Bad motor on my 3mo old P4

Reaction score
I think I have a bad motor on my bird!!!!! I'm sooo bummed. The right front motor when viewed from above has a rattling noise. That's the best way I can describe it. Wondering if anyone else has had this issue? It certainly doesn't SOUND right. The bird seems to fly ok. I just noticed it after the last couple flights when shutting down the motors, you can hear a rattling / clunking sound. Today when I heard it I actually decided to check the bird out and spun the motors by hand and discovered the noise was isolated to one motor.

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

DJI support... Online chat seems to be worthless.. mentioned my noise and they asked if I calibrated the IMU!!!!! I've heard mixed reviews on their support, iI'm hoping this

Any thing going wrong with the motor during flights is very critical but it's easy to look into the assembly if you find any thing loose. Else you should go for the replacement of P4.

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots

Any thing going wrong with the motor during flights is very critical but it's easy to look into the assembly if you find any thing loose. Else you should go for the replacement of P4.

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots

Hence my great concern... The bird flies ok for now, but at some point if this becomes a serious issue, the bird won't be safe on the ground

To make repair process much easier, DJI has now
made the Online Repair Request available for American customers, please visit:

https://repair.dji.com/en/SelfRepair/Area and fill in all the information required on the
website and you’ll get a case number automatically. DJI will send you a
shipping label within 24-48 business hours after a case number is generated.

Lets see what happens!

Officially got my quote. Phantom arrived at DJI today, and I already got my receipt of the drone confirmation,and multiple emails as it went through the process. Now only a couple hours later I have my quote confirming a bad motor and that it will be warrantied. No charge. Would have cost $83.
6e190f0a44d9b2ee802efc8d2dbfcccb.jpg

Sent from my VS987 using PhantomPilots mobile app

I think I have a bad motor on my bird!!!!! I'm sooo bummed.
Pls..can u check mine...I have a similar issue...but the noise is not as loud as yours.

Sounds like mine. I'm not convinced it was ever an issue, but to be safe I contacted DJI and they advised me to send it in and they replaced the motor. The problem is there's no room for error when you're airborne with a quad copter. If it ever IS a real problem, you're done for. Lots of pieces of expensive plastic and metal and circuits everywhere... I'd contact support and send it in myself...they're fast and I'm on the other coast..

I'm not convinced it was ever an issue
I just contacted DJI chat service and showed my video. They told me it is normal. However, I am still wondering why 2 of the motors are totally silent.

Pls..can u check mine...I have a similar issue...but the noise is not as loud as yours.

Here is a video that I stumbled upon yesterday. It sounds like what may be going on with your copter.

Reactions: Erised
Here is a video that I stumbled upon yesterday. It sounds like what may be going on with your copter.
Thank you , my friend, issue solved thanks to your solution. I really appreciate it.

Thank you , my friend, issue solved thanks to your solution. I really appreciate it.

Awesome. I'm glad it was that easy. Happy Flying!

Thats quite informative in case this problem comes up down the track

DJI just shipped mine back today after QA testing

Yeah, it sounds like you may have had a bit more going on, or possibly a combination of things.

Glad you get it back soon. You'll be flying again in no time..

Thats quite informative in case this problem comes up down the track

I agree. It's amazing how this issue causes a sound that would totally make you think it was the motor bearing, and it probably 'refers' the vibration through the prop thereby also making it feel like there is an actual 'grinding' going on. I think the key then, is to do as jbrown did and check for any abnormality with the props off as well.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mactechnic