Battery Issues (fairly new battery)

Reaction score
First of all I posted this earlier, but think I posted in the wrong area. So re-posting here:

Hello

New Phantom 3A user. I have a new P3A which I will admit I did not buy new. But the person showed me the logs and he only had 1.25 hours logged. The package came with 2 extra batteries.

I have not had many flights. Now on of the batteries isn't charging. From what I can tell, LED#2 is blinking twice, which indicates an over current. From the healthydrone.com logs, that battery has only been charged 7 times.

I connected the suspect battery back into the P3A and powered up the controller. Battery showed 38%.

The other 2 batteries appear fine.

Is there any way to resolve this (i.e. discharge) or is this battery toast?

Thanks
Note: I guess it could be possible that it is blinking 3 times. I can't tell. Perhaps I can upload a video

Ok... so what I did since writing the above post (with some guidance from a friend)

Battery in question was at 38%. I took it out for a short flight to drain it so then I could either 1) try charging again or 2) discharge.

Flight took it down to approx 14-16%. Now when I charge only the top/first LED blinks (constantly) no others. I didn't find this in the manual all (same place that tells you what @ 2 LED blink means etc).

I guess I can try discharging it. Any thoughts? Also how quick should i set to discharge?

Thanks

From what I can tell, LED#2 is blinking twice, which indicates an over current. I connected the suspect battery back into the P3A and powered up the controller. Battery showed 38%. Battery in question was at 38%. I took it out for a short flight to drain it so then I could either 1) try charging again or 2) discharge. Flight took it down to approx 14-16%. Now when I charge only the top/first LED blinks (constantly) no others. I didn't find this in the manual all (same place that tells you what @ 2 LED blink means etc).

I guess I can try discharging it. Any thoughts? Also how quick should i set to discharge?

Thanks
With #2 blinking it seems that the estimate of battery level remaining is correct at ~38%
With #1 blinking it seems that the estimate of battery level remaining is correct at ~14%

Am I misunderstanding your question or concern?

BatteryLevel.png

Battery in question was at 38%. I took it out for a short flight to drain it so then I could either 1) try charging again or 2) discharge.
I would not recommend taking your P3 out for a flight starting with a battery level at 38%, especially with it being a new (to you) battery.

Have you tried simply leaving it on the charger until it's full, or are you saying that you already tried to charge it for the normal amount of time and it wont charge at all?

Last edited:
With #2 blinking it seems that the estimate of battery level remaining is correct at ~38%
With #1 blinking it seems that the estimate of battery level remaining is correct at ~14%

Am I misunderstanding your question or concern?

View attachment 69362

I would not recommend taking your P3 out for a flight starting with a battery level at 38%, especially with it being a new (to you) battery. Have you tried simply leaving it on the charger until it's full, or are you saying that you already tried to charge it for the normal amount of time and it wont charge at all?

hey, thanks for responding.

I guess I didn't word my original post properly. I apologize for that.

The issue is when I charge my (3) batteries, one of them doesn't appear to charge. Normally when charging all the batteries flash (1,then 2 then 3 then 4 back to 1 etc). As of this post, originally only #2 LED would blink (perhaps 2x or 3x times) which would indicate a over current or short circuit.

Im referencing page 20 of: http://download.dji-innovations.com...hantom_3_Professional_User_Manual_v1.2_en.pdf

When I hook it up to the charger it does not behave as it normally has. Currently only the top LED flashes constantly. This is not normal (according to the manual and what the other batteries do). I can't upload a video here. I could send one to you privately if you want.

I'm trying to figure out if this battery is good/can be salvaged or is it toast and I should toss it

I hope this helps clarify

I'm now wondering if the charger is bad.

A different battery has the same symptom as my original post: Led #1 and 2 blink. Normal charge as I understand blinks 1,2,3,4 back to 1,2,3,4

Mine blink 1 and 2 only

I'm now wondering if the charger is bad.

A different battery has the same symptom as my original post: Led #1 and 2 blink. Normal charge as I understand blinks 1,2,3,4 back to 1,2,3,4

Mine blink 1 and 2 only

you do understand that when you charge a battery that is low (between 12.5 to 37.5%) only 1 and 2 will blink then with continued charging 1,2 and 3 and with continued charging 1,2,3 and 4 until its done then all stop blinking Right? What happens when you let it charge for an hr?

Last edited:
I'm embarrassed (very embarrassed) to say you are probably right. I paniced when i saw weird blinky lights. I thought I scrolled through 1-4 for normal operations thus thought something was wrong.

I'm letting it sit on the charger for a while to see what happens.

If that's all it was again super embarrassed

Try to hold and press for 5 seconds. see how many lite stay green. If showing all battery should be ok and different issue of not charging. you may try to dain the battery by only 3 mitures hight flight untill it auto land. Bellow 10% wait 1 hour and try to charge

hey, thanks for responding.
No worries sir.

It looks like you've answered my question about if you've simply tried to charge it until it's full. My guess is that it will be fine once you let it charge. Please loop back to confirm so that others reading this in the future can benefit. Good luck sir.

Cheers!

Last edited:
Reactions: Mohammed Baset
Where is the OH CRAP I'm and idiot and delete this post button.

I thought when it was charging it does goes through all LEDs - 1,2,3,4 1,2,3,4 etc. So when I was down to just 1 or 2 blinking I mis-interpreted that. I saw in the manual how LED #1 or 2 meant overcharge etc and assumed the worst.

If the moderator is reading this feel free to delete this thread with reason code: poster was an idiot !!!

Reactions: Oso

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jody.paugh@fullerandsons.