back up battery inside GPS module ?

Reaction score
Has anyone investigated the back up battery in the GPS module.
Has anyone changed one
Is it a rechargeable cell, Capacitor(Super Cap) or lithium
If the battery goes flat does this cause long GPS startup & time to acquire ?

Last edited:
Yes it does but it does look like there's a backup battery on the PCB right near the edge of the PCB. Large round component.
Whoops this has been discussed before GPS battery
Guys, sorry to waste your time. Keith

Yes it does but it does look like there's a backup battery on the PCB right near the edge of the PCB. Large round component.
Whoops this has been discussed before GPS battery
Guys, sorry to waste your time. Keith
I noticed this on my Phantom 3... As well on my Parrot Bebop 2...I think this is to power a chip as to remember it's coordinates so that you don't have to calibrate the compass every single time... like on more toy like drones... But I do believe that if this battery goes completely dead... that the compass will have to be calibrated every single time the Drone is started up... That's why even if you don't actually fly it's good to put a battery in your drone every once in awhile as to charge these little miniature lithium polymer batteries that are rechargeable for the GPS modules.

I noticed this on my Phantom 3... As well on my Parrot Bebop 2...I think this is to power a chip as to remember it's coordinates so that you don't have to calibrate the compass every single time... like on more toy like drones... But I do believe that if this battery goes completely dead... that the compass will have to be calibrated every single time the Drone is started up... That's why even if you don't actually fly it's good to put a battery in your drone every once in awhile as to charge these little miniature lithium polymer batteries that are rechargeable for the GPS modules.
The backup battery is there to retain the Ephemeris data from the GPS satellites. If it goes completely dead the data is not readily available if the drone is powered off and it will take longer to establish position when the drone is powered back on.

These batteries do recharge while the drone is powered up. If it gets very low it takes quite awhile to fully recharge. If you fly at least 30 minutes a month the battery will usually stay charged enough to retain the ephemeris data.

The compass calibration data is stored in nonvolatile memory in the aircraft so the flight controller has access to it on power up.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hirehackers