Avoiding DJI updates in future ... what..

Reaction score
... would happen?? Will my device anytime getting a problem like “take off denied”?? What do you think? Greetz Nicelife

Will my device anytime getting a problem like “take off denied”?
Most likely not. DJI rarely forces updates. And, if they do, it'll definitely be an update you'll want to install.

20171106_194527.jpg
My 2 cents on this --I was one never to update,keept working around firmware prompts for ages,one day I turned all off to because wouldn't let me past blue go fly,turned back know thinking it would clear,no ,red lights craft locked,worked around that for while (anoying)so did firmware good to this day.just my experience with not updating so I do now BUT read carefully anything I install,:),,this pic I saved while figuring it out

I would NOT update EVER if it is flying fine like it is. You are only asking for trouble if you do. In fact I was fortunate enough to be able to roll back my P4P to a version before DJI could get their grubby hands on it and take control of it grounding me at THEIR will.

Reactions: Phill2
I switch to Litchi about a year ago. Deleted DJI GO and used only Litchi. I never see stuff from DJI requiring me to update anything and have had zero problems for a year! I consider Litchi a superior app over anything DJI has released. Litchi’s latest update I noticed shows no fly zones on its maps.
Thanks
Jim
WA5TEF

I switch to Litchi about a year ago. Deleted DJI GO and used only Litchi. I never see stuff from DJI requiring me to update anything and have had zero problems for a year! I consider Litchi a superior app over anything DJI has released. Litchi’s latest update I noticed shows no fly zones on its maps.
Thanks
Jim
WA5TEF

So there’s no need to have DJI GO app installed in order to let LITCHI read some data? I mean: IMU calibration data and so on? Some say it’s necessary to have both installed on your device. Just got litchi because I want no more crapware from DJI and I was wondering about it...can anyone “enlighten” me a little bit? Thank you in advance.

No! DJI GO is not needed at all! It was so buggey that I junked it After I used Litchi and saw in my opinion that it was superior DJI GO I deleted it and definitely have not needed it! The Litchi Waypoint missions alone are worth switching to Litchi.
Thanks
Jim
WA5TEF

Thank you Jim, that’s so helpful. But I have a question how do you carry on an IMU, RC or GIMBAL calibrations? Is that possible in Litchi? Sorry if I’m asking too much, I just wanna make the right choice here! Greetings!!

I’m not sure. I’ve not had to do anything but compass calibration. I suppose you would need DJI for that. Maybe someone else will know.
Good luck
Jim
WA5TEF

Maybe if the IMU calibration is already done and also the GIMBAL calibration you may only need to calibrate your compass when you’re moving away from your regular GPS location. So that would make sense only using Litchi itself...(I just wanna maje the right move here away from DJI’s crap firmware as I could roll back to previous July version and now my bird flies like a dream again) Thank you again Jim and the crew.

Maybe if the IMU calibration is already done and also the GIMBAL calibration you may only need to calibrate your compass when you’re moving away from your regular GPS location. So that would make sense only using Litchi itself...(I just wanna maje the right move here away from DJI’s crap firmware as I could roll back to previous July version and now my bird flies like a dream again) Thank you again Jim and the crew.

You can still do calibrations using DJI go with your tablet in airplane mode. Just don’t open Go while connected to internet if you’re trying to avoid any forced crap. I have flown 4 1/2hrs away (291 miles) from the original calibration location with no problems at all. I also use Litchi, but Go is needed occasionally for certain setting changes.

That’s really clarifying there JohnnyB. I still use DJI GO 4.1.0 app (iOS - downgraded it) as the newer versions were not OK on old firmware (which is working beautifully) hence my interest in moving away from DJI’s firmwares and new apps that tend to control how we fly our birds. I must then upgrade only my DJI GO app and calibrate this and that when prompted, then close everything and work exclusively with Litchi. Does Litchi allow me to use it while my iPhone 6s is in airplane mode? I’m guessing it will, but just asking. You guys were really helpful! Thank you very much again!!!

That’s really clarifying there JohnnyB. I still use DJI GO 4.1.0 app (iOS - downgraded it) as the newer versions were not OK on old firmware (which is working beautifully) hence my interest in moving away from DJI’s firmwares and new apps that tend to control how we fly our birds. I must then upgrade only my DJI GO app and calibrate this and that when prompted, then close everything and work exclusively with Litchi. Does Litchi allow me to use it while my iPhone 6s is in airplane mode? I’m guessing it will, but just asking. You guys were really helpful! Thank you very much again!!!

Yes, it will work with Litchi as well in airplane mode. You’ll need to cache maps in the area you’ll be flying in, though. Open Litchi maps and zoom in on the area you’ll be flying in (while connected to internet) move the map in the whole area you expect to fly in and it will cache that area then maps should work while in airplane mode. I said “should” because for whatever reason once it didn’t cache for me.. but usually it will.

Reactions: ferrete37
You can still do calibrations using DJI go with your tablet in airplane mode. Just don’t open Go while connected to internet if you’re trying to avoid any forced crap. I have flown 4 1/2hrs away (291 miles) from the original calibration location with no problems at all. I also use Litchi, but Go is needed occasionally for certain setting changes.
I don't calibrate the compass and have never had any probs nor have I been asked to calibrate.

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dlr11164