DBS aerial wiring question?

Reaction score
I have just finished fitting a dbs antenna modification to my DJI P3S. I have had really good results with the 2.4 Ghz WiFi signal, extending the range way out to around 3K. However; the RC 5.8Ghz signal is relatively poor, only getting out to around 350 Meters. To check my wiring, I have used a continuity meter on both the 2.4Ghz aerial connectors, where I get a continuous circuit reading. However; when I do the continuity circuit test on the RC 5.8Ghz aerial connectors, I do not get a continuous circuit reading. Does this mean that there is a problem with my 5.8Ghz cable connections, or is the non continuous circuit correct for the 5.8 circuit? Thought I'd pick someone's experience before dismantling the RC controller and re-doing the connections unnecessarily!

Hi Clive .
You have confused me with your numbers .
How do you know you have range out to 3k with 2.4 with only 350 meters of 5.8 . I'm not sure what you mean by 3k ?
You also say 5.8 connecters . You only have 1 in your TX.
Maybe I'm just not reading this right but this makes no sense to me .

Hi Dirk,
Firstly thank you very much for your reply!
Apologies for not being more clear in explaining my issues and hopefully I can clarify some of your questions:
When I state 3k I actually mean three kilometres (1 mile 1520 yards). I was able to achieve this distance from the wifi video signal without actually flying my drone. As you said: the limitation of my Remote control signal would not allow me to push out the drone any further and test the range of my Wi Fi video signal.
So I was able to test the drones Wi Fi video signal range limits, by actually keeping the drone elevated from a pole and testing out the video signal distance by extending the distance between the controller and the drone (on land) without actually flying the drone.

When I mentioned "connectors" I am not referring to 2 number TX cables rather to the connection points at each end of my 1 number (TX) PCI to RP-SPA TX cable leading from the source TX connection point to where I have inserted my RP-SMA to the Controller Casing.

Hope this clarifies my original poor description of my issue!

Any advice you can give would be much appreciated[emoji106]

OK ... The only way I really know what I got is by flying and if your using the cable from the itelite kit just change it . I did and got over 1500' more.
I went from the blank thin cables to the thicker insulated ones cables.JPG and on the others I used shorter ones ...looks like this now and get over 2 miles with dipoles on quad .IMG_1642.JPG

Yes -your right - I have used the standard cables that came with the itelite kit. I'm definitely going to take your advice and swap over my cables for some better insulated ones. Also I know the cables need to be slightly longer on the inside cables on the standard modification, than those on other models. Where did you pick those thicker cables up from?

Yes -your right - I have used the standard cables that came with the itelite kit. I'm definitely going to take your advice and swap over my cables for some better insulated ones. Also I know the cables need to be slightly longer on the inside cables on the standard modification, than those on other models. Where did you pick those thicker cables up from?
I get the..U.FL to RP-SMA FEMALE 8″ -20cm for rc control...from FPVLR but sure you can find them else where but that's where I get my other
antennas so I just get them there .

I got the thicker 8-inch cables on eBay to get ready for my own mod. I think they are the same as Dirk's. See item 141039001265. And for the blue ones, see eBay item 251775833376. The blue ones are shipped from China so it'll take awhile.

Well I've just ordered all my upgraded cables and should be back well in time for the Christmas holidays! Thank guys for you advice!

Reactions: dirkclod
Dirk looks great! Which length blue cables did you order from eBay?

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ozmtl