Battery securing device, strap, hasp... anything?

Modifying your P4P Battery Bay?

• I haven't yet, but it's on my to do list.

Votes: 1 9.1%
  • I've implemented my fix, but I'd like a better solution!

Votes: 1 9.1%
  • I already have the perfect solution in place! (please detail it below)

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • It doesn't concern me, I'm happy with it as OEM.

Votes: 9 81.8%

• Total voters
Reaction score
I searched up google and found some bits and pieces on this subject, mostly more dated and it didn't appear anyone is currently devising or creating a cure for the battery drop-out blues.

My main considerations are: Weight & Bulkiness of the device, so I want the lightest (but strong enough to do the job), most aerodynamic and best looking hodge-podge fix I can come up with. lol.

Here's my nickle tour and thoughts at this moment;
I'm thinking about a velcro strap (or two) that would extend around the out side of the battery bay. You could have the bottom already attached and then pull tightly upwards and attach on the top side of the drone, just above the battery tray opening. Of course the strap(s) would have to be quite tight, keeping not only the battery in but also the battery interface locked-in/connected. Downside is these straps will block some of the batteries step lighting. I'm thinking better this than having a possible drop-age issue... which more often than not, it's just a connection loss from the Interface and the battery still (mostly) stays in the cradle.

So since our OEM battery latching system isn't as good as the prior model, what do you guys think? What have you guys done (if anything)?.

Last edited:
I will check there, thnx. :)

Why do you think there's a problem that needs fixing?
I haven't noticed reports on the forums that would suggest there's a problem.
I have a friend who had a power loss over our lake, lost video and signal connection, and she immediately dropped. He swears it’s from the battery coming loose. It propababy didn’t slide out, just enough to lose interface connection.

Although his was a white P4P, I doubt my black one has any better plastic catching system, which doesn’t have much of a grab lip tbh.

I have a friend who had a power loss over our lake, lost video and signal connection, and she immediately dropped. He swears it’s from the battery coming loose. It propababy didn’t slide out, just enough to lose interface connection.
Although his was a white P4P, I doubt my black one has any better plastic catching system, which doesn’t have much of a grab lip tbh.
So you've got one case of a propulsion system failure and the assumption that it was due to the battery shifting.
That doesn't sound like any case to make the assumption that there's a problem that needs a fix.
He swears it’s from the battery coming loose.
And does he have any actual evidence to come to this conclusion?
There are other things that can cause a propulsion system failure.

So you've got one case of a propulsion system failure and the assumption that it was due to the battery shifting.
That doesn't sound like any case to make the assumption that there's a problem that needs a fix.

I guess I’m a preventative maintenance kind of guy, I just figure if .30 cents worth of Velcro can save a $1200 bird then it’s worth it.

Evidence? lol, he hasn’t recovered the black box yet.

If it’s of absolutely zero concern with the P4P, well then this is good news and I’ll sit tight on it. But the Velcro idea is cheap and an easy battery connection insurance, let alone less than 2 minutes to initially install.

I appreciate the discussion on this. TY!

Not sure where the threads are but I know this has been discussed here*. I personally had a P4P battery bay that was so loose I immediately returned it for replacement and while the one I finally settled on is better, it is still loose and I have read other threads mentioning loss of power connection due to loose battery. Meta4 I don't know where you've been but this subject has been around for a while.

* see below for links

Last edited:
I think that there is very little evidence to support such fear. There are thousands of drones flying around and few cases which are even not confirmed makes this issue irrelevant.
Of course the position of batteries need to be checked before each flight to confirm it is firmly attached into the compartment. The strap serves mostly for owners better feeling.

Reactions: Meta4
As I said .. very little evidence.
Those threads are people suggesting or guessing a loose battery may have caused an incident.
But no proof.
If there was an issue there would be lots of evidence.

Just because not everyone experiences a problem with a product does not mean it is not a problem. QC is a problem at DJI and while you may disagree, there are many that don't.
Find some evidence that people are actually experiencing this problem rather than a few people guessing and saying maybe this is an issue, I might take notice.
There are hundreds of thousands of these things flying.
That's a huge sample size so you would expect to see plenty of reports if this was an issue.

I get that you do not have a problem with your battery bay, and maybe don't personally know anyone that does, but I do and did on more than one P4P, and to me that makes it a problem.

Last edited:

Yesterday I was flying my P4A. It had come back from being fixed by DJI. Among other things the case had been damaged and I noticed it was now harder to get the battery as well as remove it. Anyhow, just as I was lifting off the drone got about a foot off the ground and then simply stopped and dropped the short distance back. When I went to check it the battery had popped about a 1/4" out of the compartment and clearly wasn't connected anymore. I pushed it back in securely and it flew without any problem but it does make me wonder if securing the battery with tape or whatever wouldn't be a good idea.

Reactions: higherperspective
I use medical tape as it is cheap insurance. It's white so it blends in visually with the aircraft, and can be fastened multiple times before requiring replacement. Also, it doesn't leave a residue on the plastic. Maybe there isn't a problem but I know I won't have a problem if it is taped.

Reactions: higherperspective
Yesterday I was flying my P4A. It had come back from being fixed by DJI. Among other things the case had been damaged and I noticed it was now harder to get the battery as well as remove it. Anyhow, just as I was lifting off the drone got about a foot off the ground and then simply stopped and dropped the short distance back. When I went to check it the battery had popped about a 1/4" out of the compartment and clearly wasn't connected anymore. I pushed it back in securely and it flew without any problem but it does make me wonder if securing the battery with tape or whatever wouldn't be a good idea.
That is the proof of course. But as you said, it was harder to put the battery in, would it be possible, that the battery wasn't fixed enough at the start.
Did you check it before flight? If the battery is well fixed into its position, I can hardly imagine how it could fall out just like that.

There are several birds falling out of the sky of late though Meta 4! What's up with that if it's not battery related?

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hirehackers