Anyone Updated to iOS 8.4 Yet?

GadgetGuy

Premium Pilot
Reaction score
Apple released their iOS 8.4 update a few days ago.
Has anyone taken the plunge yet that can report back on the Pilot app, or any other issues encountered? The iOS 8.3 update broke almost all external BT GPS devices, forcing me to buy a $300 compatible BT GPS device in the interim, and this update supposedly restores that functionality, but I am leary. Once burned, twice shy.

Pilot requires GPS location information for lots of its functionality, including setting Home Point to the transmitter location, so this is a valid concern. My GolfLogix golf club tracking app was completely ruined by the 8.3 update, as it couldn't find me on the course anymore, let alone accurately measure drives and distances to the green.

There is no rollback available, after updating to 8.4, so let's have the early adopters reassure us.

I updated my last iPad Air 2 without Cellular, and had no problem. Then I returned that one for an iPad Mini 2 with cellular, no problem. Today, I returned the iPad Mini 2 for an iPad Air 2 cellular. I am updating it to iOS 8.4 as we speak. So far so good.
I will check to see if my flight logs are still intact, as I didn't send them to the iCloud. Fingers crossed.

RedHotPoker

I updated my last iPad Air 2 without Cellular, and had no problem. Then I returned that one for an iPad Mini 2 with cellular, no problem. Today, I returned the iPad Mini 2 for an iPad Air 2 cellular. I am updating it to iOS 8.4 as we speak. So far so good.
I will check to see if my flight logs are still intact, as I didn't send them to the iCloud. Fingers crossed.

RedHotPoker
No wonder they are out of stock on the ipads-- you have been buying them and doing unboxing videos:D:D:D:D:cool::cool::cool:

Bob,
No unboxing videos, for me, just a little self satisfaction, and some wrangling of funds.
I can't understand why everything has to cost so darn much these days.
I do understand supply and demand, but there is no way a tablet can cost that much, that Apple can charge us an arm and leg to purchase their products. As awesome as they may be. And they are. I decided early on, that if I was going buy something, I would try to buy the very best I could afford at the time, and make it last. So far, I have been very satisfied with my choices. Likely I could have purchased an Advanced instead of the Professional model, but I wouldn't have been as excited and happy to fly it, as I am this awesome model. This is definitely a rich mans/ladies hobby. As most people I know would think we are all crazy, spending this amount of money on a quad copter. But they have no idea the complexity and depth of electronics built into these incredible drone copters, we love.
I say WE, even though there are a few Nay Sayers in the group.

Some people are never happy... So let them be grumpy. While we augh and Abe a great time flying.

RedHotPoker

Reactions: bobmyers and snerd
I updated and flew one battery this morning with it. I had two issues that were both down to me being silly; 1. Iost all flight data (but subsequently discovered that I have two DJI accounts). 2. I got the Gimbal Overload message, but I had forgotten to remove the gimbal clamp. Muppet.

Apart from user error, all worked fine, but I don't use external bluetooth devices like the OP

Purchased a WiFi only iPad Air 2 this evening and updated it to 8.4, installed the Pilot app, and flew to a golf course half a mile away and back with no 8.4 issues. Really liking the Air 2 size and snappiness, compared to the Mini 2. Jury is still out on whether I will need to get the cellular version to be able to change the Home Point to the transmitter location. Pilot app on WiFi Air 2 now sees the BT external GPS location, as does Maps, displaying a blue dot at it's location, and it is very accurate! I have also sent an email to my internal contact at Bad Elf to see if they can assist in getting Pilot to become a more fully supported Bad Elf app, like GolfLogix, which uses the more accurate Bad Elf GPS info for distance calculations, rather than just visually displaying the more accurate location. 8.4 does fix the iOS recognition of the BT GPS of the $150 Bad Elf Pro which 8.3 broke, so no need to spend $300 now to get the Bad Elf Pro+.

Last edited:
Reactions: bobmyers
No updating to 8.4 for me. Not willing to give up the jailbreak. And there is no gain in upgrading anyway.
It does fix the broken BT GPS for the older BT GPS devices, which have been useless for the last 3 months! :cool:

Looks like a Green Light so far on 8.4.
No reported issues with DJI Pilot from anyone that has updated to 8.4, including me. Go ahead and update, unless you know of another issue with it that is independent of the DJI Pilot app that would hold you back.

Reactions: bobmyers

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jody.paugh@fullerandsons.