Battery Conditioning?

Reaction score
I was just reading a thread on the dji forum with regard to a P3 fail, apparently it lost all power and dropped from 200ft. One of the contributors to the thread insisted that the batteries needed conditioning, one suggestion was to only fly it for about 10 minutes for the first 10 flights.

I have read dji's intelligent flight battery safety guidelines and it makes no mention of this and to be honest I didn't think conditioning was required with new battery technology.

I will be interested to know your thoughts on this and what procedures/guidelines you follow and suggest.

Cheers
Jay

I read through the same post, along with the comments that followed, and it was all news to me. All that said, what was being proposed, to fly slowly and cautiously to begin with, to test everything and get used to all that is new and unfamiliar, would seem to be just good sense.

As far as conditioning a new battery is concerned, I treat everything that's new that is electrical or mechanical with equal caution, the item in question needing to prove to me that it is performing correctly and justifies my trust and confidence.

Reactions: edonovanl
I first heard about the '10 in 10' rule from a dealer video (US drones?) - it seems sensible just to make sure that the battery is OK and working well, as well as giving you a change to get to know the quad and it's operation before heading out on longer flights.

I can't see the P3 being any different to previous phantoms, and with it appealing to a wider audience I'm guessing these forums will soon be filling up with 'death drop' and fly-away' threads from new P3 owners.

update - it was DroneCamp -
To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

Last edited:
I first heard about the '10 in 10' rule from a dealer video (US drones?) - it seems sensible just to make sure that the battery is OK and working well, as well as giving you a change to get to know the quad and it's operation before heading out on longer flights.

I can't see the P3 being any different to previous phantoms, and with it appealing to a wider audience I'm guessing these forums will soon be filling up with 'death drop' and fly-away' threads from new P3 owners.

Oldosc
Hi totally new to this P3 hoping to take delivery next week. I am 77 and just like taking photos of my travels (in an RV ?(Brits call them Motor Homes). I have 2 electric bikes and an Outboard all using Li derived batteries..I M H O all Li derivative need a little while to reach full potential, I never found the ten rule tennable, just two or three gentle usages building up to full use(any one not doing this for old lead acid would soon regret it)The only battery you can really batter is the nickel iron (but try flying with one of those (actually the germans did with buzz bomb, but only for guidance)
Does any one know how long a flight can be with a 30 min battery charge
Thanks
Oldosc

Reactions: Farmer
Oldosc
Hi totally new to this P3 hoping to take delivery next week. I am 77 and just like taking photos of my travels (in an RV ?(Brits call them Motor Homes). I have 2 electric bikes and an Outboard all using Li derived batteries..I M H O all Li derivative need a little while to reach full potential, I never found the ten rule tennable, just two or three gentle usages building up to full use(any one not doing this for old lead acid would soon regret it)The only battery you can really batter is the nickel iron (but try flying with one of those (actually the germans did with buzz bomb, but only for guidance)
Does any one know how long a flight can be with a 30 min battery charge
Thanks
Oldosc

I haven't got the guide to hand but I'm pretty sure it suggests to fully charge the battery each time, what is does suggest to optimize the battery is to fully discharge it in 1 in 20 uses, so I guess that is a sort of conditioning.

Could partially charging the battery have a detrimental effect on it and if so what would that be.

I don't do the 10/10 method but I agree with the people above. Taking it slow and easy for the first few flights to get to know its limitations, flaws/defects (hopefully none) and flight characteristics isn't a bad idea. Especially if you plan on taking it out on a long range or high altitude run. Just my thoughts.

I have been dealing with multi cell LIPO's for my RC stuff for years. I usually completely discharge a new battery then trickle charge it overnight. I don't think it will be an option for these unless there is an adapter I can use on one of my other chargers.

My RC LiPo Chargers will do a complete discharge before charging. I have to wait until my P3P gets delivered so I can see the type of plug used for the battery. I might be able to make an adapter that will work.

I ordered my p3p with an extra battery. I'm curious to see what aftermarket batteries will be available. I've seen some P2 aftermarket batteries that were much more powerful than the stock ones

Oldosc
UK still waiting for P 3 delivery promised mid may, so all we can do is read Forums and salivate..However there were quite a few threads on a P 3 profesional Forum concerning the P 3 will be tied to DJI' battery via some code from the App,

Oldosc
UK still waiting for P 3 delivery promised mid may, so all we can do is read Forums and salivate..However there were quite a few threads on a P 3 profesional Forum concerning the P 3 will be tied to DJI' battery via some code from the App,

I have a P3A coming tomorrow from Heliguy..... although probably wont be able to fly it until mid May due to no IOS app.....:rolleyes:

I was just reading a thread on the dji forum with regard to a P3 fail, apparently it lost all power and dropped from 200ft. One of the contributors to the thread insisted that the batteries needed conditioning, one suggestion was to only fly it for about 10 minutes for the first 10 flights.

I have read dji's intelligent flight battery safety guidelines and it makes no mention of this and to be honest I didn't think conditioning was required with new battery technology.

I will be interested to know your thoughts on this and what procedures/guidelines you follow and suggest.

Cheers
Jay
I don't think the lipo has the major problem in that crash.

I have a P3A coming tomorrow from Heliguy..... although probably wont be able to fly it until mid May due to no IOS app.....:rolleyes:
Hi
am living in Kernow(cornwall) there is a shop in Plymouth so I am awaiting them..If it all goes T.UP(sic) I can drive there and get some satisfaction. Normally I get good satidsfaction on line but this is going to cost 6 weeks pension, so don't want worries. I bought a Galaxy s 10.5 because of the screen. (my lady has sight issues, I can't download the Pilot app although it says I can. Frustration is as bad at 70 as it was at 15, be warned.Please let me know how you get on with the app.
(more info you did not ask for....We were to go to Corsica for a couple of months but Hospital interveined. Next trip end of August is Venice for the Bienalle most Art fair ever)

Reactions: dalebb
I ordered my p3p with an extra battery. I'm curious to see what aftermarket batteries will be available. I've seen some P2 aftermarket batteries that were much more powerful than the stock ones
I seem to recall there were some aftermarket P2 batteries that also caused some P2's to fall from the sky.

I seem to recall there were some aftermarket P2 batteries that also caused some P2's to fall from the sky.
Yeah. And assuming this logged telemetry data actually results in people getting their birds replaced after stuff breaks, the last thing you would want is a denied claim because of an aftermarket battery.

Is there a simple way to discharge the battery other than flying it until crashes?
Turn it on with props removed, do not start motors.

As to Li-Ion/Li-Po batteries - they do not need "conditioning". In general you should avoid excessive discharge/recharge cycles as these are bad for the battery, although you need an occasional one on a Phantom to rebalance the battery.

I think the whole "conditioning" thing originated from old NiCd or NiMH batteries... Although "10 in 10" might be valid just for checking for infant mortality/manufacturing defects - however this is unlikely to really make a difference in this regard, the best you could do for trying to check for battery defects is to stick with very low hovers over soft surfaces (where there is a chance of surviving a power cutoff) for a while.

I have a SkyRC Lipo Balance charger. It came with an assortment of popular connectors, including some with alligator clips on the end. Would it be better to charge our P3 battery with one of those vs the DJI charger? Assuming the DJI Charger gets the job done but perhaps a bit more crudely vs a dedicated Lipo balance charger that might be more precise, etc.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jody.paugh@fullerandsons.