BC Pilots

I will be out in Kelowna the week of May 22nd. If the opportunity presents itself maybe a old Calgarian can meet up for some flying time

We will be leaving for Kelowna Saturday morning and we can arrange a meetup for all interestedin a group fly.

I am a Vancouver Resident looking to purchase my first drone. Wouldn't mind coming out. I have a question though, I was looking to see what the regulations were on flying in Canada. Is it true that the height restrictions are 90m for flying?

Anyways, would love to come check it out.

Here's what you need to know for Transport Canada :

Flying a drone recreationally - Transport Canada

Here is an interactive airspace viewer so you can check which area you would like to fly in and whether or not it's legal :

Canadian Airspace Viewer

Here is a .pdf for canadian airspace regulations to familiarize yourself with terminology so you can use the viewer accurately :

https://www.navcanada.ca/EN/products-and-services/Documents/DAH_Current_EN.pdf

If you're not sure how to use the airspace viewer, a basic example:

uncheck Class E and F
Select 'at or below' + 700'

Zoom into the area you would like to fly. You can see whether or not it's "legal".

Example attached image

Please do NOT start flying all over downtown, Stanley Park, etc... There are already people posting on here that are flying in controlled airspace and within the 9km airport/heliport areas that have made it really bad for the rest of us following TC/BC law.

Attachments

• vanairspaceef_700.JPG
    vanairspaceef_700.JPG
    108.8 KB · Views: 505
Last edited:
Reactions: benncheck
Thanks for that post kookboy.

I am trying to understand where I can, and cannot, fly my Phantom 4.

If I uncheck Class E and F and Select 'at or below' + 700' as you suggest am I not allowed to fly anywhere in the shaded areas?

Also, I know there are aerodromes in areas that are not shaded with those settings. Around Nanaimo for instance. Does that mean that I'm allowed to fly there? Even if its near the Heliport near downtown Nanaimo?

Any help or advice is appreciated!

Last edited:
I'm in South Surrey almost White Rock right now. Just a heads up about flying in Vancouver. I saw a newscast after the fireworks last week that said the Vancouver waterfront is off limits because of float planes. The majority of Vancouver is off limits. They said you need to be 9 kilometers from landing aircraft. Between Richmond airport and the waterfront that does not leave much legal space.

Hello, I'm new to UAV and this website. I am on Vancouver Island in the Greater Victoria area. Navigating Transport Canada regs is tough work. I expect flying my new P4 will be much easier...

Hi guys, I've been working my way out of beginner mode with my P3S. So far flying under 50 metres in Stanley Park and along Spanish Banks. Anyone else doing some drone piloting right here in Vancouver?

Hi guys, I've been working my way out of beginner mode with my P3S. So far flying under 50 metres in Stanley Park and along Spanish Banks. Anyone else doing some drone piloting right here in Vancouver?
Hey. PLease please please do not fly at stanley park. It is absolutley off limits without contacting harbour tower. It is highly restricted airspace. We fly at the lionsgate twice commercially and it is very strict on when where and how you can fly. Its best left alone, as beautiful as it is

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
wkflysaphan4