Aviation Groups Seek Full Regulation of Drones

Reaction score
Last edited:
Airline Pilots Association along with the National Air Traffic Controllers Association is asking congress to regulate recreational drones due to the recent Las Vegas overflyer incident with the FPV drone. Might be the end of the AMA Hobbyist ruling and who knows what's in store next, maybe mandatory 107's.

https://flightsafety.org/aviation-groups-seek-full-regulation-drones-faa/

and

Aviation Groups Ask For More Regulation Of Hobby Drones
the first link did not work for me but this one does in its place:

Foundation Urges ICAO, Governments to Accelerate Regulation, Oversight of Recreational Drones - Flight Safety Foundation

does this mean that we will soon need to pay more or become actual pilots?

the first link did not work for me but this one does in its place:

Foundation Urges ICAO, Governments to Accelerate Regulation, Oversight of Recreational Drones - Flight Safety Foundation

does this mean that we will soon need to pay more or become actual pilots?

I'm not sure how far it could go but I seriously doubt you'll have to get your Pilot's License to fly as a hobbyist in the US. It very well "could" require you to get some variation of FAA's Part 107 which I think is a GREAT idea to begin with and always have.

Reactions: JoBe and sar104
Just an observation, but it seems almost to the point of ridiculous to try to suggest that you would need a part 107 just to be able to fly a spark or an air recreationally without making any money on them. This will turn into the same type of thing as guns and gun control. the more you try to control it going to just generate more negative behavior and everything else people will try to be sneaking around and certainly not following the rules. Once again people are the problem. If you can control human behavior that would be a beautiful thing, but obviously nobody would be on board with that!

Just an observation, but it seems almost to the point of ridiculous to try to suggest that you would need a part 107 just to be able to fly a spark or an air recreationally without making any money on them. This will turn into the same type of thing as guns and gun control. the more you try to control it going to just generate more negative behavior and everything else people will try to be sneaking around and certainly not following the rules. Once again people are the problem. If you can control human behavior that would be a beautiful thing, but obviously nobody would be on board with that!

Did you just try to make an argument that all laws are pointless?

Reactions: BigAl07

Doesn't seem ridiculous at all. People have been doing stupid things for way too long with drones, and there really need to be actual consequences for actions, as well as licenses, to discourage these idiots from breaking the law and endangering others for the sheer sake of their own amusement. What you are insinuating is that the creation of licenses for driving created more negative behavior and sneaking around, which really doesn't seem to be the case.

Reactions: Wilbur and BigAl07

What is ridiculous to me is a HOBBY flyer being able to fly in the NAS with no laws or rules but a set of "Community Based Guidelines". That's like saying, "It's ok to drive your sports car on the highway so long as you aren't making any $$ at it. You don't have to follow the LAWS of the road simply because you're driving for fun". That makes no sense what so ever and it basically puts everyone else on the road in danger.

All aviators should have to prove they understand Aviation Laws and Regulations before they are allowed to fly a sUAS that is capable of Autonomous Flight(GPS Guidance), Self Stabilization (Gyro Systems), able to fly higher than 100'AGL and further than 400' laterally. If it can fly in the NAS then why in the world would you NOT have to know and obey the existing laws of the NAS.

Again why should a hobby flyer NOT be expected to know, understand, and demonstrate that understanding of Aviation Laws? I studied, took a written test, and took a hands-on driving demonstration test in order to drive my personal vehicle on the road "for pleasure" so why would operating in the NAS be any different?

With all due respect, the Part 107 test is not difficult to pass and gives some great exposure to aviation that every sUAS really could use to help increase their safety and situations awareness of the NAS. I would like to see a Section 336 test that is a copy of Part 107. I think P107 should be more involved because Part 107 only touches the surface and I think it should require hands-on flight proficiency as well as Emergency Operations for when things don't go as planned.

[QUOTE="BigAl07

Again why should a hobby flyer NOT be expected to know, understand, and demonstrate that understanding of Aviation Laws? I studied, took a written test, and took a hands-on driving demonstration test in order to drive my personal vehicle on the road "for pleasure" so why would operating in the NAS be any different?[/QUOTE]

Thank you for giving such an awesome example.

Your right, we all are required to take tests to drive a car down the road. BUT, the test is generally taken because its REQUIRED and look around you tomorrow while driving down the road and see how well required test work. Speeding, running stop signs and stop lights, texting while driving, following to close and pulling out in front of people has all been solved because of the testing- right ? People drive stupid because they choose to, not because they dont know better. How many drone instances will be soved by required test. Im gonna say very few.
So thanks again for such an awesome example of why your wish for testing would be a huge fail.

Again why should a hobby flyer NOT be expected to know, understand, and demonstrate that understanding of Aviation Laws? I studied, took a written test, and took a hands-on driving demonstration test in order to drive my personal vehicle on the road "for pleasure" so why would operating in the NAS be any different?

Thank you for giving such an awesome example.

Your right, we all are required to take tests to drive a car down the road. BUT, the test is generally taken because its REQUIRED and look around you tomorrow while driving down the road and see how well required test work. Speeding, running stop signs and stop lights, texting while driving, following to close and pulling out in front of people has all been solved because of the testing- right ? People drive stupid because they choose to, not because they dont know better. How many drone instances will be soved by required test. Im gonna say very few.
So thanks again for such an awesome example of why your wish for testing would be a huge fail.

Man you really can't see the big picture. Everyone who does those things has at the least been exposed to some degree of instruction. Once they take the test (and supposedly pass) they can never say, "Oh I didn't know that. I was just driver for RECREATION!"

We have so many HOBBY operators who are doing unsafe things because they honestly do NOT KNOW BETTER! If you've never been told not to fly over people why wouldn't you? If you've never been told not to fly farther than you can see why wouldn't you?

Will testing solve every problem we have in the industry? No.... there is NO total solution but we can take some steps here and there and industry wide EDUCATION and TESTING will be a good step in the right direction.

Oh i see the picture. Its simple. The same way you think your gonna notify everyone to take a test would be the same way you notify them of the simple rules. When you register your drone is when you acknowledge the rules (pretty much like you do now) and move on. You try to make it that this is a big complicated thing and its comon since education. Testing is not needed unless you want to be in commerce. Good god - drinking straws probably cause more injuries daily than drones. Lets train and test to use a straw.

Oh i see the picture. Its simple. The same way you think your gonna notify everyone to take a test would be the same way you notify them of the simple rules. When you register your drone is when you acknowledge the rules (pretty much like you do now) and move on. You try to make it that this is a big complicated thing and its comon since education. Testing is not needed unless you want to be in commerce. Good god - drinking straws probably cause more injuries daily than drones. Lets train and test to use a straw.

But if one extends that argument, why is testing even needed for commercial work? What makes that inherently more dangerous than recreational flying?

Taken to an illogical (or is it?) conclusion-
kites, chuck gliders, frisbees, helium party balloons, r/c aircraft in general (may be some laws on them already,,,don't know as I'm in UK), get regulated. Then how about birds?
OK<OK< just thinking out loud (noisy keyboard!!).
I am sure birds don't intentionally birdstrike, drone operators too- but you never know, a dastardly act could be committed. If that was so, no amount of legislation will stop such a premeditaive act.
Damned if you do.....

I'm not sure how far it could go but I seriously doubt you'll have to get your Pilot's License to fly as a hobbyist in the US. It very well "could" require you to get some variation of FAA's Part 107 which I think is a GREAT idea to begin with and always have.
I attended a JR radio sponsored RC helicopter fly in. They were three and four feet long with gas engines. They are still flying everywhere with no concern or requirements for regulations. How is this happening when Drone “toys” are subject to these regulations. I am a private pilot and would never flying my piper Cherokee below 400 ft. I don’t understand all these drone requirements. Help me.

I attended a JR radio sponsored RC helicopter fly in. They were three and four feet long with gas engines. They are still flying everywhere with no concern or requirements for regulations. How is this happening when Drone “toys” are subject to these regulations. I am a private pilot and would never flying my piper Cherokee below 400 ft. I don’t understand all these drone requirements. Help me.

Those gas RC helicopter operators may be ignoring or showing no concern for the regulations, but they are subject to exactly the same regulations as recreational UAVs. And does the fact that you don't fly your Cherokee below 400 ft (doesn't that make takeoff and landing difficult?) mean that no one else flies aircraft or helicopters below 400 ft?

Does that help?

It's because drones have cameras, range, and they may fly beyond VLOS into the areas of privacy or trespassing which is a gray area of the law and up for debate, fights, shoot-downs, can't fly here, etc. The RC crowd with planes, helis, boats, cars, etc. tended to stay close by and not wander into "Someone elses space."

An AMA field in northern Los Angeles use to welcome drones, but they got out of control. Drone fliers began to fly out of the field's area across a road to a lake and began chasing boaters and water skiers. That got the lifeguards attention who went to the LA Park's Dept. Super. and the "No drones allowed in our parks" started. The AMA field was also on Park's Dept. land and drones became a bad word with the president of the club who was threatened by the Park's Dept. that "They would shut the field down if they continued with the drone crowd." Some of the oldster's had their drone's grandfathered in, but new ones are not as the new drone owners often were irresponsible in their flight ops and continued to fly out of the field's assigned area and got back to chasing people around the lake.

No matter what you do, some people will hate drones so they may legislate them to their death.

Reactions: BigAl07

What specific UAS regulations or guidelines do you observe them displaying lack of concern of/for?

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jody.paugh@fullerandsons.