Avoiding confiscation at international airports - ideas wanted.

Reaction score
What are your options if your drone is being eyed for confiscation upon arrival at an international destination?

Assume you've researched your destination and believe it to be drone-friendly. You learn upon arrival drones are not allowed and customs will attempt to confiscate on the spot. What are the options? Obviously, some of these options require a cost analysis.

1. Bribe - Sometimes a few crisp $100 bills can solve problems. Sometimes one can get in more trouble.

2. Exit - offering to leave immediately on the next flight out to a drone-friendly destination. Requires flight information beforehand and willingness to sacrifice a day of travel and its costs, or perhaps an entire destination for an alternate.

3. Relinquish - One may not have a choice but if I was giving up my drone, I'd be sure to ask for a receipt, information cards, and anything that might help to retrieve it on the way out. Document with photos, if possible.

4. Imprisonment - I would define this not as an option but an involuntary outcome.

Your ideas are welcome, please.

Reactions: IflyinWY
I fly all the time with mine and have never had an issue

Thanks, Gordon, but not the question I was asking. I flew with mine into Yangon last November, and never had a problem. Now I hear they're confiscating on arrival.

What I'm really exploring are options to mitigate risk.

Ive only flown to Hawaii with a Trex450 heli the made me take it out of the hard case because they couldnt tell what was all in it. they at first didnt want to open it fearing the worst. I told them what it was. They then opened it and was afraid to take it out. I told them I would be very happy to take it out with just my thumbs and index finders slowly to show it to them and explained it all to them. they agreed and were ok with it after inspection. also on my flight back I had an over night layover in the airport in Texas. At 3am or whatever really late time it was, I flew it in the airport. Gards came looked and watched I immediately landed and said I'm sorry I was just killing time. they said Its ok just please not to fly around anyone and if you do damages I have to pay for them. I guess It just really depends on your canter and willingness to help the situation and understand people fear of wires silver blocks with wires" batteries" and radio controllers. Too many Hollywood movies. Also in the US if you put a Gun part in it and your own lock they cant touch it ;) Ive never tested this but thats what I hear. Again Im only internet smart. Ive only flown with in the US once with RC with me, this was post 9/11.

Have you guys flied to US ? There is any problem to carry the drone with you, or do we need to dispatch ?
I'm going from Canada to Texas.

Thanks, Gordon, but not the question I was asking. I flew with mine into Yangon last November, and never had a problem. Now I hear they're confiscating on arrival.

What I'm really exploring are options to mitigate risk.

Find somebody or one of your friends going there before you and have them take a Syma X5C and see what happens to them..... test run...

If they confiscate it will cost $50... If not maybe your friend will upgrade to a Phantom :)

Last edited:
If you are in country that bans drones from entering the country...
There might be a business to rent out drones...
Just need to establish a sweetspot for deposit $$$...

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Pauos31