Ask permission vs beg for forgiveness

Reaction score
I went over to a minor league baseball stadium today to see if they would let me fly over and around it to get some video. There are no games, there isn't anyone in the stands just a skeleton crew of workers (I saw two). If anything I thought I could get some cool video. The manager I talked to was very nice but said I couldn't; from what he said there was issues with sponsors and minor league rules involved. Now I know I could have easily gone off property and flew the area to my hearts content since there wasn't any laws prohibiting it but I'm not a "drone punk", the people were nice & they seemed to have valid concerns. I think I made the right call. So when you go out to fly some of these cool places I see in videos is it part of your routine to ask for permission first or do you fly first and ask for forgiveness later if there are issues?

Anyone with actual authority and half a brain will never give you official permission - or at least they shouldn't. Not in the USA, at least. Why would they?

From their point of view, it's all downside, and zero upside. They don't know if you even know how to fly, whether you're a crazy person. And if something happens (property, animal, or human injury), they don't want you pointing a finger at them saying that they gave you explicit permission. It's their job on the line.

Yes, the risk of any bad scenarios happening is tiny. But it's all downside and no upside. Sometimes you can trade footage as upside for them... But a security guard doesn't care about the footage.

Anyone with actual authority and half a brain will never give you official permission - or at least they shouldn't. Not in the USA, at least. Why would they?

From their point of view, it's all downside, and zero upside. They don't know if you even know how to fly, whether you're a crazy person. And if something happens (property, animal, or human injury), they don't want you pointing a finger at them saying that they gave you explicit permission. It's their job on the line.

Yes, the risk of any bad scenarios happening is tiny. But it's all downside and no upside. Sometimes you can trade footage as upside for them... But a security guard doesn't care about the footage.
Valid point, giving permission can be seen as excepting liability..

Reactions: phantomized

Well said. You do not need to ask for permission. You just need to fly safe. If I was a security guard, I would tell you that you can do whatever you want, but I'm not giving you permission.

Well, just to be on safe side, if you are flying within north Korea best ask for permission first.

Else where here in the land of the free, asking for permission just seem "wrong" as long as you are not breaking any law. And you are not going to get permission to break law anyway, so what's the point of asking?

Reactions: FotoGeek
I think witold pretty much summed it up. I've flown over a stadium when it was closed and no one was there. I thought about asking first but did not. Afterwards I emailed them some photos and a 3d rendering. I also pointed out the safety measures taken. They emailed me back asking who gave me permission to be on their property and demanded that I delete everything online. I wrote back and explained I was not on their property, that I had a right to be in public airspace and apologized that they did not appreciate the photos. They wrote back and were more agreeable. They explained that they did not want to encourage anyone flying over the stadium. I can also understand their point of view.

I doubt anyone would give permission as they are all worried that someone will fly over during a game and crash.

I always ask... I don't want some nut chasing me with a gun or some crap...
Let them chase me, I carry most of the time myself (95%)....even when I fly :D

I am a sports photographer, and I had asked the local AAA affiliate that I shoot if I could do some aerial shots on off-days, since MiLB and MLB rules prohibit drones during games. They said it would be something they would think about. I emailed them after the season was over and haven't heard back yet. They are very nice there, and they had no issues with me doing it, especially during the off-season, but I just haven't heard from them, but will probably shoot them an email this week. The stadium where they play might not be around in a few years, so it'd be nice to get some good shots before it's gone...

I know this isn't so relevant for you NEair, but for any UK readers...
At the end of the day if you are flying safely and responsibly, keeping to the rules and regs and respecting privacy, you're all good in my eyes.
However if you were to be operating commercially and you don't have land owners permission from where you are taking off and landing from.... you will not be covered by insurance.

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Pauos31