Aussie flyers beware - it's magpie season

Meta4

Premium Pilot
Reaction score
Australian magpies are known for dive bombing people walking through their territories in their nesting season in late winter/early spring.
I had an encounter with a magpie today that was determined to drive my Phantom out of its territory.
I was flying about 100 metres offshore and heard the magpie making a lot of noise.
It flew out to meet my bird and got very close, obviously trying to attack or drive it away.
I had a camera with tele lens and considered putting the controller down to get a photo but the magpie was looking very determined and I did not want to have my bird come down into the sea.
The magpie came within half a metre as I put in some slippery moves and evasive action and wished I could still dive at 6m/sec.
It chased my Phantom about halfway back and I caught it and put it on the ground for 15 mins.
Soon after I flew again it was out attacking one more time.
When I picked up my quadcopter to take it back to the car the magpie went mental and was noisily diving at me right up till I put my bird in the car and the magpie lost interest.

Something about the Phantom (maybe the noise?) really annoyed the magpie.
Since they often strike people and it came very close it is quite possible one would strike a Phantom and possibly bring it down.
Aussie fliers should keep an ear open for any magpies making more noise than usual and be prepared to bring their Phantom in to safety for the next month or two.

My parents live right by the sea and have a similar problem with being "dive bombed" by seagulls in chick-rearing season. Seagulls are big birds and can be extremely aggressive. It can be pretty scary.

Meta4 said:
Australian magpies are known for dive bombing people walking through their territories in their nesting season in late winter/early spring.
Had to think twice on that one. Late winter? Yes, you are "down under." I could say I was enjoying summer here but it really never showed up this year. All the crops are late because of the cold summer.
Are you in a location where you get that white crap called snow?
I have had crows come close to my quad, but none made an attack on it.

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ozmtl