Autopilot 2.0 out now

I have the S6 and Note 4 Android phones. Both of which have awesome GPS with Barometers and there is an awesome app that sends this data over bluetooth. But, in my recent investigations, I have discovered that Apple prevents Android phones from connecting with iOS devices via bluetooth. They are concerned about Malware...

Even so, that doesn't prevent you from connecting your iPad to your Android phone via Wi-Fi. Turn your phone's Wi-Fi Hotspot on, and connect your iPad as if your Android phone it's just another router.

Even so, that doesn't prevent you from connecting your iPad to your Android phone via Wi-Fi. Turn your phone's Wi-Fi Hotspot on, and connect your iPad as if your Android phone it's just another router.
That's part of the plan in order to get maps from the internet. GPS from the Android phone, as far as I know, can not be transferred to the iPad via WiFi. If it could that would greatly simplify things. Only thing I have found was GPS data over Bluetooth. Apple has put a stop to that.

Before anyone suggest jailbreaking my iPad I am a mobile app developer so that is out of the question since I need my devices legit.

Basically looking at this;

Android Phone WiFi "HotSpot" -> iPad Air 2 <- Bluetooth -Bad Elf 2300 Bluetooth GPS+GLONASS Receiver and Data Logger with Barometric Altimeter

Last edited:
Reactions: snerd
Then how come the litchi app and every other app available has this feature????
Another reason why i won't spend a dime on your app just yet....
Litchi writes flight logs that can show up in the DJI GO app? Not sure how they do that but when we asked DJI directly about it 3 weeks ago, they told us there was no way to do it.

In app purchases are - to me - just a way to legally mug somebody.
In the end, each additional mode takes considerable time and resources to develop, and we don't have the ability to offer these features as part of the cost of the hardware as we only sell software (see this discussion for more). Not everyone wants all the Modes, so offering Autopilot at a lower base price gives people the option to only pay for what they want, as opposed to paying for things they will never use - which seems to be the opposite of mugging.

Litchi writes flight logs that can show up in the DJI GO app? Not sure how they do that but when we asked DJI directly about it 3 weeks ago, they told us there was no way to do it.

No i think its their own log written from scratch...Take look at the Taco RC app on IOS for an idea... TBH i want to give your app a fair chance but it lacks a few of the many basics things... If your ever gets the waypoints i will give it a try and write a fair review.

Autopilot also writes custom flight logs which are included in the base price.

Another user has just brought it to our attention that his flights with Autopilot are in fact showing up in the GO app (without Autopilot having to do anything). Can anyone else confirm?

We have heard the community loud and clear and Waypoint Mode is prioritized at the top of the list. I would encourage you guys to be fair and not take out your frustration at DJI on us. Just because DJI has been promising it for so long doesn't mean we have been ignoring it for that long too. It was a tough decision on what to include in version 2.0, and in the end we decided that it was more important to get the app released (with support for the P3 and Inspire 1), than wait for Waypoint Mode to be finished, as there are a ton of other really useful features that people love.

Ok, here is a thought. iPad Air 2 WiFi only apparently does have a Barometer. Just installed a Barometer app and it is getting an accurate reading. Therefore I only need the SkyPro XGPS160 GPS Receiver, Correct?

Ok, here is a thought. iPad Air 2 WiFi only apparently does have a Barometer. Just installed a Barometer app and it is getting an accurate reading. Therefore I only need the SkyPro XGPS160 GPS Receiver, Correct?
Yes, but you will need to be connected the internet still to load maps.

Have two android phones with Hotspot's for that. Looks like it's time to hit up Amazon.

Will purchase Autopilot shortly.

DroneLogbook can now import our telemetry files:
DroneLogbook

Check it out, it is free and really cool!

Thats useful to know will try it now and lets hope DJI allow integration with their flight logs via an API in the near future so that the circle is complete.

Also glad Apple just announced the new iPad Mini with barometer, perfect combination.

Last edited:
Reactions: huntjock
Only problem with that is that Wi-Fi only Apple tablets don't have GPS, & tethering them to a cell phone (Android or iPhone, both which have GPS) won't do any good, as the iPad still won't have GPS.

An iPad without a GPS receiver using an iPhone's hotspot WILL provide GPS data to applications on the iPad that request it such as Google Maps.

Last edited:
I downloaded the Autopilot 2.0 App from the iTunes App Store - Great looking app BTW from what I have been able to look at so far.

My question is this? I have been reading through the Flight School portion of the app.
Is there a video or written walkthrough from start to finish on setting up Orbit or Follow for the Phantom 3 Pro using an iPhone 6 Plus?
I want to try this out later today if possible. I've seen a few videos of pilots using your app, but is there any screenshots or screencasts of someone starting from scratch - opening the app ===>> to actually completing one of the programed features like Orbit, Follow etc. I'm a little confused on implementing it into my workflow.

I am looking forward to learning how to implement the use of this app in my daily workflow on my P3P - so any/all help is greatly appreciated : D

I'm a newbie on posts, but I have a pretty good working knowledge of the flight controls etc for the P3P when using the DJI Go App

~ Wojo

P3P all firmware updates in place
Using DJI Go App V2.2.0
AutoPilot V2.0

DroneLogbook can now import our telemetry files:
DroneLogbook

Check it out, it is free and really cool!

Yea ok but why would I want to upload all my data and everything to another site?. Seems pretty useless to me. I would rather just download them and do my own analysis. Too much statistics that can be garnered from sites like this. Especially if some official want to check on the data. Just don't see the use of sharing my data with some site.

Alan

Not everyone wants all the Modes, so offering Autopilot at a lower base price gives people the option to only pay for what they want, as opposed to paying for things they will never use - which seems to be the opposite of mugging.

I'm sorry, but you're doing the exact opposite than what you say.
I would perfectly agree on that basis if the app would be free (or very low price) and you buy what you want to plug in it, say i want the POI feature i get it for 2.99 + 5.99 = 10 bucks.
If later on i want to have another feature, then yeah ok i add 5.99 for another one.

But you're playing another game here, you ask 20€ for something that i am obviously not interrested in (and to be honest that isn't worth 20€ imo). So at the end you ask me to pay for something i don't want, and your price for it is already way out of the lines in my opinion.

I perfectly understand your logic, devellopment takes time and ressources, that's true and i can't wish more than you getting the money to make a wonderfull / quality app everyone will accept to pay for, but if you really want to go the "pay for what you use way", do it for real, not just in answers.

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ozmtl