Anyone here considering earning supplemental income with the P3?

That is one of the reasons you are asking for an "exemption" IE..... You are asking for permission NOT to comply with that regulation. Just like all the others.

Not to rain on your parade with a cloud of doubt...congratulations on getting your 333. Not a small effort, good job following through and getting approval!

But, I do wonder... Many people ask for, and get granted 333 exemptions without a pilots license. It's just that the Pilot in Command always needs a pilots license to USE the exemption. So an email saying you were granted an exemption, doesn't on its face say you were granted it under ALL your requests (no pilots license) or without many conditions (including licensing requirements). Did your email specify the conditions? If not I'd hold off the party. If they included in the exemption letter a specification that your PIC doesn't need a pilots license, you likely made many people here very happy as I'm sure they will use your petition as a template for their own requests.

But...just receiving a notice you've been granted an exemption, doesn't mean it is unconditional. Looking forward to clarification with fingers crossed.

Reactions: Brad Pierce
Just got my FAA exemption letter today. NO PILOTS LICENSE NEEDED!
Ain't gonna happen. Read conditions and limitations #13.
The exemption holder doesn't need a pilot certificate, but the PIC flying the UAS does.

Would be great but i have asked the faa specifically about this. So until i see your exemption online...I'm holding out on getting excited.

You would be the only case I have heard that doesn't need a sports pilot license which is at least 4k. The FAA should have a sUAS course soon which will fill this gap that should only be a couple hundred dollars. You should start saving your flight logs now as this will be necessary to get around the pilot license requirement. I would love to do commercial work, have been approached on multiple occasions and I know there are so many operating illegally in my area Metro NY/NJ. I am too paranoid and have too much to lose to risk it for some money now. I will fly free for the experience until I can get a real drone license. I would love to get even a sports pilot license but I don't have the time nor money for it right now.

Last edited:
Mr. Thomas Platt Owner/Chief Pilot Aerial Video NW Marysville, WADear Mr. Platt:Exemption No. 12294Regulatory Docket No. FAA–2015–1452This letter is to inform you that we have granted your request for exemption. It transmits our decision, explains its basis, and gives you the conditions and limitations of the exemption, including the date it ends.By letter entered into the public docket on May 5, 2015, you petitioned the Federal Aviation Administration (FAA) on behalf of Aerial Video NorthWest (hereinafter petitioner or operator) for an exemption. The petitioner requested to operate an unmanned aircraft system (UAS) to conduct aerial photography and/or video, land surveying, cinematography inspection, and UAS training.1See Appendix A for the petition submitted to the FAA describing the proposed operations and the regulations that the petitioner seeks an exemption.The FAA has determined that good cause exists for not publishing a summary of the petition in the Federal Register because the requested exemption would not set a precedent, and any delay in acting on this petition would be detrimental to the petitioner.1 The petitioner also requested authority to conduct UAS training. At this time, the FAA is unable to authorize UAS operations for training until a further assessment is completed. When the FAA completes its review, we will proceed accordingly and no further action will be required by the petitioner. However, the petitioner is permitted to train its own pilot in commands and visual observers in accordance with condition no. 14 and the other conditions and limitations in this exemption.

@TAZ....... AGAIN....... It is an EXEMPTION from those rules!
No need to shout. I think I was aptly communicating reserved excitement for you. Just asking for clarification. That's all. I've seen your post of the letter. After reading, I'd still be reserved in my excitement. Your actual exemption will be perfectly clear of the limitations.

If your exemption allows for non certified pilots, this is in fact big news, and counter to all that has proceeded you. That's why the skepticism. Easily settled once you have the exemption in hand.

I'm going to predict that he's going to be disappointed to find that yes, indeed, the PIC "does" need to be a licensed pilot. If not, hmmm......, what's to bet? Hmmmm........ I know! I'll eat my hat!!

Reactions: jcknows0
Mistaken not a liar. I hope you're right.
I also hope that you are right, but it ain't gonna' happen. There is no way no how that the FAA is going to grant a Section 333 waiver with no pilot certificate requirement.

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cgarner1