Autopilot 2.0 out now

I haven't been a part of this community long, but their really are some good people here. Some donate 3D drawings to print parts. Some give years of experience away in videos telling how to edit our washed out videos..while others keep an eye out for those of us dumb enough to use plastic melting loctite on their drones..

Sorry if you can't see what I'm saying here, but I look at this place as a community, not a gold mine.

I think that there is a perception among some that having an app equals getting rich. It's usually the opposite - to the point where most app developers I know call it the "app store lottery" as most apps are lucky if they break even.

Consider that the market base an app like this will get are somewhat like a funnel:

Total number of DJI owners >
DJI owners with iOS >
DJI owners with iOS who know there are third party apps that control their drone >
DJI owners with iOS who know there are third party apps that control their drone that are willing to pay ANYTHING other than free (this is something like a 200:1 ratio based on experience and studies) >
DJI owners with iOS who know there are third party apps that control their drone that are willing to pay ANYTHING other than free that happen to find out that this particular app exists >
DJI owners with iOS who know there are third party apps that control their drone that are willing to pay ANYTHING other than free that happen to find out that this particular app exists and feel it fits their needs

So once you manage to get to that last number, that is the total potential customers for the app if EVERYONE goes through and buys the app. The number would not be that large. And out of that number, the developer has to price the app in a way that makes it sustainable to both have built the app (including all costs like their time, potential other developer time, overhead every company has like office, marketing to reach potential customers, 30% to the app store, taxes on the income, etc) AND optimally to continue to work on the app (which is why you see so many apps out there that never update much past release).

There is no way I would consider an app for a small segment to be a "gold mine". Hopefully they can squeak out a living, otherwise we won't see quality third-party apps, but I don't see anybody getting rich off of this.

As far as the add-ons being paid, I assume it's a similar issue. With a small number of potential customers, adding a new feature like waypoints costs development time, people-cost, overhead, etc, and if you DON'T charge for the add-on and have already saturated your market place, there is no additional revenue, so there is no way to fund that ongoing development. Remember, this isn't a subscription model - once the market has been saturated the revenue coming in dries up quickly.

I for one prefer a model with in-app purchase for major new features to a subscription model, others may feel differently. I believe there are some alternative apps coming out that have a subscription model, so we will likely see soon!

Last edited:
I think that there is a perception among some that having an app equals getting rich. It's usually the opposite - to the point where most app developers I know call it the "app store lottery" as most apps are lucky if they break even.

Consider that the customers an app like this will get are somewhat like a funnel:

Total number of DJI owners >
DJI owners with iOS >
DJI owners with iOS who know there are third party apps that control their drone >
DJI owners with iOS who know there are third party apps that control their drone that are willing to pay ANYTHING other than free (this is something like a 200:1 ratio based on experience and studies) >
DJI owners with iOS who know there are third party apps that control their drone that are willing to pay ANYTHING other than free that happen to find out that this particular app exists >
DJI owners with iOS who know there are third party apps that control their drone that are willing to pay ANYTHING other than free that happen to find out that this particular app exists and feel it fits their needs

So once you manage to get to that last number, that is the total potential customers for the app if EVERYONE goes through and buys the app. The number would not be that large. And out of that number, the developer has to price the app in a way that makes it sustainable to both have built the app (including all costs like their time, potential other developer time, overhead every company has like office, marketing to reach potential customers, 30% to the app store, taxes on the income, etc) AND optimally to continue to work on the app (which is why you see so many apps out there that never update much past release).

There is no way I would consider an app for a small segment to be a "gold mine". Hopefully they can squeak out a living, otherwise we won't see quality third-party apps, but I don't see anybody getting rich off of this.

As far as the add-ons being paid, I assume it's a similar issue. With a small number of potential customers, adding a new feature like waypoints costs development time, people-cost, overhead, etc, and if you DON'T charge for the add-on and have already saturated your market place, there is no additional revenue, so there is no way to fund that ongoing development. Remember, this isn't a subscription model - once the market has been saturated the revenue coming in dries up quickly.

I for one prefer a model with in-app purchase for major new features to a subscription model, others may feel differently. I believe there are some alternative apps coming out that have a subscription model, so we will likely see soon!

I understand all of this and I promise I'm not trying to be a jerk. When my small church went and looked for a preacher, we did not entertain the option of approaching Joel Osteen, Maybe you should not expect such a small community to carry your whole company. Maybe you should. I don't know.

If I'm going to learn to use someone's software, I don't want to bounce around from DJI to Autoflight to Litchi. I'm picking one and learning it and using it. This having been said, I think if you can look past all of the analysis you are doing, you would see that buying 4 and getting 1 free is going to sell all five and not just the one or two one may feel they need. Additionally, it is giving something back to the community for the support. Just my 2 cents without wondering into troll territory.

Thanks.

Just FYI , I ordered the Garmin GLO GPS/glonass receiver. No barometer, I did not care... Just wanted location. Charged the device, acquired the sats almost instantly. Turned off wifi went from front door to mailbox. Device was Acurate to within a foot. I have an ipad2 mini with retina a7 and wanted a cheap solution for current set up. The device I purchased on sale at Cabelas, free shipping only took 3 days. The device was less than $90.00 with current promotions. Cannot go wrong with garnmin. Unit came with usb cable and car charger.
ImageUploadedByPhantomPilots - DJI Phantom Forum1441911313.387352.jpg
ImageUploadedByPhantomPilots - DJI Phantom Forum1441911327.288815.jpg

Check out our new video tutorial series. More videos will be added soon so make sure to subscribe!

Thanks for this video - It's a very good start! Based on the information provided in this video, I can only imagine that the next video you provide will have some screenshots of settings, or better yet it will have some video walkthroughs of setting up say an "Orbit Mission", or a "Zipline Mission", One where we can see your initial preflight settings, as well as the corresponding mission/ flight actually unfold on an iPhone or iPad screen.

I have an iPhone 6 Plus....but based on your video here, you gain quite a bit more real estate by going with an iPad screen. The screen real estate disappears fairly quickly.

Looking forward to more videos, And I want to personally "Thank You" for taking the time to put this initial video together for us P3P & Inspire Pilots to chew on while we try to figure out all of the settings in the AutoPilot App

Thanks for developing the AutoPilot app, I'm sure you will continue to add to the app as DJI gives you developers more access/control in the SDK to add other functionalities to our DJI quadcopters.

Have a great day, keep those rotors spinning and the horizon level.

~ Wojohowitz

As a couple of people asked for more information I took some screenshots today of setting up an orbit with the version from the app store as I wanted to make sure all was good having previously beta tested the app.

You can find it here Autoflight Logic - Quick Orbit Guide | DJI Phantom Forum

As a couple of people asked for more information I took some screenshots today of setting up an orbit with the version from the app store as I wanted to make sure all was good having previously beta tested the app.

You can find it here Autoflight Logic - Quick Orbit Guide | DJI Phantom Forum

PERFECT - Thanks SDHarris - This is a big help, especially since you have had some prior working knowledge as you beta-tested the app during development, I will study the screenshots and steps so that I can start my experience using the AutoPilot app.

Thanks for taking the time to put this step-by-step guide together for those of us here in the P3P community. It's members like you and others sharing your knowledge and experiences that helps all of us do our jobs better.

~ Wojohowitz

this video was just posted a couple hours ago. It shows the USer interface

Reactions: Wojohowitz
How can we know we need this ?
Just FYI , I ordered the Garmin GLO GPS/glonass receiver. No barometer, I did not care... Just wanted location. Charged the device, acquired the sats almost instantly. Turned off wifi went from front door to mailbox. Device was Acurate to within a foot. I have an ipad2 mini with retina a7 and wanted a cheap solution for current set up. The device I purchased on sale at Cabelas, free shipping only took 3 days. The device was less than $90.00 with current promotions. Cannot go wrong with garnmin. Unit came with usb cable and car charger. View attachment 30267View attachment 30268

How do we know we need this ? I am using the same setup, but with an 5S that I have set to share it's location through the ipad mini 2 and it seems to be working. I'm due for a reduced upgrade (the 6S) , so I'm wondering if we REALLY need this.

I have an ipad2 wifi only and my phone is android, they don't like each other. I purchased the GLO GPS receiver to give my controller GPS location for the modes that require it.

Never mind. I just field tested this. AutoFlight's Intercept seemed to work..but was scary enough to call it quits. DJI's Follow me failed totally. AutoFlight was suggesting a barometer would be best. Best I can tell, I was showing a margin of error of 33 feet without it. That is too large for me to be comfortable using it in tight areas

this video was just posted a couple hours ago. It shows the USer interface

Thanks! I saw it and I'm going to check it out. I think it's kind of a summary video. I'm not sure if it has any hands-on or walk through settings for doing any of the modes

~ Wojohowiz

I purchased and tried out the app today with both the iPhone 6 and the iPad mini 3. Both devices run dji go perfectly with hardware decoding turned on. Unfortunately, with autopilot, there is too much lag and image breakup. Are you able to utilize hardware decoding through the sdk to improve video feed?? Otherwise, the poor video feed ruins a nicely designed app

I have an ipad2 wifi only and my phone is android, they don't like each other. I purchased the GLO GPS receiver to give my controller GPS location for the modes that require it.

Have you field tested this yet Prometric ? The pilot app for the Garmin is a subscription based tool and the Dual Electronics XGPS150 requires that their app be opened in the background in order to get follow me to work properly. I don't want another monthly payment. Their GLONASS model is an extra $60.

Speaking of which, I do have to admit, I'd rather pay AutoPilot the in app purchase price up front than a yearly subscription.

Bad elf at $250... Sell the old iPad and get an iPad mini 3 with cellular. Has everything built in.. Works out to about the same price..
The Bad Elf Pro+ 2300 is far more accurate and sensitive (GPS and GLONASS satellites, just like the P3P) than any cellular GPS, and is usable with any phone or tablet app via a BT connection, and has a 50 foot BT range for the RC, such that you can hand the Bad Elf to your subject instead of your RC, and then stay out of sight, or follow along in a car separately.

Then I am locked into a cellular contract for the tablet for 2 years. Also an iPad Air 2 is far superior to the Mini 3. For example A8X vs A7 proc and 2 gig ram vs 1 gig (Which is huge for performance). I'll pass on that.

Lot's of uses for the Bad Elf other then using with tablets.
Exactly!:cool:

Only problem with that is that Wi-Fi only Apple tablets don't have GPS, & tethering them to a cell phone (Android or iPhone, both which have GPS) won't do any good, as the iPad still won't have GPS.
Exactly! Hotspotting can't retrieve GPS data from the tethered source.

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DonT