Battery Recharging

Reaction score
Just curious, I only ran my battery down to about 33%, should I discharge it further before charging or just hook it back up and fully recharge. I always use to run my lipos down to about 10% or so before charging. Thoughts?

Per your DJI manual:
Charge and discharge the battery completely once every 20 charge/discharge cycles. Discharge the battery until there is less than 8% power or until it can no longer be turned on, then recharge it to maximum capacity. This power cycling procedure will optimize the battery.

When the battery is about 3/4 charged, it must be turned on before charging it. Otherwise, it will not charge. FYI.

Lipos have no memory effect so you can recharge them from any state back to full charge without harm.

For storage you should keep the battery only partially charged; about 40 - 60%. The Phantom Smart batteries have an auto-discharging function that will start automatically discharging the battery down to about 50-60% if the battery does not operate for 10 days so you don't have to worry about forgetting to discharge a battery and ruining it during storage if your not planning to fly for awhile. The Auto-Discharge function takes about 2 days to bring a battery down to the storage level.

Another pointer is after every 20 charge/discharge cycles you should discharge the battery until it has about 8% left or until it won't turn on then fully recharge it. This will optimize the battery.

For reference, the actual charge/discharge/balance circuit is built in to the battery and the charger is just a switching power supply brick with a connector that fits the battery.

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AdriSmitJnr