Autopilot 2.0 out now

Litchi writes flight logs that can show up in the DJI GO app? Not sure how they do that but when we asked DJI directly about it 3 weeks ago, they told us there was no way to do it.

he's incorrect. Litchi writes its own log - it can not communicate with DJI's native log. They've also asked DJI for SDK function to communicate with the native logs

In basic mode you can press Fly to Point A or Fly to Point B, in advanced mode you can set the percentage point between Point A and B with a slider so for example if you are tracking a soccer game and its the kickoff you can slide that thing up to 50% and bingo it'll fly to the middle of the zip line looking at the center of the pitch.You can zip line up and down until your battery runs out ;-)

Screenshots below - the black background denotes this is in the flight dashboard mode. If you used an iPad you would have these options on the left and the map and video feed on the right.

Basic Mode

View attachment 30124

Advanced Mode

View attachment 30125
Thanks for the detailed explanation.

I've tried reading the manual, but as you are aware, it's quite a complex app. Can you clarify whether or not it has the ability to control gimbal pitch to maintain focus on an object?

ie, if I set up follow, or orbit or zip line and my object is 6ft tall, as I ascend in height, can the gimbal automatically pitch down to maintain focus on that object (or operator, if I set myself as the subject?)

Looking at the manual, you can set a POI but how do you set the POI's height? Gimbal pitch angle would be quite different for a POI at 3ft vs POI at 30ft dependent on the aircraft's position and altitude.

Last edited:
If you don't want to pay for the app, or if you think it is priced too high, there is a simple solution: don't buy it. Use another app. Quit whining because someone wants to be compensated for their work. If they didn't charge for the app, the app wouldn't exist.

Alternatively you can learn to code your own app, spend the time and resources to make it as functional, and release it for free if that suits you.

This thread is bonkers. Nobody is forcing you to buy the app. Why not complain to DJI that they didn't include that functionality? That's not Autoflight's fault. Buy it for what they want or don't. But stop whining about the fact that they need to make a living too.

Also what stopping people from downloading this app on a Jailbroken device for free? Not saying people should do this but oh well...

Seriously? "Also what's stopping people from stealing a Phantom from someone else for free? Not saying people should do this but oh well..." Would you say that to someone who questions the price of a drone? It's still stealing, and from a small developer and part of this community.

Last edited:
In the end, each additional mode takes considerable time and resources to develop, and we don't have the ability to offer these features as part of the cost of the hardware as we only sell software (see this discussion for more). Not everyone wants all the Modes, so offering Autopilot at a lower base price gives people the option to only pay for what they want, as opposed to paying for things they will never use - which seems to be the opposite of mugging.

In app purchases are just my personal dislike.
Maybe as I gain more experience - I may decide differently - but so far, my need to replace or supplement whatever DJI Go supplies, as not surfaced.

As I said... I have not criticised the software for its quality and functionality and I accept you have put a lot of skill, time and effort in to the project - so I really do hope you get worldwide sales and reap your reward.

Thanks for the detailed explanation.

I've tried reading the manual, but as you are aware, it's quite a complex app. Can you clarify whether or not it has the ability to control gimbal pitch to maintain focus on an object?

ie, if I set up follow, or orbit or zip line and my object is 6ft tall, as I ascend in height, can the gimbal automatically pitch down to maintain focus on that object (or operator, if I set myself as the subject?)

Looking at the manual, you can set a POI but how do you set the POI's height? Gimbal pitch angle would be quite different for a POI at 3ft vs POI at 30ft dependent on the aircraft's position and altitude.

If focusing on you holding the RC and iOS device it will keep you in frame to compensate for you moving including changing altitude. Its partly why they recommend devices with a barometer for greater accuracy.

In terms of POI height that can be set, and again if during the orbit you use the sticks on the RC or the sliders in the app to increase or decrease altitude the app will keep the POI framed by adjusting the gimbal.

If you don't want to pay for the app, or if you think it is priced too high, there is a simple solution: don't buy it. Use another app. Quit whining because someone wants to be compensated for their work. If they didn't charge for the app, the app wouldn't exist.

Alternatively you can learn to code your own app, spend the time and resources to make it as functional, and release it for free if that suits you.

This thread is bonkers. Nobody is forcing you to buy the app. Why not complain to DJI that they didn't include that functionality? That's not Autoflight's fault. Buy it for what they want or don't. But stop whining about the fact that they need to make a living too.

Seriously? "Also what's stopping people from stealing a Phantom from someone else for free? Not saying people should do this but oh well..." Would you say that to someone who questions the price of a drone? It's still stealing, and from a small developer and part of this community.

Waw, man ...

I'm sorry, i'm completly mistaken here ....

For a moment i thought it was a forum and i thought the original post was about discussing somehow about the fact there is this app available in the store ...

For a moment i thought it was not like someone bought 30 seconds of our brain like on the tv and could just feed us with "buy my ****, you'll like it".

And for a moment i thought that when autoflightlogic come and say that he tries to listen to the community needs or feedback, i was "somehow" part of this community and i could somehow express what i think of the pricing.

Well, i apologize dude, looks like i'm on tv and if i don't want to buy i should just unplug my brain and let the advertising go on :)

PS : this way for the last one : Autopilot 2.0 Available in the App Store | DJI Phantom Forum

Reactions: Quadcopter102
If focusing on you holding the RC and iOS device it will keep you in frame to compensate for you moving including changing altitude. Its partly why they recommend devices with a barometer for greater accuracy.

In terms of POI height that can be set, and again if during the orbit you use the sticks on the RC or the sliders in the app to increase or decrease altitude the app will keep the POI framed by adjusting the gimbal.

what is the difference between "joystick" mode vs "passive" mode for camera control?

and is it possible to have 2 POI like with Litchi? Ie, point A focus on 1 POI and Point B Focused on 2nd POI?

thanks

Waw, man ...

I'm sorry, i'm completly mistaken here ....

For a moment i thought it was a forum and i thought the original post was about discussing somehow about the fact there is this app available in the store ...

For a moment i thought it was not like someone bought 30 seconds of our brain like on the tv and could just feed us with "buy my ****, you'll like it".

And for a moment i thought that when autoflightlogic come and say that he tries to listen to the community needs or feedback, i was "somehow" part of this community and i could somehow express what i think of the pricing.

Well, i apologize dude, looks like i'm on tv and if i don't want to buy i should just unplug my brain and let the advertising go on :)

PS : this way for the last one : Autopilot 2.0 Available in the App Store | DJI Phantom Forum

Feels like you are taking it a bit personally - I don't recall specifically directing anything towards you?

As for my post, there's a big difference between offering input and people saying you can always just pirate the software instead.

Reactions: acherman
i have read a lot of negative comments on this thread about pricing, largely falling into 2 categories: 1) the amount charged for the basic app, and, 2) the in-app costs for the extra features.

I think we are all extremely fortunate that there is a group of dedicated entrepreneurs who no doubt have worked hard and invested serious money to produce the first general release of this software. Whether one buys it or not is a matter of personal choice but it does make sense to encourage and support the development of 3rd party products that could develop into something that would have wide appeal in our community.

For the record I have bought it for this reason to further my photographic aims. I have not used it yet but will come to a judgement later as to whether I eventually take to it and go further by buying the in-app extras. You may have noticed that the extras can be tried out 5 times before they need to be purchased

The sums of money we are talking about are paltry by comparison with the basic kit and I certainly have no problem with the pricing. Lastly, we pay double in the UK what one has to pay in the States like most computer software and hardware :)

Given the nature of my post, I want to state that I have no connection whatsoever with Auto Flight Logic.

Last edited:
i have read a lot of negative comments on this thread about pricing, largely falling into 2 categories: 1) the amount charged for the basic app, and, 2) the in-app costs for the extra features.

I think we are all extremely fortunate that there is a group of dedicated entrepreneurs who no doubt have worked hard and invested serious money to produce the first general release of this software. Whether one buys it or not is a matter of personal choice but it does make sense to encourage and support the development of 3rd party products that could develop into something that would have wide appeal in our community.

This. 100%. If there are things you want the Phantom to do that the DJI Go app doesn't support (and will likely never support due to liability worries by a major company - like waypoints), the only path to this is through third-party apps. And third-party apps of any quality are unlikely to happen if nobody wants to actually pay the developers for their work.

And for the record, I am in no way connect to Autoflight either. I am an app developer (not for Phantom) though and understand the realities of both the cost of app development and pricing.

Being a user of litchi, Autopilot and the latest DJI firmware, I have to say that each product has its pros and cons. I personally feel that APL provides a much more sophisticated approach to automated flight and photography and am very impressed with the detailed and carefully thought out user manual. One thing for certain, it will take some time to actually understand and use the full functionality of APL but then that is part of the fun for me. One question that I would ask is around GPS data. I use an iPad Air (WiFi) which doesn't have built in GPS. What are the repercussions of this in terms of flying the Phantom, compared to, say, an iPad Air 2? I am thinking about adding a GPS receiver and am looking at Bad Elf or SkyPro. Does anyone have any thoughts on which system would work best; they are both similarly priced. Btw, I would add that I use both Android and Apple devices.

Last edited:
Reactions: Skylark
I purchased this app sometime ago to use with my P2V+ and was pleasantly surprised that the upgrades I purchased did indeed carry over to this new release...Thanks Autopilot for that...as far as practical use of the application, the zip line function worked great today as I was asked to film along the lake shore keeping the camera of my P3P on the moving bicycle riders. The zip line function made this effortless as I plotted two points for the P3P to follow and I let it go and focused on framing of the shot. One feature I sure wish we had is image recognition which would allow me to pick a subject in a shot and the camera would automatically focus on that specific subject while it flew the zip line route or any other autonomous function..but as far as functionality goes Autopilot paid for itself in a single shoot today.....Thanks Autopilot team for the hard work....

(editted out)
Lastly, we pay double in the UK what one has to pay in the States like most computer software and hardware :)
Given the nature of my post, I want to state that I have no connection whatsoever with Auto Flight Logic.

IF the above comment about paying double is relevant to teh cost of the app in question....
Just a note on "paying double in UK" I looked yesterday and the app was £14.99. Current XE converted =US$20

Of the £14.99 it will include 20% UK VAT ( Value Added Tax) and Apple ( unless its different from what they take from my sales of iBooks ) is 30% - so in effect the guys selling the app get 50% of the sale price..... this also applies to each $4.99 in app purchase.
The seller sets the price and must calculate what will be taken in individual countries
tax + plus Apples 30% fees - what is left goes to the seller.
( for those seeing my posts on in app purchases...its not price that really concerns me the concept of repeat charges!)

IF the above comment about paying double is relevant to teh cost of the app in question....
Just a note on "paying double in UK" I looked yesterday and the app was £14.99. Current XE converted =US$20

Of the £14.99 it will include 20% UK VAT ( Value Added Tax) and Apple ( unless its different from what they take from my sales of iBooks ) is 30% - so in effect the guys selling the app get 50% of the sale price..... this also applies to each $4.99 in app purchase.
The seller sets the price and must calculate what will be taken in individual countries
tax + plus Apples 30% fees - what is left goes to the seller.
( for those seeing my posts on in app purchases...its not price that really concerns me the concept of repeat charges!)
My comment, irrespective of the markup applicable to certain countries was that these are all relatively small sums of money compared with buying the Phantom in the first place and secondly £14.99 at the current exchange rate is $23.02. As for the rest charges, you are left with an evaluation of 5 trial flights at no extra cost until you decide to purchase.

Notwithstanding the above, these costs are relatively insignificant compared with the capital outlay for the equipment.

ZipLine and Orbit.

Any way to possibly share the settings to achieve this type of flight?

I posed the question a few pages back if anybody had any hands on videos of an actual walk through setting up the app to do an orbit or zip line - I am one who has purchased the app and I want to learn how to use it properly.

FWIW - It looks like people just want to ***** & moan about the cost of the app, while there are those of us that purchased it and want to learn all the ins & outs to be able to use it properly.

Maybe @autoflightlogic can chime in here with some pointers?

Thanks in advance,

~ Wojo

Sorry but this thread is turning into nothing but a bunch of [expletive deleted]. We have guys out there like Steve Bailey who bust their butts and come up with the capital and time to develop applications to improve the capabilities of our P3's and all people do is complain about the price. How about this? If you can't afford the capabilities and technology, don't get the Autopilot App. We are very fortunate to have people designing and implementing software to give us freedom to choose which platform we want to shoot with based on our certain application. How dare anyone [expletive deleted] on a company who is helping our P3 community? I have said it before and I'll say it again... If you can't afford upwards of $50 (exaggerated) for a P3 app, then you shouldn't have spent money on a UAV in the first place. Go tool around with gas RC cars and pretend they are full scale. Give me a break guys, really. $50 is chump change for improving certain crucial tasks. A lot of work goes into developing these 3rd party apps including getting Apple Authorization, etc. [deleted]

Last edited by a moderator:
The way i see it Litchi cost me $20AUD, Autopilot with all options $53AUD possibly add another $6.99 when GS comes out so that's $60 compared to $20. Definitely need some competition in the iOS space for 3rd party devs, only way you are going to see the price come down. To be honest i think it's price gouging on the iOS side and maybe the DJI GO app has a part to play in that as they maybe trying to recover costs due to a potential lower purchase volume, but Autopilot has advantages over DJI GO and it's modes. However in saying that Litchi is in the same boat on the Android side.

I would have been happy to pay $53AUD for Autopilot with GS included with no limitations like Litchi. This would have been at least an additional feature to what DJI has provided. If it costs $20 for Litchi for more modes, Why is Autopilot costing 2.5 times for less functionality. If you start using the comments well development takes time and resource, yes you are correct but the Litchi dev put the same time and effort in for a substantially lower price point.

I brought Autopilot btw and will use it, we need to support 3rd parties but at the same time the price needs to be reasonable on both sides. If the Litchi dev gets his product to iOS for the same price as the Android version, then i'll switch to that in a heartbeat. You develop a good customer base by treating your customers right and charging reasonably for your time and effort, if Autopilot was $20 for all options plus GS then you would make a huge amount of sales, it would almost be a requirement to have for any new Phantom/Inspire owner. Once you start looking like your gouging your customers you start to lose the loyalty.

Sorry but this thread is turning into nothing but a bunch of ********. We have guys out there like Steve Bailey who bust their butts and come up with the capital and time to develop applications to improve the capabilities of our P3's and all people do is complain about the price. How about this? If you can't afford the capabilities and technology, don't get the Autopilot App. We are very fortunate to have people designing and implementing software to give us freedom to choose which platform we want to shoot with based on our certain application. How dare anyone **** on a company who is helping our P3 community? I have said it before and I'll say it again... If you can't afford upwards of $50 (exaggerated) for a P3 app, then you shouldn't have spent money on a UAV in the first place. Give me a break guys, really. $50 is chump change for improving certain crucial tasks. A lot of work goes into developing these 3rd party apps including getting Apple Authorization, etc. cut the crap!!!

Better ways to get your point across i think without the attitude and language regardless of your frustration. I think people have a right to ask questions, devs are not doing it for free and are being compensated quite well. Again Litchi is $20 and Autopilot is $53, why the disparity? Both have put a good amount of time into enhancing there apps. Remember that they only added features to existing programs, they haven't rewritten it from the ground up, right?

Reactions: EyeInStein
You develop a good customer base by treating your customers right and charging reasonably for your time and effort, if Autopilot was $20 for all options plus GS then you would make a huge amount of sales, it would almost be a requirement to have for any new Phantom/Inspire owner. Once you start looking like your gouging your customers you start to lose the loyalty.

With the small (relative to the world at large) number of potential customers for the app it's difficult to say whether a "huge amount" of sales at $20 would make more than their current model. And once you price down its nearly impossible to ever price up again.

As for Litchi vs Autoflight cost difference, everyone prices differently and the market decides. Photoshop costs more than other editors. Office costs more that OpenOffice. Things that do similar things cost differently all the time. The market decides from there.

BTW I'd welcome competing apps in their space. Competition is good for everyone.

Reactions: EyeInStein
My comment, irrespective of the markup applicable to certain countries was that these are all relatively small sums of money compared with buying the Phantom in the first place and secondly £14.99 at the current exchange rate is $23.02. As for the rest charges, you are left with an evaluation of 5 trial flights at no extra cost until you decide to purchase.

Notwithstanding the above, these costs are relatively insignificant compared with the capital outlay for the equipment.

I do agree the app costs are relevant to the outlay on a Phantom/Inspire etc,. so...
Nit picking.. exchange rates change by the hour and often differ by source - however, still not double the price in UK .... or are moving off the app and referring to "software and hardware" in general and basically not relevant.

Software - hardware product prices DO vary according to source supply, import tax and duties cost of transport etc,.- Apple is a perfect example.

App prices are set by the seller and change only according to App store country and that countries sales taxes.

My "breakdown of the apps end cost was for those who think ALL the sales income goes to the app seller - and to avoid any confusion other may have and think the app cost double in UK.

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DonT