Anyone lose a drone in south east London xmas day?

Reaction score
Want to quickly share this guys before it gets sold. This guy is trying to sell off a flyway phantom which landed in he's garden xmas day.

Really pisses me off that scum like this tries to make a few quid. I personally made an offer myself but didn't know it was a fly away at the time. Just this second seen it.

It's on shpock app

1486701608677.png

1486701667485.png

Neon Euc

Sad thing is you can tell it was a xmas prezzies as the battery still has the sticker on it [emoji17]

Neon Euc

I know. Really sad. Could be an unemployed parent saving hard to buy he's kid that prezzie that he/she may not even see that much for all we know. [emoji17][emoji17]

Neon Euc

If the laws are the same as over here the guy is selling stolen property and anyone that buys it will be buying stolen property so walk away..

Maybe remind him of that and get him to drop it into the police.

You could also ask him to send you the serial number, pretending that you need that to match a controller and then give that number to DJI to see if it has been registered and they can contact the owner.

Reactions: Neon Euc
Given the technology in the current DJI drones and the app it is surprising they have not implemented an apple like security lock feature. Simply force authentication using the original account used at the time of registration when a new remote pairing is performed. Could even have a "find my drone" app that reports any connection to the DJI servers.

If the laws are the same as over here the guy is selling stolen property and anyone that buys it will be buying stolen property so walk away..

Maybe remind him of that and get him to drop it into the police.

You could also ask him to send you the serial number, pretending that you need that to match a controller and then give that number to DJI to see if it has been registered and they can contact the owner.
Did you ever get the bottom of the guy selling his 'found drone'?

Given the technology in the current DJI drones and the app it is surprising they have not implemented an apple like security lock feature. Simply force authentication using the original account used at the time of registration when a new remote pairing is performed. Could even have a "find my drone" app that reports any connection to the DJI servers.
This has been been suggested in an earlier thread, maybe as part of rob1962's pursuit of the 'found drone'. My wife's phone went 'missing' and I was able to disable it in 3 minutes, much like her credit card that had a similar fate. Understand that many would consider owning a drone as a hobby pursuit and not an issue of lost revenue by the proprietary owners. I'm sure it can be done through either a simple app configuration or a chip that can be placed on the drone that can be disabled remotely through a simple SIM card arrangement.

This has been been suggested in an earlier thread, maybe as part of rob1962's pursuit of the 'found drone'. My wife's phone went 'missing' and I was able to disable it in 3 minutes, much like her credit card that had a similar fate. Understand that many would consider owning a drone as a hobby pursuit and not an issue of lost revenue by the proprietary owners. I'm sure it can be done through either a simple app configuration or a chip that can be placed on the drone that can be disabled remotely through a simple SIM card arrangement.
Yes, I did make the same suggestion in that earlier discussion. I don't understand your hobby distinction, the drones are in the nature of property to the same extent an iPhone is (by value and desirability). Lost revenue by proprietary owners is of no relavence (assuming I understand what you mean by that wording). This should be a solution that could be implemented in firmware.

Nope,
He still has it. I talked to him a few times and got the serial number and passed it on to DJI........... and haven't heard back! I have screen caps of the DJI conversation, they were so keen but....nada

Police from 2 stations palmed it off... bigger doughnuts to fry :p
One officer from the station closest to the seller wanted so bad to help (and could not understand why I wanted to help) but was ham strung because "the system" would not let him put a job in to send his team out without a victim. I believe he was genuinely keen to help.

Yes, I did make the same suggestion in that earlier discussion. I don't understand your hobby distinction, the drones are in the nature of property to the same extent an iPhone is (by value and desirability). Lost revenue by proprietary owners is of no relavence (assuming I understand what you mean by that wording). This should be a solution that could be implemented in firmware.
I drew that distinction with respect to the hobby pursuit being less of a red flag for actioning remedial action as 'it's just a hobby'. I agree that misappropriation of property should be managed regardless of the value, item or use of a product, my reference to credit cards is of obvious importance to the financial importance to the banking institution given their exposure to fraud and their embedded insurance for refund claims. The same rationale applies to phones as an experience with Telstra following a 'lost phone' resulted in bills listing calls to Indonesia that were clearly not mine. If there is a monetary disadvantage to either car, house, or personal insurance companies, technology will rain from the sky to intervene.
Drones are not yet in that category except for common law relating to theft and the resources to chase up a drone, push bike, or the neighbours fishing rod.
Yes there should be a cheap and easy method of deactivating the drone in the event of a loss and I suspect it will come as the industry matures.

Reactions: rich_schultz
I drew that distinction with respect to the hobby pursuit being less of a red flag for actioning remedial action as 'it's just a hobby'. I agree that misappropriation of property should be managed regardless of the value, item or use of a product, my reference to credit cards is of obvious importance to the financial importance to the banking institution given their exposure to fraud and their embedded insurance for refund claims. The same rationale applies to phones as an experience with Telstra following a 'lost phone' resulted in bills listing calls to Indonesia that were clearly not mine. If there is a monetary disadvantage to either car, house, or personal insurance companies, technology will rain from the sky to intervene.
Drones are not yet in that category except for common law relating to theft and the resources to chase up a drone, push bike, or the neighbours fishing rod.
Yes there should be a cheap and easy method of deactivating the drone in the event of a loss and I suspect it will come as the industry matures.
Ok, so it has little if anything to do with intellectual property, more the exposure to loss by a third party. A huge incentive for action by the telcos and banks there, i agree fully. This doesnt apply to my comparison to the Apple solution however. Apple doesn't incurr any network costs for carrier charges on stolen devices. it could be very easily implemented during the initial and any subsequent registration procedure. It may also serve to limit the possibility of a stolen AC being used for nefarious purposes.

Ok, so it has little if anything to do with intellectual property, more the exposure to loss by a third party. A huge incentive for action by the telcos and banks there, i agree fully. This doesnt apply to my comparison to the Apple solution however. Apple doesn't incurr any network costs for carrier charges on stolen devices. it could be very easily implemented during the initial and any subsequent registration procedure. It may also serve to limit the possibility of a stolen AC being used for nefarious purposes.
Apple wont have issues with network costs and liabilities due the third party nature of the carrier service using the devices, and there will rarely be a risk of their IP being compromised by us mere mortals. It is a safe and secure platform to offer a service to the public and the 'I agree' button confirms it. There's an option to disable phones, cards and i fully agree with you that it can be done. Once the profile of the drone industry raises to a profitable level, either apple or DJI or others out there will have a solution.

Apple wont have issues with network costs and liabilities due the third party nature of the carrier service using the devices, and there will rarely be a risk of their IP being compromised by us mere mortals. It is a safe and secure platform to offer a service to the public and the 'I agree' button confirms it. There's an option to disable phones, cards and i fully agree with you that it can be done. Once the profile of the drone industry raises to a profitable level, either apple or DJI or others out there will have a solution.
Exciting times ahead no doubt. With Intel acquiring movidius (the tech enabling obstacle avoidance, active track ect in the current DJI lineup) and their demonstrated flight controller tech and financial resources we can only hope they will follow their traditional business model and offer turn key solutions to new entrants.

Nope,
He still has it. I talked to him a few times and got the serial number and passed it on to DJI........... and haven't heard back! I have screen caps of the DJI conversation, they were so keen but....nada

Police from 2 stations palmed it off... bigger doughnuts to fry[emoji14]One officer from the station closest to the seller wanted so bad to help (and could not understand why I wanted to help) but was ham strung because "the system" would not let him put a job in to send his team out without a victim. I believe he was genuinely keen to help.
Really appreciate the help on that. Hopefully we can get this back to the right owner. I'm tempted to meet him, bring my remote and pair it up and say it was mine then take it to the police station. But I have my daughter staying today so can't make it

Neon Euc

Unfortunately, a new owner may not have the wherewithal to browse forums for help.

Sad, but very uplifting to see the efforts some people (the people here) will go to try to help. Nice!

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots

I know. Really sad. Could be an unemployed parent saving hard to buy he's kid that prezzie that he/she may not even see that much for all we know. [emoji17][emoji17]

Neon Euc

I know, right? That's how I usually end up looking at things. Way to tear at the heartstrings.

Let's pretend it's a spoiled, rich, unappreciative brat, ok?

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
adrie