Anyone switch from P3 4K to Spark?

Reaction score
Hello everyone,

I got my P3 4K a while back but find that I don’t fly much due to the size of not being so portable and quick and easy to deploy. I love it and it’s great fun to fly but I am wondering about moving to th Spark. Just seems much more portable, which I like, but I’m concerned with it being lesser quality and how the camera compares, with the 4K obviously. I don’t shoot in 4K anyway since the file size is so huge and I’m guessing 1080 should be the same on both?

Anyone else made this move or own both? I would love to hear from your experience!

Thank you!

Well I have a phantom 3 standard but the spark does not interest me at all... Yes portability is great but you can't compare the camera... The standard have a better quality camera than the spark, so the 4k version is even better. I have a backpack exclusive for my phantom. So carry this drone around is not an issue for me. But if you exchange the phantom 4k for a Spark, you are downgrading yourself.

Last edited:
Reactions: TerKelDing
Well I have a phantom 3 standard but the spark does not interest me at all... Yes portability is great but you can't compare the camera... The standard have a better quality camera than the spark, so the 4k version is even better. I have a backpack exclusive for my phantom. So carry this drone around is not an issue for me. But if you exchange the phantom 4k for a Spark, you are downgrading yourself.

Thanks for your reply! I keep having the nagging feeling like it would be too much of a downgrade trade off just to get the smaller portability. The camera on my 4K really is nice and if I ever do want to shoot in 4K it’s there. I have a backpack type case too, Lowepro CS400 but it’s still a little bulky.

I just wasn’t sure how much of a downgrade a Spark really is though. It does have a lot of newer technology and features that my 4K doesn’t have.

Thanks for your reply! I keep having the nagging feeling like it would be too much of a downgrade trade off just to get the smaller portability. The camera on my 4K really is nice and if I ever do want to shoot in 4K it’s there. I have a backpack type case too, Lowepro CS400 but it’s still a little bulky.

I just wasn’t sure how much of a downgrade a Spark really is though. It does have a lot of newer technology and features that my 4K doesn’t have.
The only features the spark have is related to selfies photos / videos and the ability to use your hand to control the aircraft. That to me is great but I am not a selfie guy myself. I saw some YouTube videos of the spark in sport mode and didn't like it... The camera shake up too much and that's a deal breaker to me. If you get the spark with the controller which cost $700 bucks all together, you can go up to 2.5 kilometers in distance. But for that price, I rather pay for a phantom 3 advanced.

As I understand it - the Spark has a combined mechanical and ELECTRONIC camera stabilisation - unlike Phantoms which have full mechanical ...

For me - the Spark seems an expensive Toy ...

I thought the Mavic was a step towards Toyland ... but the Spark takes the leap !!

Nigel

As I understand it - the Spark has a combined mechanical and ELECTRONIC camera stabilisation - unlike Phantoms which have full mechanical ...

For me - the Spark seems an expensive Toy ...

I thought the Mavic was a step towards Toyland ... but the Spark takes the leap !!

Nigel
The Mavic Pro is the king in a good way... Portability and range... The Mavic use Ocusync technology which is better than lighbridge.

I have to admit that I am biased ... I didn't like the way Mavic flew when I tried one in our club ... and I have no call for portability as some ...

I will take a lot of convincing vs my P3P and even my P3S ...

Nigel

I recently got a Spark and I love it! Flight control is responsive but not overly aggressive, video is good. My favorite function is tripod mode for really smooth video. I have shot some footage in riverbeds under trees using tripod. The forward obstacle avoidance has worked flawlessly. The RTH can be set to return at the current altitude which is good if you're flying under a tree canopy. The panorama and soft focus depth of field give some interesting still photos. I'm looking forward to the "fisheye" photo mode. Precision RTH lands within a few inches of the take-off point when using a landing pad. Active track from rear, profile, or front has it's uses. Dronie, rocket, and helix modes perhaps less useful. There is no waypoint mode in either DJI GO4 or Litchi. Throwing the switch to sports mode and zooming away in an instant is a rush. Sport mode is not used for shooting video, just fun flying.
When I go out to fly I take both the Spark and P3-4k. I pull out the Spark first. Ready to fly in about 30 seconds.
Downside is of course the 1080p which means not much flexibility for cropping video and the short flight time.
It's also supported by the Epson Moverio BT-300 AR goggles. Litchi supports it but adds nothing.

td

I recently got a Spark and I love it! Flight control is responsive but not overly aggressive, video is good. My favorite function is tripod mode for really smooth video. I have shot some footage in riverbeds under trees using tripod. The forward obstacle avoidance has worked flawlessly. The RTH can be set to return at the current altitude which is good if you're flying under a tree canopy. The panorama and soft focus depth of field give some interesting still photos. I'm looking forward to the "fisheye" photo mode. Precision RTH lands within a few inches of the take-off point when using a landing pad. Active track from rear, profile, or front has it's uses. Dronie, rocket, and helix modes perhaps less useful. There is no waypoint mode in either DJI GO4 or Litchi. Throwing the switch to sports mode and zooming away in an instant is a rush. Sport mode is not used for shooting video, just fun flying.
When I go out to fly I take both the Spark and P3-4k. I pull out the Spark first. Ready to fly in about 30 seconds.
Downside is of course the 1080p which means not much flexibility for cropping video and the short flight time.
It's also supported by the Epson Moverio BT-300 AR goggles. Litchi supports it but adds nothing.

td
Thanks for the info! I do understand that the P3 4K is superior in a number of ways but I find I'm just not too inclined to take it out with me as much as I'd like. The case is really big and it causes a bit of a scene setting it up and all when I'd prefer the smaller package for more convenience. My fiancée and I like to travel and we took it to the FL Keys this summer and shot some nice video but finding a nice spot away from people and all was a little trickier than I'd hoped. I'm thinking the Spark would just be much easier to have with us more often, take up less space and be quicker and easier to launch and fly. We are heading up to NH in two weeks for fall foliage and I would love to take a Spark in the trip but being iffy about taking the P3.

That said, where is a good place to post an almost brand new P3 4K for sale? I posted it in the classifieds here but no response and I think I'm pretty fair on the price. Any thoughts or suggestions are much appreciated!

"but finding a nice spot away from people " ...............

Please don't tell me you think you can fly amongst or near people more than with your P3-4K ?

I really do not like the DJI advertisement video for the Spark .... it shows it being used in and around groups of people, in restricted spaces .... things that the community are trying to get pilots to stay away from.

Sorry .... but I don't think its right.

Nigel

The spark does not interest me too, to small for my liking it must be hard to spot in the sky being that size?

Hello everyone,

I got my P3 4K a while back but find that I don’t fly much due to the size of not being so portable and quick and easy to deploy. I love it and it’s great fun to fly but I am wondering about moving to th Spark. Just seems much more portable, which I like, but I’m concerned with it being lesser quality and how the camera compares, with the 4K obviously. I don’t shoot in 4K anyway since the file size is so huge and I’m guessing 1080 should be the same on both?

Anyone else made this move or own both? I would love to hear from your experience!

Thank you!

I think the Spark and Phantom are two different drones with different uses. I love my Phantom, yet I am restricted in when an where I can fly. The Spark opens up new opportunities as to where and when I fly. Spark is always in my car. If I want to take photos or movies of a water fall and there are people around, I can not fly the Phantom, because people become alerted and many are scared. I can put up my Spark In under 2 minutes and I am amazed that I seem to be invisible. When I first flew the Spark, I had it over a running path about eye level. I had not seem any runners and I was studying the app. Then I looked up and there was a woman runner with a dog. I had no time to react, the woman tilted her head away from the Spark never looked at me and kept going. Now I am watching as I put up the Spark with people around and they do not care that it is there. I believe it is because it is quiet, small and seems to be just a small innocuous toy. I love the Spark and I love my Phantom. I will fly the Phantom if it is with me and I am comfortable with the location.
OK, I am careful with the Spark and I do not fly close to people, such that I would ever cause an issue with proximity.
Oh, the Spark camera is not a issue for me. If I find that I like the Spark’s photography and need better, I return with my Phantom when I can fly at that location.
Your comments and criticism are welcome, George

Reactions: Tony49
I believe there would be less of an objection to flying the spark near people, even from officials than the Phantom due to size, assuming you are above them rather than among them. This due to size and weight difference.
But each is for a specific purpose. Want prosumer video? Then use P3, P4 or P4Pro.
Just having fun with acceptable video but not pro quality? Spark will likely fit the bill.

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
intertronixlabel