Backpack to take P3 and two DSLRs

Reaction score
I'm looking for a backpack that can take my P3, two Nikon DSLRs, two lenses (50mm and 24-70mm) and 15' laptop and iPad mini. I was looking at the Lowepro 450 but I'm hearing it's borderline for airline carry on and size wise it looks like a bit of a beast.

I know this sounds like a lot of gear but I think it can work if the space is used effectively. The DJI backpack would maybe fit it all but I'm not that keen on paying almost $500 for a backpack.

Reactions: Ari
Take a look at the Think Tank Airport Helipak. It's on the high side for backpack ($239) but the quality is worth it in my opinion. You can tell they put a lot of thought into it. Anyway, it might be tough with some beastly DSLRs, but I can fit a mirrorless and three lenses, H5 audio recorder, 15" laptop, other various bits, and all of my P3 gear.

Last edited:
Thanks for the info Weathabee, looks pretty similar to the Lowepro 450 in terms of size and shape. No issues using it as carry on?

I haven't traveled with it yet, but that is definitely top of mind for me as well. Taking it out of the country in a month. In comparison to another bulky bag I have (Mountainsmith Parallax) the depth on the Helipak (9") looks more conducive to overhead storage. I feel confident about it, and I'm only worried about small commuter jets, so I'll do my best to avoid those!

Yeah, I've heard a lot of people say the same (re smaller planes). Ideally I would like the bag to have depth where the P3 sits and taper in at the top but I think because of the weight the DSLRs would have to be at the bottom. Otherwise I guess I'd get a hard case just for the P3 that'll sit inside my checked luggage and pray for baggage handler mercy. :)

asa.jpg

I've got the helipak and its fine for carry on (at present) but I think you'll struggle with two camera bodies and the lenses. If you put one battery in the P3 and only carried one additional you could probably handle one body and the lenses.

If you are referring to the DJI, Manfrotto, Kata backpack then I also have that and you'll never fit in an DSLR. It barely fits the P3 and controller let alone anything else. At most I have managed the P3 with two batteries, controller, iPad 2 mini, 13" laptop and a compact camera.

I've got the helipak and its fine for carry on (at present) but I think you'll struggle with two camera bodies and the lenses. If you put one battery in the P3 and only carried one additional you could probably handle one body and the lenses.

If you are referring to the DJI, Manfrotto, Kata backpack then I also have that and you'll never fit in an DSLR. It barely fits the P3 and controller let alone anything else. At most I have managed the P3 with two batteries, controller, iPad 2 mini, 13" laptop and a compact camera.

Good to know sdharris. Without a person for scale, sometimes it's hard to get a sense of size of some backpacks. The DJI backpack looks quite big here but maybe he's a small man :)

Screen Shot 2015-07-06 at 7.41.04 pm.png

Good to know sdharris. Without a person for scale, sometimes it's hard to get a sense of size of some backpacks. The DJI backpack looks quite big here but maybe he's a small man :)

View attachment 24028

LOL he could be ;-) A few weeks back I posted pictures of the KATA which is the same design as the above Manfrotto/DJI - http://www.phantompilots.com/media/albums/kata-version-of-dji-backpack-with-phantom-3.37/ the only difference is the DJI version as specially designed separators in the main compartment.

The only problem with the helipak is that its large for walking around while traveling, you almost need two. One to transport the gear on the flight and then another for the Phantom with the DSLR around your neck for when you arrive.

LOL he could be ;-) A few weeks back I posted pictures of the KATA which is the same design as the above Manfrotto/DJI - http://www.phantompilots.com/media/albums/kata-version-of-dji-backpack-with-phantom-3.37/ the only difference is the DJI version as specially designed separators in the main compartment.

The only problem with the helipak is that its large for walking around while traveling, you almost need two. One to transport the gear on the flight and then another for the Phantom with the DSLR around your neck for when you arrive.

Cool, thanks. I am actually a man of slighter frame, so I would prefer not to look like an 8 year old going to school with a full school bag when I travel for work. :)

The depth seems to be the main factor, which usually means the overall bag size is large. Is there any bag that'll take a P3 and is able to be stowed under an airline seat? Looks like the average seat stowage is about 10 inches high with the P3 being 7.5ish.

Last edited:
I actually collected some sizes when I was looking at options awhile back, just so I could compare everything together. Here's what I've got for a few of the popular packs (L x W x D in inches):

Think Tank Airport Helipak - 20.5 x 14 x 9
DJI / Manfrotto / Kata - 18.1 x 13 x 10.6
DJI Hardshell - 17.6 x 12.5 x 9
Go Professional - 23 x 14 x 9

Reactions: dub23
I actually collected some sizes when I was looking at options awhile back, just so I could compare everything together. Here's what I've got for a few of the popular packs (L x W x D in inches):

Think Tank Airport Helipak - 20.5 x 14 x 9
DJI / Manfrotto / Kata - 18.1 x 13 x 10.6
DJI Hardshell - 17.6 x 12.5 x 9
Go Professional - 23 x 14 x 9

Nice one Weathabee, good to compare them side by side.

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Pauos31