Article ~ What are my Legal Rights and Obligations if the FAA Comes Knocking (part 1 & 2)

BigAl07

Administrator
Staff Member
Premium Pilot
Reaction score
The first article basically states what you should do when approached by any law enforcement. Say as little as possible. Anything you say may (probably will) be used against you! Be polite. If you make them mad, they may pursue something that they might have let slide if you were polite.

I have never had an inspector show up at my plane on any of my very many flights over the years. I once was asked to call the control tower after I landed. That is usually NOT a good thing. I was relieved to learn that they just wanted my opinion on an incident I witnessed. It happened just before I landed.

The media sensationalizes and promotes paranoia with anything regarding aviation, including drones. Aircraft pilots are used to it. Many drone operators are new to this.

I hope that most drone operators follow the rules. I also hope that most drone operators be courteous and try their best not to annoy the public. This is the only way to avoid regulations that threaten what could be a fun hobby and great small businesses.

The government does nothing in moderation. Please don't force them into enacting more regulations.

Reactions: MotorCycle-Man
I have never had an inspector show up at my plane on any of my very many flights over the years. I once was asked to call the control tower after I landed.

I've had both:

Ramp ~ I had a Ramp Check within the first month of having my license (that's been a few years ago) but he went over my credentials and we both went on our way. I watched as he literally went from plane to plane until he was bored or satisfied or met his "inspection" quota (I'm guessing I have nothing to verify that).

Tower ~ I had a "Please call the tower ASAP" one time after declaring an emergency (ATC turned us into moisture which resulted in significant icing including our windshield). This one included some "paperwork" which is to be expected.

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cokersean20