Battery Expansion & Ejection (Puffing / Swelling)

Reaction score
I was talking to a pilot the other day who had a crash where he was flying in Arizona, it was 96 out (stated ambient operating temp of the Phantom 4 Pro is 104). And the Lipo expanded and ejected. He thinks it must have been due to the temps.

Seems like not all LiPo batteries, even from the same manufacturer are identical so maybe it was a faulty battery?

Has anyone else run into this. I'm scared now to fly my drone in anything like above 90 degrees F. I know you aren't supposed to store lipos in the fridge as you can get condensation inside but I'm wondering if anyone else that flies in hot climates briefly chills there batteries in a cooler or something while on site or has other practices specific to the hot climate such as allowing a cool down period for the drone between battery changes?

Reactions: Gregg Kielma
I've had zero issues flying my Phantom 3 Pro in weather such as 25 degrees Celsius (77 Fahrenheit), however the battery does reach temperatures upward of 41.5 degrees Celsius (106.7 Fahrenheit), which requires a 1 to 2 hour cooldown before it can be charged.

I would say store them in a place that is somehow colder than the ambient temperature outside (in an air-conditioned room maybe) for 2 to 3 hours before you fly; what was the battery temperature before that said pilot took off? A temperature range that can cause damage to any LiPo battery is roughly 45 to 50 degrees Celsius (113 to 122 Fahrenheit).

I fly in 90+ weather all the time. I do have a battery that expands as it gets hotter and contracts as it cools down. It is an old battery and because of this, I hardly use it. I blame it on poor maintenance on my part.

If the battery had expanded, there is no way it would have ejected! Quite the opposite. He would have had difficulty removing the battery as they are a close fit anyway.

I have one battery (of 4) for my P3P that inserts hard and ejects hard. Cannot see any swelling. Always works well, so no use being afraid of it, I guess.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cokersean20