Battery

I use a Powerextra in my P4P and it works fine. The OEM’s have more w/h and will fly about 5min longer.

You will always find MORE negative posts / reviews on product than positive .... its human nature. Those that enjoy their product rarely stand up to tell the world ... they just get on and use.
Those that have a problem - whether its the product or their own error in use - want to tell the world what a crap product it is .....

Sound familiar ? How many threads about ... Crap DJI and I will never touch another !! Before we even get to batterys ....

10 P3's in our club .... with approx 30 batterys ..... only the original battery supplied with the P3's are DJI ... all other approx. 20 are non DJI. No reports of problems at all. Most of those are now over 1 year in use ..

Nigel

No. I only use DJI batteries. That's what I'd buy if I wanted to try a 3rd party battery though.
Agreed. I tried a Banggood.com battery...it worked for a bit, then swelled and Banggood.com refused to honor the warranty. I only buy DJI batts now. And if you look, the P3 batteries are way lower than $150 anymore.

Reactions: Mark The Droner
I tried using an aftermarket today. It would not even start the 3 even though it had a full charge.
What battery was it? If everyone posted what did work as well as which one didn't then we dont have to find local fliers,for reviews, this group is big enough to weed out the bad products. Imo

What battery was it? If everyone posted what did work as well as which one didn't then we dont have to find local fliers,for reviews, this group is big enough to weed out the bad products. Imo

True - but you have to be careful with online sellers particularly .... the batches they get may not be from same production facility. Seller X - batterys are fine today ... go back for another later - its possible it comes from another source to him ... most likely will still work ... but you never know.

As to Banggood .... yes they are a bit touchy on replacements ... but gentle persuasion often pays off.

I had a charger supplied by them. With a week - the USB side failed ... I contacted then and reply was they would not replace. I reminded them that the Manufacturer states 2 year warranty and BG as a seller of that gear should honour it. I received a reply agreeing the replacement and all sorted. They didn't even want old one back !

Nigel

I have 3 batteries for my P3S. One is the original that came with the AC and the other 2 are PowerExtra ones. I have not had a single problem with my PowerExtra batteries and used them while my AC was under warranty all the time. Now that my AC is out of warranty it wouldn’t matter if one of them failed and caused a crash. Am I taking more of a risk with aftermarket batteries, maybe, but I am taking more of a risk flying my AC as there is more of a likelyhood that I will crash from any number of factors - user error the most likely one.

The only thing I don’t like about the PowerExtra batteries is that the LEDs are not as bright as the DJI battery so it is hard to read the LEDs in bright sunlight. Would I buy another one again - definitely, as they are a fraction of the cost of DJI ones.

Chris

Powerextra is one of the many aftermarkets I will no longer purchase. It's the one with the sparkly silver label. My problem with mine is the max mAH number decreased by about 10% over the first handful of flights. I'll still fly with it, but I will be sure to be overhead when it gets close to 40% or so...

One guy on here posted he uses them . Thats why reviews are hard. If we was talking a few bucks like with propellers its' a no brainer spend the extra 5 bucks and get DJI but on batteries it's a big price difference. I just have the one battery and will be getting another. Why does DJI charge so much? I have time to get a battery it's 10 degrees out side here in South Jersey .

On Amazon.ca right now a DJI battery is CDN$204 whereas PowerExtra is $76 (amazing deal). That’s even less than I paid for my 2. The DJI battery cost almost half as much as I paid for my P3S. To me its a no brainer. Using DJI batteries jacks up the total cost of my P3S considerably.

Chris

Reactions: David_Cambridge
I just ordered another one off amazon. I paid $71CDN for it. I have never seen P3 batteries that low. I will now have 4 batteries 1 OEM and 3 PowerExtra.

Chris

Here are some screen shots of the battery life of my 3 batteries - DJI OEM, and 2 PowerExtra's.

DJI OEM
Screen Shot 2017-12-31 at 5.49.03 PM.png

PowerExtra #2
Screen Shot 2017-12-31 at 5.49.26 PM.png

PowerExtra #3

Screen Shot 2017-12-31 at 5.49.44 PM.png

As you can see the DJI OEM which is the oldest is declining less than the PowerExtra ones but for the cost difference, I think they are worth it.

Chris

Do you have a brand that you like if you don' like Power Extra?
Not right now, no. Once you have a perfectly good AC fall out of the sky from 400' feet, it kind of takes all the fun out flying with aftermarkets. There used to be an aftermarket battery called Venom who made a great intelligent phantom battery - friggin' awesome. But that battery disappeared in late 2015 for some reason. Limefuel also made a great battery. They're gone too. I haven't seen a reliable aftermarket battery since then. Based on that experience though, it seems potentially, another aftermarket company could come up with a solid battery some day. But I will wait for many solid reviews before I buy one.

Reactions: LarBear360
for what it is worth, I recently purchased a Powerextra battery, have not had an issue with it. I have four drones 2-P3S, 1-P34K and 1-P3A. Three of them are current on all updates and firmware, the forth one P3S has not been updated since purchase. The powerextra battery works in all four drones.

Kuentl on eBay was supplying excellent battery's but stopped supplying ... two I had from him were identical to DJI even to factory label ... last one I got was typical label but works perfect.

I am always reserved about reported faults in anything we do ... I know that I have crashed models ... been convinced of why --- till I see the video I usually make of flights. I video flights more for diagnostic use ...

I was flying my display biplane, came round inverted for a pass down the runway .... she dived into the runway shattering fuselage and wing, ruining a gasoline engine etc. I swear on the video that it was wrong elevator command .... but video showed clearly failure of control ... careful checking of gear after then confirmed it.
What I illustrate there is what we think is reason - can often be another.

Nigel

Last edited:

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
thedrinklabsus