Anybody having problems with e-clips coming off in flight?

Re: Anybody having problems with e-clips coming off in fligh

Bluegrass said:
I didn't know that Phantom owners had to refurbish their quad motors. How often do they need repair. Where do you get the parts. I just assumed if you wore out a motor, you would replace the motor.

They sell replacement bearings on ebay that are supposed to be better than stock.They also sell oil to lubricate the bearings,but ElGuano has told me these motors dont need lubricating? I know after I've had some crashes,one of the motors didnt spin as well as the others and when I oiled the bearings it started spinning like the others.

Bluegrass said:
Since the topic is about repairs, has anyone found a source for a substitute for the Allen wrench comes with the Phantom that is easier to use such as screw driver?

My phantom came with 1 allen wrench.I have just ordered this one
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00EOJ ... UTF8&psc=1

Waiting to get it in,I think its the right size

I lost an e-clip on a stock motor after about 25 flights. I got frustrated trying to get it back on so, I just replaced the motor. After about 50 flights, now, I haven't had any more problems.

WoodlakeDrone said:
I lost an e-clip on a stock motor after about 25 flights. I got frustrated trying to get it back on so, I just replaced the motor. After about 50 flights, now, I haven't had any more problems.

Yeah it can be frustrating,I lost a couple the first few times,they would go flying off when trying to put them on.Thats why I ordered replacements.I've almost got it down to a science now,and I've put epoxy on mine to help hold them in place.I've even thought about lead soldering them on.

Lubing bearings is contentious for phantoms. Part of the concern is that the lube weakens the plastic of the shell that also holds the motor mounts. Under general use cases you shouldn't need to lube, and if something goes wrong, bearing assemblies are cheap to replace. The motors themselves don't cost all that much, either.

Some people lube regularly and have no problem, others get cracks in the shell (then again some who don't lube get cracks too).

I have hundreds of hours on original motors and haven't lubed them or replaced bearings ever, at 1200-1300g AUW.

ElGuano said:
Lubing bearings is contentious for phantoms. Part of the concern is that the lube weakens the plastic of the shell that also holds the motor mounts. Under general use cases you shouldn't need to lube, and if something goes wrong, bearing assemblies are cheap to replace. The motors themselves don't cost all that much, either.

Some people lube regularly and have no problem, others get cracks in the shell (then again some who don't lube get cracks too).

I have hundreds of hours on original motors and haven't lubed them or replaced bearings ever, at 1200-1300g AUW.

Thanks for the clarification.Yeah I started getting a lot of hairline cracks around the motor mounts also,but I attributed that to drilling a hole in the mounts for easy access to lube bearings as seen here:
http://vimeo.com/65607135
As you can see in the comments section,I let him know about my cracks and he doesnt seem to believe its from the holes drilled,so who really knows whats causing these to crack.Probably just too much stress on motors and shell was not made strong enough there.I've had the mounts break where I screw the shell in also,I dont think this plastic is that tough.
I just fitted everything to a new shell,and before assembly I put plast aid :http://www.amazon.com/Plast-aid-Repair-Plastic-1-5oz-80100/dp/B004DFHLUA/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1397760646&sr=8-3&keywords=plast+aid
on the underside of shell around motor mounts and around some of the shell screw mounts to try and help reinforce things and prevent future cracks,hopefully this will help

htownphantom said:
Bluegrass said:
Since the topic is about repairs, has anyone found a source for a substitute for the Allen wrench comes with the Phantom that is easier to use such as screw driver?

My phantom came with 1 allen wrench.I have just ordered this one
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00EOJ ... UTF8&psc=1

Waiting to get it in,I think its the right size

Got my tool in today.It is the right size for the phantom but one thing I failed to realize was the metal is brass and might not hold up that long but the good thing is it can be replaced in the handle.
Ive never heard of titanium nitrade but it might hold up better than brass
http://www.amazon.com/Titanium-Nitride- ... 99W0T2SS42

Thanks for the links on the allen wrenches. I bought the brass one and than saw the titanium and ordered that set too. Anyone have a link to where you can purchase replacement motors & about how much should I expect to pay for one. I guess I'll order a couple to have around just in case.

Bluegrass said:
Thanks for the links on the allen wrenches. I bought the brass one and than saw the titanium and ordered that set too. Anyone have a link to where you can purchase replacement motors & about how much should I expect to pay for one. I guess I'll order a couple to have around just in case.
iirc they're around $25/motor. They're easy enough to google but make are you get the appropriate cw/ccw version for your 1.2+.

Cracks in the shell are a bit of a mystery. Lots of people who lube or loctite their motor bolts get them. Some people who don't so anything get them. But they are fairly rare. I have almost 100 hours (maybe more by now) on my airframe and I've had a few hard crashes, and Zero hairline motor mount cracks on the shell. I don't think it's a case of the shell being too weak for normal wear and tear.

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ozmtl