Korean Airlines said no to my Drone

Reaction score
I was wondering if anyone has encountered a problem with this airline. The have specic rules regarding vehicles with lithium batteries, however, they also allow lithium batteries if they are separate from the vehicle. It mainly was focused on scooters, Segways, and other types of hoverboards. I don't want to cause a stir by bringing it, however, it basically says no to the a before mentioned, however lithium ion batteries are allowed in the cabin if they are outside of the device, in a protective enclosure, and are rated as less than 160kw.

I was wondering if anyone has encountered a problem with this airline. The have specic rules regarding vehicles with lithium batteries, however, they also allow lithium batteries if they are separate from the vehicle. It mainly was focused on scooters, Segways, and other types of hoverboards. I don't want to cause a stir by bringing it, however, it basically says no to the a before mentioned, however lithium ion batteries are allowed in the cabin if they are outside of the device, in a protective enclosure, and are rated as less than 160kw.
Can you be more specific as to what actually happened?
Did your drone get refused at the airport or did you just get a negative answer to an enquiry or have you only read their policy and decided that applies to your Phantom?

The airline's policies appear very similar to all other airlines and don't say anything specific about drones.
Not Allowed to Bring/Restricted Items - Korean Air
All airlines have restrictions on scooters, Segways, and other types of hoverboards - because they have BIG batteries.
The batteries are the issue - not the vehicle.
Besides, a Phantom is not a vehicle.
I'd be very surprised if Korean AIrlines would have any concern at all about carrying a Phantom if you complied with their battery guidelines.
Other airlines don't have any worry about Phantoms.

Reactions: With The Birds
Reason why hoover boards and segways are not allowed is because the battery is inside the unit. It's true you can disconnect the battery from them but it's a hassle. With drones however you can put the battery in a lipo bag and carry it on with you. My best advice is to bring a friend with you to the point where you have to check the bag in. If it gets refused your friend can just bring it home. If it gets allowed then you can film your holiday. [emoji6][emoji106]

Late to the party, but I don't see any follow-up here.

FYI I've flown Korean Air with a P3 and a P4 without an issue. Last time I was carrying a half dozen batteries, too! That was just a few months ago. Always carry-on, all of it. And nobody's ever asked me to remove a battery. In later flights I used LiPo "safe" bags. When I fly with batteries I never bring them aboard with a full charge, just to pretend I'm being safe. And nobody has ever said a thing about the fact that I'm carrying the bird, a laptop and a carry-on bag!

In contrast, my wife flies with an O2 concentrator which has batteries that are three times the size of the P4's, so that requires a lot of paperwork well in advance of the flight. But those are big honkin' batteries and she brings two aboard for a flight of that length.

KAL's rules notwithstanding, be aware of substantial NFZs in Korea now.

Good luck and let me know if you need more guidance.

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cokersean20