Batteries

Reaction score
Guys being a newbie could you clarify some points for me pls around the batteries.
1, When stored is it ok to leave a battering in the drone or should it be removed?
2, is it right that if I'm not going to be using the drone for a few days then the batteries shouldn't be stored away fully charged?

Sorry if this is stupid questions but would like the batteries to last as long as possible.

Batteries can be left in drone.
Batteries auto discharge after the time you can set/change in DJI go.
Batteries should not be left fully charged, but auto discharge will run them down. Just run drone to 50% and it will be ok.

Batteries can be left in drone.
Batteries auto discharge after the time you can set/change in DJI go.
Batteries should not be left fully charged, but auto discharge will run them down. Just run drone to 50% and it will be ok.
Cool cheers mate, I'll try and run the battery down a little before I go to work

The default time to discharge setting is 10 days, but you can decrease that setting to make the auto discharge process start sooner. You'll have to change the setting for each battery while your Phantom is connected to DJI GO. You can find that setting here:

DJI-GO-Battery-Time-To-Discharge.jpg

Reactions: GrammatonxXXxCleric
Hi Msinger!

I see how you set the settings to auto discharge in 2 days. I am assuming that this occuring when you turned off the P3 and wallked away. The discharging is taking place eventhough the P3 is shut down correct?

Can you explain? Obviously you know much more than I do. Your answers are so vague.

Vague?
The discharge takes place with the battery turned off, therefore drone is also off.
Discharge takes place whether it is in the drone or not.
The obvious alternative is just don't recharge your battery after you have flown, although there are conflicting ideas at what the ideal residual charge left in a battery should be....just don't let it run down to zero.
There are also some people that say the batteries swell slightly when they discharge and shouldn't be left in the drone for fear of damage.
Ying and yang I am afraid, it's the nature of forums and independent thought

Last edited:
The battery's have a built in circuit board that looks after charge / discharge ....

For normal charging when battery is quite low - you can just connect to power block supplied and it will charge up. If the battery is just to be topped up - then you first switch on battery - then connect to power block to make sure you get nax charge.

Discharge to storage is controlled either by user connecting a discharger with battery switched on or just as others show - set the number of days before it automatically starts discharge. 10 days in my mind is too long so I set for 3days.
If you rely on the automatic - do not switch on battery as this 'resets' the battery and the days till discharge starts again.

The manual has section on this.

Nigel

Thanks for feedback! I ordered the P3S this week and waiting for it to be delivered.

Thanks for feedback! I ordered the P3S this week and waiting for it to be delivered.

While waiting for it ... get onto DJI website and download the complete set of manuals .... They do not include these in the box ... you need to download.

Read through and believe me - all the usual beginners questions are answered. Of course more detailed info - ask here !

Nigel

About batteries - for those living as I do in 'cold' winter regions ... today is -15C where I live - had a brilliant flight over the frozen river ... but anyway - a good tool to have is the Heated Bag ...

Turnigy Programmable Lipo Battery Warmer Bag (12v DC)

33990.jpg

Excellent ..... keeps 2 batterys nice and warm ready for use ... an old 3S LiPo or even plug into the cigarette lighter socket in car ...

Nigel

Living in England what the weather man says and what the weather do are two different things. I find myself charging my batteries say on a Friday and by Sunday still haven't been able to fly. So I bought myself a telsin battery dishcharger from amazon for about 10 English pounds. This plugs onto your battery and has a light bulb on it. You turn your battery on and the light comes on and you just keep checking it until you are around 50%. Takes about 2 hours. You can also use it to charge your phone or tablet as it has a USB port on it. I just searched for phantom 3 battery discharger on amazon. Hope this helps. Just better than using the auto discharge which I've found not to be great.

Sent from my SM-A310F using PhantomPilots mobile app

Living in England what the weather man says and what the weather do are two different things. I find myself charging my batteries say on a Friday and by Sunday still haven't been able to fly. So I bought myself a telsin battery dishcharger from amazon for about 10 English pounds. This plugs onto your battery and has a light bulb on it. You turn your battery on and the light comes on and you just keep checking it until you are around 50%. Takes about 2 hours. You can also use it to charge your phone or tablet as it has a USB port on it. I just searched for phantom 3 battery discharger on amazon. Hope this helps. Just better than using the auto discharge which I've found not to be great.

Sent from my SM-A310F using PhantomPilots mobile app

I have similar ... on mine it has a switch on the side where I can select discharge to storage of 50% or discharge to 'zero' 3.0V level ...
With LED bulb and USB same ...

Nigel

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dlr11164