. like a row of trees while inspecting a farm, I would simply pop up in altitude to clear them, and drop back to a working altitude after they were cleared. No need to make it smooth and pretty.

Not sure what you mean by "formula". In the original illustration I would set up 7 waypoints, if the hill was part of something I planned to record. one at the WP1, one at the start of the hills altitude change. One about half way up. Two more evenly spaced across the top. Another half way down, then another where the ground levels and the next transitioning away from the hill. If it were simply something in my way.. like a row of trees while inspecting a farm, I would simply pop up in altitude to clear them, and drop back to a working altitude after they were cleared. No need to make it smooth and pretty.
Have you tested this out yet III% Streve ....?
It would be good to know if that works in a hilly area and/or one with trees.

In short -- Altitude changes require a waypoint as well, not just distance changes.

Yeah - though you can build your height into your distance waypoints.... I still HAAATE the way this is implemented... Ground Station was so much more user friendly :)

Reactions: envisionabove
Untitled.jpg

TERRIBLE illustrations. Sorry. But they get the point across! The top image is what I would do if I had to deal with altitude changes. It makes a smooth flight and stays relatively the same altitude AGL through the flight.

The second is what I was talking about with trees in the way of a farm inspection. But a very important note.. The yellow section.. If you are planning to go forward 100 feet, and climb 100 feet you could run in to issues where this would NOT work out smoothly. The P3 only has a max ascent rate of like 11 m/s in waypoint mode I think. But the speed can be set much higher. Lets say you are traveling at max speed.. you will reach the waypoints GPS location far faster than you can reach the waypoints altitude... so you would again possibly his something.

Reactions: envisionabove

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ozmtl