ATTI Flight

RTH works in ATTI as long as you have GPS lock.

RTH works in ATTI as long as you have GPS lock.

Having only 18 short flights under my belt and never done ATTI mode yet. How do you lose GPS lock? I was assuming when you switched to ATTI mode you lose GPS lock or switches it out of GPS mode.

Tried that but have no better luck. I ofted catch it if the wind is down.

Build some kind of rubber box-thingy.. Then calibrate it there. Maybe you can block the interference? Just a thought, kinda out there, I know.

Having only 18 short flights under my belt and never done ATTI mode yet. How do you lose GPS lock? I was assuming when you switched to ATTI mode you lose GPS lock or switches it out of GPS mode.

The bird doesn't use GPS for control in that situation, but IIRC it still keeps a lock on whatever satellites it had when you switch.

I can fly with ATTI (manual) when I can get the thing to stop giving me the compass error message. Wind is a problem this time of year and snow of course. I'm here off 3 and on 3 since June for the next 4 years. GPS flying is not an option with the high metal % in the rock. Tons of iron, zinc and lead.

I'm no expert but as I understand it GPS won't be a problem (metals in the earth shouldn't affect that) you may not be able to pick up as many/any geosynchronous satellites but I'd try flying in GPS mode and if it doesn't get lock it'll drop back to ATTI.

My understanding is it ALWAYS uses the compass, in every mode. Otherwise you'd need to manually resist spin using stick inputs similarly to how you need to manually resist drift caused by wind in atti mode.

The compass will be a problem both because you're close to the pole and because of the metal content. This is why it doesn't like launching in any mode, because it thinks it isn't safe to do so.

Honestly not sure you can do anything about it apart from moving hundreds of miles away from the pole, which I guess kind of defeats the point! Hope you get some footage, must be a challenging but amazing place to be.

Interesting... I just don't think you should be having GPS problems there, but totally believe you would see some compass issues.

I did a lot of flying this past summer in the Arctic at 67 N and had no issues. GPS is truly global and with the ability of the P3's to also use GLONASS satellites this really helps in the Arctic with satellite reception. I've worked at your latitude (though not flown P3's there) with survey equipment and did not have issues with satellite reception so I don't think you should be having issues tracking satellites unless something is wrong with the unit. But I totally believe you could have compass problems because of your vicinity to magnetic north.

Looking at your location you are really really close to magnetic north. Probably very confusing to the P3 since earth's magnetic field gets less consistent and more divergent as you approach the magnetic pole. Where I was flying in the Bering Sea off NW Alaska the latitude is fairly high but it is further away from magnetic north and probably allowed for a stronger and more consistent pull on the P3 compass.

Not much can be done about this since I'm not sure what government or international agency is currently responsible for the geo-location of magnetic north. Magnetic compasses are cheap so it is understandable why DJI would use them. Gyros work well at high latitudes but would be cost-prohibitive.

declination2.jpg

Try turning the Phantom 10 degrees at a time. Watch your MOD value and see if it gets closer or further away from 1400. If it's getting further away, turn it the other way. That might be enough to get rid of the compass error.

Alternatively and slightly risky, you can introduce pieces of metal around the Phantom to raise/lower the mod value to get it within range.

No matter what, only fly in ATTI! The compass error will probably return as soon as you get in the air but at least you'll be able to fly. If you see really bad horizontal stability on the gimbal, there's a risk the bird may not fly perfectly level or may begin to lean in one direction. Keep an eye out for this.

Interesting... I just don't think you should be having GPS problems there, but totally believe you would see some compass issues.

I did a lot of flying this past summer in the Arctic at 67 N and had no issues. GPS is truly global and with the ability of the P3's to also use GLONASS satellites this really helps in the Arctic with satellite reception. I've worked at your latitude (though not flown P3's there) with survey equipment and did not have issues with satellite reception so I don't think you should be having issues tracking satellites unless something is wrong with the unit. But I totally believe you could have compass problems because of your vicinity to magnetic north.

Looking at your location you are really really close to magnetic north. Probably very confusing to the P3 since earth's magnetic field gets less consistent and more divergent as you approach the magnetic pole. Where I was flying in the Bering Sea off NW Alaska the latitude is fairly high but it is further away from magnetic north and probably allowed for a stronger and more consistent pull on the P3 compass.

Not much can be done about this since I'm not sure what government or international agency is currently responsible for the geo-location of magnetic north. Magnetic compasses are cheap so it is understandable why DJI would use them. Gyros work well at high latitudes but would be cost-prohibitive.

View attachment 32314
I am having no problem picking up satelites. I get 18 to 20 at any given time. When I try to use GPS mode I get compass error messages and am prompted to switch to ATTI. Even when I am in ATTI mode the safe to fly GPS flashes green off and on. When I try to power up in any mode, I get that compass error message and am prompted to calibrate. It's annoying but also off putting. Once I get it up after 15min. of calibrating and arming, it works fine for the battery I have left. It's going to be a moot point as we are having a week of bad weather with snow and wind every day. I thought I would get better video than I got this season but am determined to get things sorted out for next season. Thanks for the great input everyone.

So, I'm in the Arctic and know the compass is not trust worthy and can't fly GPS. I have the setting on ATTI but I get a small screen saying compass error...calibrate compass. I've calibrated the compass but still get the error and it won't let me power up the machine. Any thoughts why?
Could be the temperature? I can't imagine it would like it super cold. Not many electronic devices like it that cold.

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mactechnic