Battery Charging

Reaction score
Hi guys,

So the p3 is bought, the brand new spanking ipad mini 2 bought specifically for the drone alone is bought. The app is out.

Im still holding off flying though before my dealer flies his this evening and reports back with any potential issues.

I think we are nearly ready to go?!

I would love to know, how long it takes to charge the battery and if, eventually (if not already) there will be a charger that connects from your car lighter to the battery to charge those bad boys up when on trips?

Many thanks

Depends on which version you have. I have the Pro version and from around 27% it takes just under a hour.
The Advanced version takes a little longer to charge.

Reactions: paulsheaves
Mine was down to 14% last flight seemed like it charged it less than an hour. I left my house went and picked up my kids across town came home it was done.

I must say I'm thoroughly impressed so far with the battery life and charge time.

As mentioned, the Pro's charger charges a little faster. I used my Pro charger and from 20% to 100% took 80 minutes (I timed it).

Same here with the bird (Pro), less than an hour. I'm charging the controller now. How long does that take?

Same here with the bird (Pro), less than an hour. I'm charging the controller now. How long does that take?
Pretty long. But it takes very long to deplete the Tx battery. If charging the Tx is keeping you from flying right now, go fly. There's plenty of juice in it from the factory. Charge it when you're done. That's what I did anyway, without problems.

I'm upgrading the bird now and charging the controller at the same time. After that I do an IMU calibration on the bird after that a compass and gimbal callibration and after that ready to fly.

I've logged 57mins of flight time and my TX was showing 3 lights off a full charge

Not sure about a car charger. Maybe. I purchased an inverter to charge in the field. I have a couple of deep cycle batteries I use to charge my heli batteries. I purchased an extra power cord and I think I'm good to go as far as travel and charging.

You guys know if it's ok to charge the battery immediately after a flight? The discharge gets the battery pretty warm and I wouldnt want to harm the battery's life by charging it while still warm.

You guys know if it's ok to charge the battery immediately after a flight? The discharge gets the battery pretty warm and I wouldnt want to harm the battery's life by charging it while still warm.
It wont let you charge it if it's too warm.

It wont let you charge it if it's too warm.

This may be the cause of recharge times people are reporting being all over the map.

I've noticed if I deplete the battery down in to the teens or lower it's too hot to immediately charge. If I pull it at say 40%, it usually starts charging immediately. You can determine this by watching the green LEDs on the battery immediately after you plug it in. If they start sequentially start walking up (if you're over 25% charged when you charge it), you're good. If the green LED furthest from the red light is flashing, you're below 25% and you're still good... battery is charging. If That same LED blinks one or twice, then immediately switches to the LED closest to the red one and flashing rapidly, you're in a holding pattern. The battery is NOT charging and will not charge until it's cooled to some safe temperature. If you're charging in a vehicle through a power inverter, DONT. It'll NEVER switch over. I placed mine on the ground under my car last weekend to speed the cooling process so it would recharge again. I left it in the truck and the greenhouse effect prevented it from charging for over an hour.

Reactions: F6Rider
This may be the cause of recharge times people are reporting being all over the map.

I've noticed if I deplete the battery down in to the teens or lower it's too hot to immediately charge. If I pull it at say 40%, it usually starts charging immediately. You can determine this by watching the green LEDs on the battery immediately after you plug it in. If they start sequentially start walking up (if you're over 25% charged when you charge it), you're good. If the green LED furthest from the red light is flashing, you're below 25% and you're still good... battery is charging. If That same LED blinks one or twice, then immediately switches to the LED closest to the red one and flashing rapidly, you're in a holding pattern. The battery is NOT charging and will not charge until it's cooled to some safe temperature. If you're charging in a vehicle through a power inverter, DONT. It'll NEVER switch over. I placed mine on the ground under my car last weekend to speed the cooling process so it would recharge again. I left it in the truck and the greenhouse effect prevented it from charging for over an hour.

Well maybe in your area if you leave it in the car. Remember there are more places on earth other than the area you are charging :)

Well maybe in your area if you leave it in the car. Remember there are more places on earth other than the area you are charging :)

I live in New Hampshire. Probably one of the coldest zones in the country. Greenhouse effect is a ***** no matter where you live. Direct sunlight makes a vehicle hot inside very quickly and if you're waiting for a hot battery to cool, probably best to keep it out of the greenhouse :)

If you're charging in a vehicle through a power inverter, DONT. It'll NEVER switch over. I placed mine on the ground under my car last weekend to speed the cooling process so it would recharge again. I left it in the truck and the greenhouse effect prevented it from charging for over an hour.

Other than the greenhouse effect heating the car, are there any adverse effects to the health of the battery by charging it with an inverter in a car? Used to be baaack in the day people recommended against charging a cell phone in the car, but that may be totally outdated advice..?

Also does quality of the inverter matter or are they all the same?

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jody.paugh@fullerandsons.