Old Battery Help

Reaction score
Hi, I have a phantom 4 I got as a gift a few years ago along with 3 batteries. I only used it a couple times and then it sat in its case with one battery in it and the 2 next to it for probably close to 2 years. I was unaware of the proper storing procedures of the batteries and really didn't have any free time to ever use the drone. Recently with being home more due to covid and having more free time I decided I was going to start trying to use it more. I just purchased the 3 battery charging hub from DJI and took the batteries out. When I pressed the power button on the batteries all 3 turned on and showed only 1 bar. I put all 3 in the charging hub and they all showed they were charging. The next day I came back and 2 of the batteries showed fully charged and 1 the hub showed no battery detected.

Now with this battery when I pressed the power button I got no response (the previous day it lit up with 1 bar). When I plugged it into the charger directly or the hub it would flash green for a second, then nothing. I tried leaving it on the charger directly overnight and nothing happened so that battery seemed dead.

One of the two batteries that showed fully charged i put in the drone today to power it up and learn the app again. When I checked the battery condition it showed 16.3 volts total. All 4 cells were different voltages, one was 4.2, another 3.6, etc. After going through the app for a little bit but not flying it I put that battery back in the charging hub and it showed it charging again.

Now a few hours later I came back, the battery I tried using but the cells were all different shows 4 bars again, the other battery is still not charging or recognized by the hub, and the 3rd battery that showed that it had fully charged but I had done nothing with is now also not recognized by the hub and wont power on like the other one.

Are all of these batteries just really expensive paper weights now? Is there anything I can do to revive them or send them to be refurbished? Im really kicking myself for not learning more about it when I received it and getting the charging hub with the storage mode at the time.

Happy new year
Ok up most probably lost a battery or 2,I have also,,they can enter hybination mode but the time frame if they fall below 2 odd volts the charger wont start them up again,,some get clever and take battery apart and trickle charge a bit to help jump start it to work on the dji charger again,,risky doin this so if you can you might have to just get some new or good 2nds off Ebay or similar,,even if in storage myself will not let the voltage drop past 2 lights max just for the fear off more dying,I have a few paper weights lol,,do a search on hybination mode for a read,it does metion how to wake them up but hardly ever works unless left on charger which is risky in itself,,

I’ve read that, the weird thing with mine is they all showed charging initially, 2 then showed fully charged the next day and then they stopped powering on or being recognized. And the other one is fully charged but all4 cells are different voltage, so I’m guessing they’re all toast?

2 years with no attention likely did some irreversible damage. Sounds like 2 of them are toast. The 3rd that has uneven cell voltages may be salvageable. That one I would fully charge (power the battery on before connecting the charger directly to it, do not use the hub) then insert it into the P4, power up and hover close by. Keep a close eye on the battery level and be ready to land at a moment's notice. Hover as long as possible to cycle the battery. Land, let the battery cool then charge fully again. The cell voltages might start to even out. If you notice swelling of the battery then its life is pretty much over. Good luck!

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mactechnic