Battery for Sunhans amps

Reaction score
I was only going to run one 2.4Ghz amp and one 5.8Ghz amp so, I got the battery for that application. However After speaking with several other people I decided to go with 2 2.4 Ghz amps... is there a battery with 3 USB ports instead of 2?. Or, is there a battery and a different methods otf hooking all 3 amps up?? Also, I really do not seem to be getting the range I thought I would... Is it possible that I am doing something wrong? Everything is hooked up correct and charged... The only thing I can think off is I need 3 amps instead of 2... or the area has too much interferences... But I live in a relatively small town... There are power lines, but nothing major... After hooking up the 2 amps, my longest flight was 8900 feet, but most are around the 5000 range depending on what part of town it is.? My 100% stock P3S flights were only 1000 to 1500 feet. And with just the Itelite antenna I was getting 4500 to 5500 feet....

Sent from my SM-T350 using PhantomPilots mobile app

USB y cord - Google Search

Personally though, I'd go with a different battery. Running them off of USB, they are only getting 5v. I know that that is the minimum that they require, but I'm sure you'd see better performance running them off 11.1v or 12v. You might not even need that third amp if you do that.

Iuse

Amazon.com: DBPOWER DJS40 300A Peak 8000mAh Portable Car Jump Starter for Gas Engine up to 2.5L with Built-in LED Flashlight, Black/Yellow: Automotive

splice them into this

Amazon.com: LOTUS POWER Ec5 Cigarette Lighter Socket Adaptor for Mini Car Battery Booster mini car jump starter: Automotive

51h1MZuIV0L._SL1000_.jpg

Reactions: Matts175
I stayed away from LiPo / LiIon packs because they are subject to degradation when left charged. They are a high power based style of battery.

My choice is based on the Rx based LiFe packs which replace NiMh packs more directly and are lighter / smaller than NiMh ... You can charge up a LiFe pack and leave it for a year and no damage results ... it will still be near full charged as well.

Turnigy nano-tech 1700mAh 2S2P 20~40C LiFePo4 Receiver Pack

23824.jpg

The Rx LiFe packs usually come with 3 leads .... example the 2S (6.6v nominal) 1700mAh :

JST plug for main power out - good to 10A ...
Standard JR servo plug - designed for direct plug into switch harness or Rx
Balance plug for balance charging.

My Boosters 2.4 and 5.8 ...

The 2.4 is 2W output and designed for maximum 5V input. Therefore a simple uBEC is used from the above LiFe pack to give regulated 5V supply.
The 5.8 is supplied direct of the LiFe pack as the amps demand can be easily made by it.

Its easy enough to tap of from the balance lead or the other two if needed. I certainly would never use a USB connection for any of this work. Its too restrictive in its power handling as well as not easy to work with.

Both boosters can be attached direct to antenna stubs without adding to much weight stress, but I intend to modify a Transmitter Tray to carry the LiFe battery, Boosters and new antennas, The Controller can then be just lifted of once antenna leads disconnected. I have the Argtec antenna rail fitted ... the controller then slots into my bag nicely. The boosters and other all held on the tray.

Nigel

I ordered this exact set up with the 2 2.4 GHz Sunhuns amps and 1 5.8 GHZ sunhuns amp. the amps are all 3 flashing like they are supposed to be. Everything appears to be hooked up correctly, but I am really not getting anymore distance than before the amps and battery. With the ItElite Antenna alone I was getting about 8000 to 9000 feet out before losing signal. Since adding the amps and battery, I am getting out about 8000 to 9000 feet out before losing signal.

Reactions: kevinp3s
I was only going to run one 2.4Ghz amp and one 5.8Ghz amp so, I got the battery for that application. However After speaking with several other people I decided to go with 2 2.4 Ghz amps... is there a battery with 3 USB ports instead of 2?. Or, is there a battery and a different methods otf hooking all 3 amps up?? Also, I really do not seem to be getting the range I thought I would... Is it possible that I am doing something wrong? Everything is hooked up correct and charged... The only thing I can think off is I need 3 amps instead of 2... or the area has too much interferences... But I live in a relatively small town... There are power lines, but nothing major... After hooking up the 2 amps, my longest flight was 8900 feet, but most are around the 5000 range depending on what part of town it is.? My 100% stock P3S flights were only 1000 to 1500 feet. And with just the Itelite antenna I was getting 4500 to 5500 feet....

Sent from my SM-T350 using PhantomPilots mobile app
I know this was some time back, but did you ever figure out if you needed more than the 2.5 amp Sunhans? that's what I am starting with and wondered what you may have found out, thanks,

I ordered this exact set up with the 2 2.4 GHz Sunhuns amps and 1 5.8 GHZ sunhuns amp. the amps are all 3 flashing like they are supposed to be. Everything appears to be hooked up correctly, but I am really not getting anymore distance than before the amps and battery. With the ItElite Antenna alone I was getting about 8000 to 9000 feet out before losing signal. Since adding the amps and battery, I am getting out about 8000 to 9000 feet out before losing signal.
I know this was some time back, but did you ever figure out if you needed more than the 2.5 amp Sunhans? that's what I am starting with and wondered what you may have found out, thanks,

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hirehackers