Battery Charging and Temperature

Reaction score
Living in Arizona in the summer poses more than human challenges. The temps outside have been hovering around 108. I keep the p3 in the garage. So I needed to do an update thought well I'll charge the battery..in the garage. I've got three batteries so put the newest one on the charger...not really charging...put batt 2 on..nothing..batt three on...nothing.

Thought I better check the manual to see what might be the problem. Hmmm charger doesn't work above 40C,,,well that's 104F.

Brought the charger in the house temp about 80, and sure enough charged the battery in no time..lesson learned!

With electronics the best rule of thumb is if you are comfortable so is the electronics. If your to hot Well..... So is the equipment.

I highly recommend keeping your LiPo batteries inside your house where it's cooler at all times, and out of the sun. I can remember reading a thread in the past of a person losing his entire house due to a LiPo fire. I can't remember all of the details of the situation, but one thing is for sure, these batteries hold a lot of potential energy. Just dropping one in the right manner could cause a cell to get punctured and/or cause a short, which could result in the LiPo bursting into flames. You can find videos on YouTube that demonstrate just how volatile a LiPo battery can be. They also do not like warm temperatures.. But that has more of an effect on how many cycles you get out of them. I still would not take any risks by keeping them in such hot temperatures for extended periods of time.

LiPo's like to be comfortable just like humans. Never leave your LiPo's in the garage (or any where) when there are going to be any extremes in temperature be it hot or cold.

My batteries are stored inside my house in LiPo storage bags. I also recommend allowing your P3 batteries to rest a day or two before you recharge them to allow the internal cell chemistry to normalize.

keep charger and batteries out of sun. It scares me a lot when all batteries started flashing 1 light when trying to charge them. Too hot. We removed them from sun and waited half an hour. They cooled down and charged normally

I highly recommend keeping your LiPo batteries inside your house where it's cooler at all times, and out of the sun. I can remember reading a thread in the past of a person losing his entire house due to a LiPo fire. I can't remember all of the details of the situation, but one thing is for sure, these batteries hold a lot of potential energy. Just dropping one in the right manner could cause a cell to get punctured and/or cause a short, which could result in the LiPo bursting into flames. You can find videos on YouTube that demonstrate just how volatile a LiPo battery can be. They also do not like warm temperatures.. But that has more of an effect on how many cycles you get out of them. I still would not take any risks by keeping them in such hot temperatures for extended periods of time.
My friends son lost his house to a LiPo battery being charged in the garage. So speaking about charging, I thought the Pro had a faster battery charger? It seems like I need to charge my batteries for over an hour.

Sent from my SM-N910T using Tapatalk

Also I charge everything in a metal ammo container I got at a military surplus store. Now I don't worry about burning down the house.

Sent from my SM-N910T using Tapatalk

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mactechnic