At what distance do you nerves give out?

I'm no longer concerned about distance from home as long as I know it can make it back or land safely in an accessible area. I got my P3S just past 10,000ft away one day and turned around because the flight home was against some 15-20 mph wind with occasional 30mph gusts. I wouldn't recommend flying against wind on the way back, but RTH and taking it lower (out of slightly higher winds at ~400ft) brought it back just fine.

In case anyone is as surprised as I was, yes, my Phantom 3 Standard made it 10,000ft away without loss of control or video. I don't use range boosters, and it seems that the bird's reception is better when it's facing away from me. Oftentimes I'll get far out with no problem, but when I turn around to get shots on the way back, it drops remote connection temporarily and initiates RTH. I'll drop a picture of the flight path with the farthest point pegged in playback if anyone wants to see.

Sent from my iPad using PhantomPilots

My nerves give out when my live feed gets choppy, I want to see what and how I'm flying, once that's out I'm blind as a bat and I throw it in reverse so I can get her back. Hopefully the BlueProton ARGTek mod will work for me as it does for some people and boost me to that 1-1.5 mile range that it's been shown to do

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots

IMG_0122.PNG
I've lost connection to the AC numerous times and like clock work, after 30 secs or 1 minutes, screen comes back on showing the AC in RTH mode. These things will come back, so long as there's no pilot error.

Reactions: tevek
I get a weak signal warning around 1200-1500 feet on my P3S. How much farther will it usually go after the weak signal warning before total signal loss?

Sent from my SM-N920P using PhantomPilots mobile app

I guess its the feeling gamblers get only drone guys like to stretch it out over distance and hope technology works !
but as long as we are on the subject, I get these compass errors more often now and I just noticed my phone compass is needs calib. could that be it ?

To be honest with you ,my longest one was 1520 ft and feel my legs shaking out of control and the signal was perfect ,after that I keep it between 600 and 700 ft, even I lost sight of the Mavic, but guys I realize this drone is amazing .

I live in the middle of nowhere so took mine to the beach and flow it as far as I could see it I got it 1000 (3000ft) before the max distance kicked in then brought it back, and I could still see it, it did have a darker cloud behind it what made it easier to see. really want to turn off the distance restriction and see how far it will go before RTH kicks View attachment 71943 n
Beautiful spot to fly I must say.. Farthest for me was 1731 meters.. Could have went farther but this was in the forest in the middle of nowhere and if it went down it would be gone the same as if it had been the ocean..lol

Here's my arguement - what's the difference if the AC drops out of the sky 2 miles or 2' away, at a height of 200-300'? It's pretty much totaled regardless.
Also, some seem to think that if u lose connection to AC when a few miles away, that it increases the chances of a fly away. Not so - the AC will be a flyaway if it's 20' or 20 miles from you, if there's a glitch in the technology.
I read the Yuneec forum and a number of those drones seem to flyaway. The operators state that from a distance of a few feet, the drone will not take any RC inputs and starts taking off in different directions.
Keep flying, build trust in your drone and push it a bit further. It's fun!

I am afraid to sa , my nerves give out as soon as I loose visual orientation of the P3. :(
I'm with you... I grew up flying R/C planes. They did not have all the high tech stuff which is out now. People would always ask me... "What's the range on that?" My answer was always the same, "as far as I can see". So Yes, I'm with you, flying my drone past 1500 feet (+-) was very difficult for me. Happy New Year To All !!

Last edited:
Reactions: RW-1 and Philltayl
My farthest I've flown is 1968 ft. You can see the flight here:
HealthyDrones.com - Innovative flight data analysis that matters

I was starting to lose video at the time and since I was flying over a trucking business right past the park I was in, figured bring her home and play it safe. I used the litchi app to align my drone in the right direction and gave her full power. Got video feed back about 30 seconds after and was able to land her with no issues.

My farthest I've flown is 1968 ft. You can see the flight here:
HealthyDrones.com - Innovative flight data analysis that matters

I was starting to lose video at the time and since I was flying over a trucking business right past the park I was in, figured bring her home and play it safe. I used the litchi app to align my drone in the right direction and gave her full power. Got video feed back about 30 seconds after and was able to land her with no issues.

Very nice.. love the countryside. Great Job !!! Happy New Year!

1a03e00047d1905e16c1578e38cfbbdf.jpg

Here's my P3S flight just past 10,000 feet. Nothing in my setup is aftermarket (except connected device, of course). All I can conclude is that the lower interference where I fly and a lack of obstructions allow for some impressive performance. Total flight distance was 27,100 feet on this one.

EDIT: That was indeed my decision to flip it around and bring it back due to wind concerns. I haven't tried such a far flight again since that because I'm currently analyzing some worsening cracks due to me apparently over tightening the motor screws after removing prop guards a while ago. I'm going to reinforce it somehow... perhaps a topic for another thread!

Sent from my iPad using PhantomPilots

Last edited:
OK so in saying that, god **** it, I'm gonna go out this morning and load the 15 minute mission I created a week ago and haven't had the nerve to start. I think it's around 5-6 kms round trip, obviously losing signal along the way, but I have made the waypoints to follow the roads mostly, so if something happens, either I will find it, or a passing car will find it. What I actually wanted to do is, after it loses signal, turn off the controller so the signal stays disconnected and follow it to see/check that it's doing what it's supposed to.
You can do this anyways without driving to follow. Simply set up a circular mission around you within VLOS and just turn off the RC after it starts.. and watch it from where you already are.

Sent from my XT1585 using PhantomPilots mobile app

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Johnboy94