Battery limitation

Reaction score
So after replacing the shell and adding some motor plates, I took the P3P out to make sure it flew correctly without issue. Once airborne, I noticed a limitation on height and distance, and after reading someone else's post on here I tried merely changing out the battery. Once I did, the limitation was gone. Is this merely a needed battery update or something else? I do not get a prompt that the battery needs to be updated or anything, its just this one particular battery. Any help is greatly appreciated.

Reactions: Michael Humphrey
It should flag you about firmware, when started in Go 4.
Or, you just logged out and back in.

Don't update your firmware, that's not your problem. Batteries don't control height, unless they are discharged. Look in the GO app for height restrictions or beginner mode. Turn off beginner if it's on. Increase the height limitation if needed. Leave the firmware alone until you learn the downside of upgrading, even if the app prompts you to upgrade, ignore it

Don't update your firmware, that's not your problem. Batteries don't control height, unless they are discharged. Look in the GO app for height restrictions or beginner mode. Turn off beginner if it's on. Increase the height limitation if needed. Leave the firmware alone until you learn the downside of upgrading, even if the app prompts you to upgrade, ignore it
+1

These were the first things I checked. Its odd how the P3P is only affected by this one battery. I have had this happen before with the same battery. I was just curious as to why it had an issue with it.

Im using the standard GO app. I never stated otherwise.

He got confused with the other guy who mentioned GO4 ....

Nigel

These were the first things I checked. Its odd how the P3P is only affected by this one battery. I have had this happen before with the same battery. I was just curious as to why it had an issue with it.
That is odd that you notice a height limitation with only that one battery. If the firmware on that battery is not correct, you will get a notice of "inconsistent firmware", and it will prompt you to update the battery to fix the "inconsistent firmware". That's OK to update the battery firmware for "inconsistent firmware". Go ahead an say OK to that, ONLY if it prompts you to. This will update the battery from your RC, do not connect to the internet, there's not need for that. The firmware update can occur remotely in the field, by itself, from the RC to the battery, in a matter of 1min. Do not connect to the internet and upgrade the RC or craft firmware, as that's not your problem. Once you understand the downside of upgrading your RC or craft firmware, you'll know why I don't recommend updating it.

Do you see any anomalies in the voltage differentials between the 4 cells in that battery, using the voltage monitor of individual cells in the Go app?

Yeah its is too late for the update on the P3P itself, I did it as soon as I got it not thinking that there maybe an issue with it....this is my first drone and I'm learning as I go with some help from you fine gentlemen. Anyway, I did not see any voltage difference between the two at full charge, however I feel that the batteries have been through quite a number of cycles as they usually draw down pretty fast. I'm looking at investing in about 3 more brand new ones so I'll know how many cycles they have (I bought this P3P off of a friend who used it for construction site shots). I'll definitely try the FW update on the battery if it prompts me, otherwise, I'm marking it so I know in the future not to expect much from it. Thanks for the feedback btw.

Yeah its is too late for the update on the P3P itself, I did it as soon as I got it not thinking that there maybe an issue with it....this is my first drone and I'm learning as I go with some help from you fine gentlemen. Anyway, I did not see any voltage difference between the two at full charge, however I feel that the batteries have been through quite a number of cycles as they usually draw down pretty fast. I'm looking at investing in about 3 more brand new ones so I'll know how many cycles they have (I bought this P3P off of a friend who used it for construction site shots). I'll definitely try the FW update on the battery if it prompts me, otherwise, I'm marking it so I know in the future not to expect much from it. Thanks for the feedback btw.
The GO app will tell you how many charges are on each battery. If you treat them right you'll get 100 charges usually, sometimes 150. Retire the battery when you see the cell differentials grow more than .13 volt from each other (guys, correct me if I'm wrong)

If I only had 150 cycles on a battery - I would be very unhappy ..... lipo's are usually good for 500 ! Or more depending on how you treat them.

Retiring old packs - no need to bin - keep for bench work such as updates / Sim / trusting etc. Keep the good flight battery's for flights.

Nigel

Reactions: Numone
If I only had 150 cycles on a battery - I would be very unhappy ..... lipo's are usually good for 500 ! Or more depending on how you treat them.

Retiring old packs - no need to bin - keep for bench work such as updates / Sim / trusting etc. Keep the good flight battery's for flights.

Nigel
I'm not sure where you get the impression LiPos are suppose to get 500 charges, that's really not reality. Li-Ion can get that many, but Li-Po drone batteries are less, considering the high standard (voltage deltas) for retirement status to protect the drone.

The only difference from LiIon to LiPo is the Polymer separator . medium used in construction ! The chemistry is same.

LiPo is actually LiIon Polymer Battery Cell.

Go check it out ... suggest Battery University or similar online site ?

DJI do not force retirement of batterys now - the 200 cycle life limit was removed ages ago according to information given to me by DJI Technical themselves.

For a Euro 150 battery .... 150 cycles ? Are you kidding .....

Nigel

The only difference from LiIon to LiPo is the Polymer separator . medium used in construction ! The chemistry is same.

LiPo is actually LiIon Polymer Battery Cell.

Go check it out ... suggest Battery University or similar online site ?

DJI do not force retirement of batterys now - the 200 cycle life limit was removed ages ago according to information given to me by DJI Technical themselves.

For a Euro 150 battery .... 150 cycles ? Are you kidding .....

Nigel
I hope your right. I can rarely believe DJI phone or email statements as they are often wrong, and taken with a grain of salt, sad to say. I base my belief on reported battery life in the real world.

This could be a good survey to run.

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ozmtl