Are the original DJI goggles too outdated to buy?

Reaction score
Does anyone think the original DJI white goggles are too old to buy? I'd like to connect them to my P4P not for myself but for someone else to view what I see while I'm flying. Whether letting a client see or just for someone else's enjoyment. Additionally, here in the US what's a "good" price for the original V1 DJI goggles you think?

Thanks!

Does anyone think the original DJI white goggles are too old to buy? I'd like to connect them to my P4P not for myself but for someone else to view what I see while I'm flying. Whether letting a client see or just for someone else's enjoyment. Additionally, here in the US what's a "good" price for the original V1 DJI goggles you think?

Thanks!
I use those goggles. But unless you have a Phantom 4 Pro v2, you won't be able to connect them wirelessly nor mirror your controller screen.

With the older Phantom the goggles attach to the controller via USB cable, bypassing your screen. You can have your controller screen or you can have the goggles, but not both. You also have to launch using your tablet and then switch to the goggles post launch. Otherwise, launching with the goggles puts you in Beginner mode.

I presume the goggles would have the same functionality with the P4Pv2 as they do with the Mavic - and be able to mirror the controller (rather than do the controlling), but I don't know for sure.

If you own the older Phantom there is another option to have the goggles mirror your screen, and that is to attach them directly to your tablet via the goggle's HDMI port. However, it's fiddly - you'll likely need an adapter, and not many tablets support HDMI output.

I find the goggles invaluable for flying. I don't think I could do what I do without them. That said, I don't fly commercially, and realise I wouldn't be able to get away with using them if I did.

Last edited:
Reactions: ron-ep and Chipmun2
I use those goggles. But unless you have a Phantom 4 Pro v2, you won't be able to connect them wirelessly nor mirror your controller screen.

With the older Phantom the goggles attach to the controller via USB cable, bypassing your screen. You can have your controller screen or you can have the goggles, but not both. You also have to launch using your tablet and then switch to the goggles post launch. Otherwise, launching with the goggles puts you in Beginner mode.

I presume the goggles would have the same functionality with the P4Pv2 as they do with the Mavic - and be able to mirror the controller (rather do the controlling), but I don't know for sure.

If you own the older Phantom there is another option to have the goggles mirror your screen, and that is to attach them directly to your tablet via the goggle's HDMI port. However, it's fiddly - you'll likely need an adapter, and not many tablets support HDMI output.

I find the goggles invaluable for flying. I don't think I could do what I do without them. That said, I don't fly commercially, and realise I wouldn't be able to get away with using them if I did.

Thanks!

Thanks!
Hi Ron-ep ..! In response to your query I am going to assume that the P4P is version 1… I think the glasses are going very well despite the time they have already had since their launch and I think they are an excellent complement to your P4P ..! .. The RC This model has a standard module for USB and Micro USB connection. If you want to use standard DJI glasses, I recommend that you buy and install an HDMI module for this control, DJI sells it as an accessory for the RC, this will allow you to use the USB and HDMI ports in parallel, you just have to activate the HDMI output in the App once the module has been installed and the Firmware for the module installed. I did so with my P4P Obsidian and it works great. !! .. Don't doubt about the glasses ... they will be an excellent complement to P4P.!

Reactions: ron-ep and Capt KO
Just a quick comment on those goggles: I cannot use mine. The optics don't really allow any focusing. While they seem to be universally focused for all, that doesn't help if you have old-guy presbyopia (reading glasses).

My regular reading glasses just aren't strong enough to enable me to focus on a screen clamped just inches from my face. I even went to my opthmologist and purchased a special pair just for the goggles, but they still weren't strong enough, and I had no way of telling the eye doctor how strong they needed to be.

Looking though those things for very long makes me puking sick from motion sickness, and it really screws me up when it is out of focus as well. I figure I will learn to manage the motion sickness with a bit of practice, but I can't manage the out of focus without proper eyewear.

I should have gone to Walmart and kept trying different powers of cheap reading glasses until I found a set that worked.

Last edited:
Just a quick comment on those goggles: I cannot use mine. The optics don't really allow any focusing. While they seem to be universally focused for all, that doesn't help if you have old-guy presbyopia (reading glasses).

My regular reading glasses just aren't strong enough to enable me to focus on a screen clamped just inches from my face. I even went to my opthmologist and purchased a special pair just for the goggles, but they still weren't strong enough, and I had no way of telling the eye doctor how strong they needed to be.

Looking though those things for very long makes me puking sick from motion sickness, and it really screws me up when it is out of focus as well. I figure I will learn to manage the motion sickness with a bit of practice, but I can't manage the out of focus without proper eyewear.

I should have gone to Walmart and kept trying different powers of cheap reading glasses until I found a set that worked.
Good point. I'm long-sighted and need glasses for reading. The goggles have quite a close focal length, and my regular glasses don't bring the image into focus. I was able to find a stronger pair for $4 that work perfectly with the goggles. But if you already need strong reading glasses, you may not be able to sufficiently correct your vision to use the goggles.

Check out this video. I got a pair of focus fixers and they work great. they are designed for the distance inside the DJI goggles.
You may have provided the wrong link.

They didn't when I bought the goggles. If they have them now, perhaps you have a link?

Of course, the fact that they have lenses doesn't mean that you will know what diopter lens you might need.

Well depends, outdated since rule metion must have eyes on it all times but why would they sell them if illegal to fly with,,I had some,didnt enjoy them,Movero BT glasses be way better,,another fault with the dji white goggles was the resale value is bad,,lose money big time ,might aswell adapt a motorcycle helmet ,those dji goggles bulky and top heavy,,a seat helps when wearing so dont fall over lol

Just found this link, so might be too outdated for a reply. I just bought the white goggles for $179. They did not come with the cable to connect them to my Phantom 4 Pro v1. Works fine with my Mavic pro. I cannot find the exact cable to connect to my P4P. Anyone with an answer?

Just found this link, so might be too outdated for a reply. I just bought the white goggles for $179. They did not come with the cable to connect them to my Phantom 4 Pro v1. Works fine with my Mavic pro. I cannot find the exact cable to connect to my P4P. Anyone with an answer?
I delete other info because I misread
If using the HDMI get a adapter for hdmi cable,,cheap to buy but not from Harvey norman's where I went,,is this the cable you mention ? THese adapters make mini to mini conection...USB-c
Or are you referring to original USB cable with round plug end ? Screenshot_20230621-183450_Gallery.jpg
16873264257054859903657613554978.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
The original cable connects via USB from controller to the goggles via what appears to be an older Android connector before USB 'C' connector, but different. I have cables from older Android phones, but they do not fit the goggles. The input into the goggles is also a 90 degree connector. Thanks though....

The original cable connects via USB from controller to the goggles via what appears to be an older Android connector before USB 'C' connector, but different. I have cables from older Android phones, but they do not fit the goggles. The input into the goggles is also a 90 degree connector. Thanks though....
This what's in original kit,,Is that look like it,I sort of remember mine being angled also but cant find my pictures
20230622_082735.jpg

Here's my post from 2019 type A to type D Male
I could be wrong but dont the p4p only conect with USB , that's what specs show unless newer firmware has changed the way they now conect
I did think they were connected by hdmi but that's p4s,,mayby add pic of plug size on the Goggles to shake the memory ,

Screenshot_20230622-084019_Samsung Internet.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
ianzone, you nailed it. That is the cable I need. The input on the goggles is labeled HDMI. So it would be HDMI mini to USB into the controller. You will notice in the ad from Amazon it states HDMI. That goggle connector is definitley smaller than the older Android connector before USB C.
There are no firmware upgrades since I think a few years ago. DJI has abandoned one of their best drones. Not even listed on their website for parts.
Will try to find it on Amazon again. That was an old listing, not there now; or I missed it.

ianzone, you nailed it. That is the cable I need. The input on the goggles is labeled HDMI. So it would be HDMI mini to USB into the controller. You will notice in the ad from Amazon it states HDMI. That goggle connector is definitley smaller than the older Android connector before USB C.
There are no firmware upgrades since I think a few years ago. DJI has abandoned one of their best drones. Not even listed on their website for parts.
Will try to find it on Amazon again. That was an old listing, not there now; or I missed it.
Yeh that's from my old posting in 2019 as example picture,Agree sure are hard to find,its like internet RTH when asking or searching, always comes up with just the HDMI adapter which goes into remote USB module or a OTG adapter cable,or various other cables .
I did spy this one in link below , Not original cable but says its got white Goggles and p4p so they are about,Phantom Help only shows HDMI adapter available but annoyed me so much I even ask DJI SUPPORT but still waiting on reply
This one in link shows it fits the Goggles and remote,dont know the quality of these
Good luck finding the original , I searched and couldn't even find one,they sure made that tricky

Thanks ianzone. That looks like it would fit, but they sure are proud of it: $26.59 is pretty steep for a cable. Might have to get it, but will go to BestBuy and see if they have one first. Only paid $179 for the goggles. Works fine with my Mavic Pro, so might just use them on the MP and not the P4P.
It's frustrating that I can't get an answer from DJI.

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cokersean20