Avegant Glyph Goggles. Couple of questions

Reaction score
I have read quite a bit about these Avegant Glyph Googles and despite this I would like a little clarification from those that are using them.

1. Is the lead you need to connect the P4 Pro Plus to the Glyph already in the box?

2. Is head tracking already working if you just plug in the HDMI cable, and press the button on the side of the glyph?

3. How many leads come from the Glyph? One lead from RC to Glyph and I have seen another dangling from the glasses, battery?

4. Anyone know if Glyph is going to bring out an upgraded model? I assume there is only one model currently.

5. Any other "wish I had known that" tips for me?

Thanks!!:)

I would hold up if you are purchasing them for the P4P Plus. I am having HDMi module problems with this latest firmware update. Called DJI and they confirmed that the Glyphs are incompatible with the P4P Plus controller. So, I guess I'm looking to sell my Glyphs.

Reactions: Razorback1
I would hold up if you are purchasing them for the P4P Plus. I am having HDMi module problems with this latest firmware update. Called DJI and they confirmed that the Glyphs are incompatible with the P4P Plus controller. So, I guess I'm looking to sell my Glyphs.
I may have to retract this last statement. I just found out that I don't have the latest FW update on the glyphs. The P4P Plus is finally fully up to date including the forced firmware update. In addition, the Glyphs are now up to date with V. 1.16 which I was able to do through the blue tooth on my Samsung Galaxy S7. So, now if the **** wind would quit raising hell here in Casper, I will go out and try them again. I really did like the experience with them before. Side note: according to Avegant Glyphs website, as of the latest FW update with DJI (April 24, 2017): "DJI has removed head tracking compatibility with the Avegant video headset. Video still works though." So, maybe in the future Avegant can restore this? That is where we stand as of now.

Reactions: Frankc
Thanks for the update Chipper. Even though I am a bit late! What happened to the notifications of replies?

I thought id go for the Samsung BT300 but apparently they are not compatible with the P4P+

Looks like the Avegant Glyph are not compatible with the Pro version either?

Think I will give up on the idea for a while whist they get themselves sorted.

I thought id go for the Samsung BT300 but apparently they are not compatible with the P4P+
The Epson Moverio BT-300 glasses come with their own mobile device. The glasses can only be connected to that mobile device. Since the P4P+ cannot be connected to an external mobile device, it cannot be used with those glasses.

The Avegant Glyph headset can be connected to both the P4P and P4P+ remote controller.

The Epson Moverio BT-300 glasses come with their own mobile device. The glasses can only be connected to that mobile device. Since the P4P+ cannot be connected to an external mobile device, it cannot be used with those glasses.

The Avegant Glyph headset can be connected to both the P4P and P4P+ remote controller.
I thought the Glyphs were expensive ($500 when I bought them), the Moverio BT-300's are like $800.00 US!

Thanks for the update Chipper. Even though I am a bit late! What happened to the notifications of replies?

Think I will give up on the idea for a while whist they get themselves sorted.
Frank, I have flown the P4P Plus now for probably 6 flights since the latest FW update for the Avelon Glyphs. The telemetry is fine now and my settings are not changing within the controller. I now have noticed some different problems arising, but I'm not sure the Glyphs are to blame. Sometimes when I am full throttle (right stick full forward) all of a sudden the AC will nose upward and brake followed by an error message of let go of the sticks. Also, I have an "abnormal" reading on the pre-flight diagnostic that says my forward sensors need calibrated. But, as I mentioned before, I don't think the Glyphs are responsible for this. Tomorrow, weather permitting, I will try the AC without the Glyphs and see if these 'errors' persist.

Thanks Chipper. It was DJI apparently stopped head tracking for the Glyphs. I was wondering if it is possible to downgrade the software to the version where the Glyphs did have head tracking.

As for the message "return sticks to centre" I get that message and I do not have the Glyphs.

So do you think they are worth the money?

Thanks Chipper. It was DJI apparently stopped head tracking for the Glyphs. I was wondering if it is possible to downgrade the software to the version where the Glyphs did have head tracking.

As for the message "return sticks to centre" I get that message and I do not have the Glyphs.

I personally like the Glyphs. You can easily see the drone and the goggles almost simultaneously. I definitely need them for 'precision' flying

To me personally I think they are, of course I believe they are even cheaper now than when I purchased mine. I like the way the goggles allow you to see your drone and the telemetry almost simultaneously. The view through the goggles is good enough to allow me to do some "precision" flying with confidence I won't hit anything close by. If you do decide to buy the Glyphs, I would make sure to check for the most current FW update on them. My Samsung Galaxy S7 isn't really on the compatability list for updating the software on the Glyphs (they recommend not using the PC for updates), but I found out I could still perform the updates with the phone and the Glyphs via Bluetooth; and it worked well! After the FW update on the Glyphs, the P4P Plus controller more or less accepted the Glyphs and quit causing the previous problems. Glyphs are tethered to the controller via the HDMI port (cables are included). I've flown with the Glyphs mostly on the 5.8GHz frequency as that seems to get me more range with less HD loss. If the weather is ok tomorrow I will go out and try the P4P Plus without the Glyphs just to see if these new problems mysteriously go away. :)

How would these compare to the DJI goggles, or is that a completely different animal (just looking into headset options...)

Personally I think its a case of personal preference. I have looked at the DJI Goggles and I do not like a few things about them. One they look like your wearing a mini fridge on your head. Two they exclude the world around you. I have read on more than one occasion of people 'jumping out of their skin' by someone approaching them without their knowledge. Three you cannot keep an eye on the drone while flying.

The Glyphs are not perfect they exclude the sound around you, so I am told, but you can look under and over them whilst flying. As Clipper said too they are coming down in price all the time.

How would these compare to the DJI goggles, or is that a completely different animal (just looking into headset options...)
Yes, it's a completely different animal. Here are the main differences I noticed:
  • The Glyph can only be used as a viewing device. It does not run DJI's software and will not be able to take advantage of any new features added by DJI in the future.
  • The Glyph is smaller, lighter, and easier to transport.
  • The Glyph covers your ears, so it's harder to hear what's going on around you.
  • The image in the Glyph is much smaller than the DJI Goggles.
  • It's possible to look over top or below the Glyph while wearing it. That allows you to see your Phantom or use DJI GO on your mobile device without removing the headset.
  • The corners of the Glyph image are blurry if the headset is not positioned just right on your face.

I've had all three (Glyph, Goggles, Moverio BT300s) and I agree with @msinger comments above.

Note, I said 'had'... Although the image and immersion is amazing with the Goggles, I sold them right after receiving the Moverio's last week. The ability to fly using the Moverio and see the drone above, below, and through the screen, plus the ability to fly without a spotter was my primary reason for selling the Goggles. I've owned the Glyph since they were released, but frankly don't fly with them very often. I can also hand-catch my bird with the Moverio, but I wouldn't with the Glyph. I think the Moverio will be my primary device going forward for both my Mavic and P4P, when not using 3rd party apps (Litchi, etc..).

Trouble is the Movderio will not work with the P4P Plus, the one with the screen. I was hoping to buy a pair but after contacting Samsung it turns out they will not work with the Plus. :( So now looking and hoping either the BT300 updates will allow me to use them eventually or another good pair of similar glasses will come on the market. I shall just have to be patient.

I've had all three (Glyph, Goggles, Moverio BT300s) and I agree with @msinger comments above.

Note, I said 'had'... Although the image and immersion is amazing with the Goggles, I sold them right after receiving the Moverio's last week. The ability to fly using the Moverio and see the drone above, below, and through the screen, plus the ability to fly without a spotter was my primary reason for selling the Goggles. I've owned the Glyph since they were released, but frankly don't fly with them very often. I can also hand-catch my bird with the Moverio, but I wouldn't with the Glyph. I think the Moverio will be my primary device going forward for both my Mavic and P4P, when not using 3rd party apps (Litchi, etc..).
How is the view through the Moverio? It looks on YouTube videos to be kind of a hologram HUD that is very transparent? How does the sun light affect them?

How is the view through the Moverio?
When flying outside during the day, you're going to need the darkest shades installed so you're able to see the screen. Make sure you buy the Moverio BT-300 drone edition (they come with darker Rochester shades).

As for seeing your Phantom while you're flying, you won't be able to see through the transparent screen in the glasses. You'll either need to look around the edges of the screen (if it's not too dark for you to see) or above/below the glasses.

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
wkflysaphan4