August 7 Month long DJI firmware failure.

Haven't updated, and don't plan to, unless there's some new feature that I cannot do without. I also have my old P2 which doesn't connect with an App to fly, if I need to or decide to update.

To my understanding the P4 and P4P/Adv are different birds. I have a P4Adv and did not had problems with the upgrade, remember , P4P and Adv have a different camera than the P4, so I assume the FW file is different.

Surely you are right and the engineers of DJI are on red alert and work 100% to solve the disaster that has done, but does not serve as an apology. The problem is why do they get a firmware with such serious failures? Have they tested it? Surely not enough and there is the problem, you can not get a new firmware with more errors than hits, however much they are committed to put a new geolocation system, if it is not ready the errors are going to be more than the benefits. Bad, very bad DJI. Sorry for my English.

I upgraded my P4 and have no problems except the IMU calibration error while warming up
thats all

Reactions: Nestmac
I upgraded when the new firmware first came out. I have not been able to fly my drone since without it hitting the brakes wobbling sputtering. I have called dji six times and drone nerds three. They say they have no idea what's going on. It flew perfectly before the new firmware. The last thing I was told is to be patient because DJI is working on a solution to fix the bugs. One month later, drone still grounded. Epic fail...

Yup, I agree... not sure why one needs over 400 feet. The most I would ever need is about 250. The scenes are still great to see.
I live in the Rocky Mountains and in fifty horizontal meters I can go from 50 meters AGL to 120 meters+... It may not be your concern but it is a concern for other users... And yes the scenes are incredible. ;)

There are times when one may want to go over 400 feet. On instance is flying up a mountains side - you may never be more that 250 feet off the ground but the aircraft might rise to 3000ft as far as it is concerned.

If Ford made cars in which only 80% were usable, would that be acceptable?
Chevrolet has been getting away with it for years, so why not? (Sorry, i had to)

Reactions: Nestmac
Just wondering, no sarcasm intended, how can this update be a failure when it is working as advertised for a majority of owners?
That's easy: It's failing for a large number, even if it's a minority. That's a disaster in tech.

This happens because of insufficient Quality Assurance testing. This problem is almost certainly due to hardware revision variations in the installed base, on various boards, components, etc. in the aircraft. At a bare minimum, a modern, professional QA dept would have a complete matrix of hardware revisions, and actual test units covering that matrix that a written test plan is executed against, and results documented so that failures can be investigated and fixed.

There's enough failing units in the field that this should be easy to duplicate, and would have shown up in QA testing IF they had followed the sorts of procedures I'm talking about above. I'd bet real money that they were behind, under pressure from the Chinese govt, so someone higher up made the decision to cut testing short (because it was working on shipping units), ship it, and hope for the best.

They gambled and lost. So now, with the release out there, the govt pressure is off (they don't care if a bunch of older drones are grounded -- that's good!), and they're exhaustively testing the fixes. I can easily see that taking a month or two with all the models and revision variations.

That's easy: It's failing for a large number, even if it's a minority. That's a disaster in tech.

This happens because of insufficient Quality Assurance testing. This problem is almost certainly due to hardware revision variations in the installed base, on various boards, components, etc. in the aircraft. At a bare minimum, a modern, professional QA dept would have a complete matrix of hardware revisions, and actual test units covering that matrix that a written test plan is executed against, and results documented so that failures can be investigated and fixed.

There's enough failing units in the field that this should be easy to duplicate, and would have shown up in QA testing IF they had followed the sorts of procedures I'm talking about above. I'd bet real money that they were behind, under pressure from the Chinese govt, so someone higher up made the decision to cut testing short (because it was working on shipping units), ship it, and hope for the best.

They gambled and lost. So now, with the release out there, the govt pressure is off (they don't care if a bunch of older drones are grounded -- that's good!), and they're exhaustively testing the fixes. I can easily see that taking a month or two with all the models and revision variations.
My point was, the failure ratio is quite low. Apple, microsoft, android etc.. have had many of the same failure rates in the past (personal experience) for some yet the majority have positive results. Difference being the forementioned companies have been through their growing pains and learned from their past mistakes (somewhat) DJI has yet to achieve that.

8 Weeks today, Nothing from DJI except fraud and deception!
Like to see a Recall/Buyback so I could be done with DJI!!

2 months of nothing from DJi, Then I get an email that says...."INTRODUCING THE DJI MAVIC PRO PLATINUM AND PHANTOM 4 PRO OSIDIAN" Oh good, I'm so glad they have had the last two months to introduce more aircraft. Why anyone would consider buying a DJI product is beyond me. THANKS DJI FOR NOTHING!!!!!!!! I would love to see a class action lawsuit for the ongoing firmware Fustercluck!

c016f4be6961a89315985d8c4e595cce.jpg
912a9c5142babbf20ae4093439609140.jpg

These two cracks appeared after a test flight with the new failware.
Pretty sure it was caused by the unstable/jerky motions my P4 was making.

Couldn’t wait any longer so I now have the P4P and it’s great.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Johnboy94