Argtek aerial Ext. fitting for newbies.

Reaction score
The videos showing the fitting of these kits make the three cable connectors look fairly large. In practise they are quite tiny. Lining them up to fit dead squarely on the board connectors is not easy if you don't have 20/20 vision. I would advise getting a magnifying glass and a helper to hold it for you, otherwise you may bend the tiny connectors out of shape. I was concerned that I might have done just that so decided to test.
I tested mine by reducing the 2.4GHz TX on the AC and RC using the Icarus program I recently installed (bargain!)
With all aerials removed I walked away from the stationary AC on the ground until the reported image transmission became poor. I then attached one 2.4GHz paddle to one of the terminals and the image transmission report was strong. I took that off again and then repeated this with the other paddle on the other connector. Both OK. Phew!
I did the same with the 5GHz aerial, leaving it off until the signal was poor then fitted it. Strong signal again proving that they were all fitted correctly.
Would have been so much easier with a magnifying glass and helper in the first place.
Proper flight testing when the wind drops.

You best be careful turn you controller on without the antennas attached. I have read this can really damage it.

Reactions: 805hd
Never considered that. Thankfully, I won't need to do that again. Tested it after the wind died down but it was getting dark. Took it out to 900 yards then took it home as I really couldn't see what I was doing. So, seems fine.

I was wondering about this bc I recently did the ARGtek mod as well. I didn't know if people saying not to turn the controller on without antennas was referring to not having the cables connected in the RC or the actual antennas connected in front.

Going by what you guys are saying, I made the correct assumption and never tried it. Thanks for clearing that up for me.

Why does it cause damage, and what kind of damage does it cause?

Also - regarding the Argtek pole antennae, does it broadcast perpendicular to the orientation or from the tip like a 'gun'?

edit: I understand it's that the impedance is to low when not ants are attached - but at 27 dBm max, that'd have to be some very shoddy electronics to do damage. Still a good practice not to turn on the RC without the ants on.

Last edited:

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hirehackers