Autopilot - tips?

You can either just drag the existing points on the map, even while engaged and Autopilot will adjust the flight path in real-time, or you can tap Use Aircraft Position to create a new Waypoint (or configure C1 or C2 to activate this function). When you do the second option, Autopilot will also display a prompt asking if you want to create a Direction Strategy Focus Trigger based on the current gimbal position. If you answer yes and enable interpolation, it will give you a very similar result to Solo's multipoint cablecam.

Very cool. That's what I was looking for. It is often easier to get the aircraft set up where you want it and they base the waypoint on that data.

Just disable inline-controls in the settings and take the iPad out of the holder. The idea is that you will be using the iPad on a separate stand / tripod for this scenario. It is a great way to interact with Autopilot, and another unique feature that no other app has.

Agreed that is a very nice feature. I was simply having trouble visualize its use. The RC still needs to be connected to the tablet. I use a short cord with the tablet in the bracket. I also tend to move around so I maintain LOS and avoid having a structure block the signal. Not sure if the tripod idea will work in my particular situation, but I will think about my options.

You can take off in P or F and fly manually either way. It is the same as GO. Autopilot won't start sending commands until you engage. .

That's the biggest concept I was missing. Same as GO. You can take off and fly in "P" just like go. Then you switch to "F"... instead of activation the intelligent flight mode in GO, you engage in AP. Seems obvious now, but looking at it initially, this wasn't obvious - probably due to the differences in terminology between the apps.

If you do engage mid-air, just be sure to answer the altimeter calibration questions correctly. If you use the current aircraft altitude as ground level, all altitudes specified in the waypoints will be relative to this altitude. Some people like to take advantage of this feature in order to fly at "negative altitudes" in canyons.

Good to know. Now that I better understand the basics, I can better absorb these concepts from the manual. With all the various options, this is a bigger learning curve than GO. (More features is a good thing).

Thanks for taking the time to explain all this.

Well this explains why my P3A seemed so high when it was following me in my boat. I set the altitude to 26' but it seemed way higher and after reading this I answered the question incorrect. I should have answered take off location and not current location.

Open to ways of wording that question to make it more obvious.
I don't think it needs rewording. Maybe just a misunderstanding on my part. Maybe there could be a blurb in the manual stating the difference between the 2 to clear up further confusion for other folks.

Off topic. When is 3.3 going to be released. Would like to fly some grid waypoint missions

Is there a way to use autopilot with my iPad 4 wifi only to make waypoints while my iphone6 plus is connected to RC? I like to view my flights through my iPad since it has a bigger screen.

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots mobile app

When is 3.3 going to be released. Would like to fly some grid waypoint missions
When it is ready :)
If you want access now you can always just download the beta. All of our beta builds are like release candidates if you are concerned.

Is there a way to use autopilot with my iPad 4 wifi only to make waypoints while my iphone6 plus is connected to RC? I like to view my flights through my iPad since it has a bigger screen.
You can sync flight plans between devices if you create a free account.

You can either just drag the existing points on the map, even while engaged and Autopilot will adjust the flight path in real-time, or you can tap Use Aircraft Position to create a new Waypoint (or configure C1 or C2 to activate this function). When you do the second option, Autopilot will also display a prompt asking if you want to create a Direction Strategy Focus Trigger based on the current gimbal position. If you answer yes and enable interpolation, it will give you a very similar result to Solo's multipoint cablecam.

I'm a little confused on how to configure C1/C2 to create a waypoint (or do anything else).

The manual has no reference to creating a waypoint while in flight. It only addresses direct input on the table screen.

My "Settings" menu does NOT have an "RC Parameters" section as described in the manual. I have all the other sections mentioned but not that one. How can I assign C1/C2 to a function?

My "Settings" menu does NOT have an "RC Parameters" section as described in the manual. I have all the other sections mentioned but not that one. How can I assign C1/C2 to a function?
You have to be running the latest beta (3.3).

You have to be running the latest beta (3.3).

Is the beta necessary to set waypoints based on current aircraft position? Or just to assign the C1/C2 buttons to this function? (I realize I wouldn't see the option for the first unless I was connect and in flight).

Is the beta safe to fly? I only downloaded the release version this week and plan to try it this weekend. The idea of using a beta always worries me.

Small suggestion.. you may want to label items in the manual as "beta version only." It is confusing to be using the latest release version and see missing functions in the app.

Reactions: Tenly
I can't even figure out how to download the beta.

Is the beta necessary to set waypoints based on current aircraft position?
You just tap the Use Aircraft Position button in the Mode Controls when the Aircraft is connected.

Is the beta safe to fly? I only downloaded the release version this week and plan to try it this weekend. The idea of using a beta always worries me.
We treat all of our beta builds like release candidates.

Small suggestion.. you may want to label items in the manual as "beta version only." It is confusing to be using the latest release version and see missing functions in the app.
We used to create a completely separate version of Flight School for beta releases but it ended up taking too much time to maintain two versions and resulted in many dead links on forums when the beta expired. We are trying to strike a balance between using time and resources on developing the app vs maintaining the documentation. You can always clearly see which features are beta on the changelog.

I can't even figure out how to download the beta.
There is a link right at the top of our home page in the blue announcement box. Once you sign up you will get an email invite.

I signed up a while ago. Never got the invite emails.

We used to create a completely separate version of Flight School for beta releases but it ended up taking too much time to maintain two versions and resulted in many dead links on forums when the beta expired. We are trying to strike a balance between using time and resources on developing the app vs maintaining the documentation. You can always clearly see which features are beta on the changelog.

This really doesn't sound all that difficult or time consuming to manage. If you take a full copy of the existing Flight School documentation and store it in a parallel directory - then upon release, you've got 2 full, identical copies of Flight School. As beta features are added for the NEXT version - all of the updates get added to only one of the Flight School directories and the other one remains static and applicable to the released version. When the beta is ready to go public, you delete the older version of Flight School, make the Beta one the *real* one and then make a copy of it to start updating for the next beta...

But whatever - if you've got limited staff, I'd rather see the development time be put into new and better features than documentation.

Feature request

I'm not entirely sure how to document this to get across my problem/idea. I guess it's kind of a scaled down variation of the "arena mode" feature I requested last week. But do any of the third party softwares that are out have any kind of geofencing capabilities? I think what I'm looking for would be best described as a geo-trigger. I'd like to be able to draw a circle on the map and then create a rule that says when you exit the circle, ascend to 30m. When you re-inter the circle, descend to 15m.

The use case I am imagining (in case there is a better way to accomplish my goal), is follow mode on a lake. Most of the time, I would want the drone to follow me at an altitude of about 15m - but as we cut close to an island or the mainland - I'd want to make sure that it ascended to 25 or 30m to be sure of clearing wires and trees etc on land. Without this feature I'm requesting, my only options are to have someone manually controlling the altitude with the remote - or by setting the follow height for the entire mission to the higher value to ensure safety. But in follow mode, it's sometimes unpredictable where the drone will choose to position itself in order to maintain focus - even if I say "always stay to the north of me", it's possible that the drone will be to my south for brief periods as it tries to keep up and maintain focus.

Are there any features in existence or in the works that would help me with the above scenario?

Just purchased Autopilot. Been reading the extensive manual and playing around with the app on my iPad (have not yet connected to P3). I want to get a much better understanding of this software prior to using it for a flight.

The manual is very detailed, but it seems to skip over some of the more obvious items. (IMO).

Is Autopilot meant to be used a replacement for DJI GO? I realize you need to quit one before starting the other - but is Autopilot meant to be used instead of DJI GO for all flight operations? Or is it supposed to be used in lieu of the DJI advanced flight modes only?

With DJI GO, I generally do a pre-flight procedure and then use the "auto take off" button. Then I would fly to a higher altitude near my first waypoint (for waypoint missions) and engage the waypoint mode to run the mission.

Doing the same in Autopilot... should I still use GO to get airborne and near the first point. Then launch Autopilot and switch to that to run a flight path? Or it is designed skip any use of GO and do everything through Autopilot.

Regarding waypoint missions in Autopilot...

I have run several missions in DJI GO. Process is easy enough. I have re-created one of those missions in Autopilot. I used the actual GO mission locations and altitudes as reference. I should have plenty of clearance from any trees or ground obstacles.

However, what happens if I don't like the actual flight path? I see how I can drop out of the mission. I also see how I can resume the mission from where I left off. But what about modifying the waypoints? Can this be easily done "on the fly" - something like "update based on current position" for position, altitude, yaw or gimbal pitch? I am pretty sure I will have to do some fine tuning when I see what the camera actually sees.

Any other tips or tricks for using Autopilot, especially for waypoint missions?

Take a look at Litchi.co ... they have a much more robust "autopilot" that allows mission planning and uploading the "flightplan" waypoints to the drone, which then flies autonomously ... Autopilot controls the entire flight from the RC, and if you lose contact your drone will not (I believe) RTH ... but just hover until its battery is depleted,a nd then land (hopefully) .. It does not RTH when it loses contact w. the RC ...

I think you'll be impressed w. Litchi ... App available for both iOS and Android.

If you think litchi is more robust then autopilot. IMO that is way wrong. Autopilot is 10x better then litchi IMO. Much more laid out,detailed orientated, very responsive to change and responds to question here and on Facebook in no time.

Take a look at Litchi.co ... they have a much more robust "autopilot" that allows mission planning and uploading the "flightplan" waypoints to the drone, which then flies autonomously ... Autopilot controls the entire flight from the RC, and if you lose contact your drone will not (I believe) RTH ... but just hover until its battery is depleted,a nd then land (hopefully) .. It does not RTH when it loses contact w. the RC ...

I think you'll be impressed w. Litchi ... App available for both iOS and Android.
Litchi is a great product for Android users but their current level of iOS support is nearly useless. Autopilots features are far more robust than Litchi's although Litchi has a handful of features not yet present in Autopilot.

If you have an iOS device - I'd encourage you to take a second look at Autopilot because your comments make it clear that you're not familiar with the level of control and granularity that Autopilot can provide.

Reactions: egoldy
This really doesn't sound all that difficult or time consuming to manage. If you take a full copy of the existing Flight School documentation and store it in a parallel directory - then upon release, you've got 2 full, identical copies of Flight School.
That's effectively what we were doing previously, with the added complication of having to update the production flight school with only some of the changes from the beta flight school as not all of the changes were beta specific. Even this in itself wasn't overly complicated, but like everything else in life, many little things start to add up to a lot and something has to get the chopping block.

But do any of the third party softwares that are out have any kind of geofencing capabilities? I think what I'm looking for would be best described as a geo-trigger. I'd like to be able to draw a circle on the map and then create a rule that says when you exit the circle, ascend to 30m. When you re-inter the circle, descend to 15m.
Not really sure if anything out there offers this, but the question is, who is at fault if it doesn't work out as planned due to GPS signal inaccuracy, or Google Map inaccuracies, or other complications?[/QUOTE]

Take a look at Litchi.co ...
We have stated in many places that we have nothing but respect for the various third-party developers that are offering products similar to Autopilot, but given that this thread was originally started as an Autopilot tips thread, we request that the discussion remains about Autopilot. There are plenty of dedicated threads for the other third party apps, and we respectfully refrain from posting in those threads. There are even entire threads dedicated to comparing Autopilot with other options, if that is the type of discussion you are looking for (example 1, example 2).

they have a much more robust "autopilot" that allows mission planning and uploading the "flightplan" waypoints to the drone, which then flies autonomously
If you are basing this statement on LCMC alone, then you are missing the point of what Autopilot offers and why we chose to sacrifice LCMC, at least in the short term.

Not really sure if anything out there offers this, but the question is, who is at fault if it doesn't work out as planned due to GPS signal inaccuracy, or Google Map inaccuracies, or other complications?

I'm not sure if others will share my opinion on this or not - but to me it would be common sense as to where the liability would fall.

If the GPS sensor is defective (hardware fried) then DJI is responsible/liable.

If GPS data is present and AutoPilot fails to execute the programmed action (i.e. Ascend to 30m), then Auto Flight Logic is responsible/liable.

In all other situations, the user would be at fault for agreeing to undertake the risk. Disclaimers and warnings should be included so that users can make an informed choice. Most of us know that Google Maps cannot be relied on 100% - but you would need to remind them. If at that point, a user still chose to engage a mission based on map data - it's their prerogative and they assume all risks of doing so.

The same thing would be true about using a device with flaky GPS and other complications that are beyond your direct control.

I would hate to see you not develop and deliver cool and useful features because you can't do so 100% reliably. Add some disclaimers so that users have to acknowledge there are risks and make them electronically sign their agreement to assume all those risks personally.

There are so many cool and useful features you can deliver to us if you are able to get past the legal liabilities and pass them on to us. Perhaps these types of features could all be grouped into an add-on bundle that costs a little extra and forces us to assume all of the risks before are even allowed to install it...?

You just tap the Use Aircraft Position button in the Mode Controls when the Aircraft is connected.

Yes, but is that functional available in the release version or just the beta? If it's in the release version I will make a point to look for it. I didn't see the button when I was flying this weekend. (But I was concentrating on other things).

I see where you are coming from, but I respectfully disagree. The manual should only describe features that are in the release version. If you want to include information on unreleased features - be it in the beta or an upcoming release - it should be clearly stated. All is takes is a "[beta release]" note in front of the feature. When it makes it into the final release you simply "find & replace" to remove the references to the beat. There are other ways of handling this without having to spend much time - that's just one way.

There is a link right at the top of our home page in the blue announcement box. Once you sign up you will get an email invite.

I will say that the home page button is a bit tricky. I actually wrote to tech support because I had the opposite problem of the person who asked this question. I couldn't figure out how to download the software. The "Download Now" button is actually two buttons that appear to be one. If you click on the "Download Now" section, you are taken to the iTunes preview page which provides a link to download in iTunes.

The other part of the "Download Now" button is an arrow which opens a drop down menu. An item in that menu will open a window where you can sign up to request access to the beta.

I originally clicked on the arrow and couldn't figure out why there was no choice to download. I suspect other click on the other portion of the button (or don't click there at all, thinking it is simply to download the app).

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ozmtl