Any problems with compass around big ships?

I know that this is the phantom forum but want to let you guys that meta4 is 100% correct. Stay away from big container ships. I lost an Autel Evo when I was filming one. The ship was on the middle of the river, parked and not moving. So went a little closer, I would say around 10 to 15 meters away when suddenly I lost communication with the Evo and never got it back. I was using only the controller screen. Someone told me too that could be the radar of the ships that can interfere with the communication of your drone.

Stay away from big container ships.
Big container ships?
DJI_0657c-X3.jpg

I lost an Autel Evo when I was filming one. The ship was on the middle of the river, parked and not moving. So went a little closer, I would say around 10 to 15 meters away when suddenly I lost communication with the Evo and never got it back. I was using only the controller screen. Someone told me too that could be the radar of the ships that can interfere with the communication of your drone.
Whatever caused your incident, I doubt that the ship's radar had anything to do with it.
I've photographed several hundred ships but never had any problem caused by radar or the ships electronic equipment.

Reactions: macoman
Yes. But there is a big BUT. If no wind and the ship not moving, then is OK.
Otherwise you can have troubles as the drone won't hold the position. It will drift with the wind and this needs a lot of practice. You can try practicing in more coveniant place.
The same is if the ship is moving. And holding position is then of no use as the drone must move at the same speed and direction as the ship. It is very tricky buisnes. Suppose that that's why is not allowed to use a drone on ships.

Yes, landing on a moving object is very tricky to do, especially when you are some distance away. However I am confident in my airmanship to do this. I have landed on moving objects before a lot smaller than that!

A couple years back I flew many flights with a Phantom 3 Pro and Matrice 100 from the Sam Simon, a large metal ship, with few problems. If there was an error at start up we'd move and hand launch the P3P. For the Matrice, if there was an error, we'd hold it off the deck during initialization then set it on the deck to launch. Never had an issue flying close to the ship for filming or landing.

I made a very rough estimate because I was unable to find the displacement anywhere.
But deadweight is not the weight of the ship either.
You might benefit from this reference: Deadweight tonnage - Wikipedia

DWT is basically the carrying capacity in tonnage of a vessel which also includes stores / personnel / bunkers etc.

My comment - which you obviously have not a clue about ...

She's actually only about 12,800 MT Summer DWT ... giving her only a fraction of your 50KT in actual light displacement. (GRT and NRT are not actual weights but volumes)

12,800 MT Summer DWT is the load to bring her to Summer Draft marks.
Your 50KT was so far of the mark to be ludicrous.
Should you check Q88's or simple Marinesearch or other online resurce ... use of GRT or NRT would likewise be wrong for the actual tonnage in weight.

You are now straying into my career territory ....

Should you check Q88's or simple Marinesearch or other online resurce ... use of GRT or NRT would likewise be wrong for the actual tonnage in weight.

You are now straying into my career territory ....
Since it's your career territory perhaps you can point me to a reference for the displacement of that vessel.
I've searched plenty and come up with nothing.

Since it's your career territory perhaps you can point me to a reference for the displacement of that vessel.
I've searched plenty and come up with nothing.

One of the problems is that being a car Carrier - they do not 'work' in terms of displacement like Bulk Carriers / Tankers etc. They work in Unit numbers ... ie number of cars carried as they are usually on regular liner trade for specific manufacturer.

The Details I have which are of greater use are :

Name : Neptune Leader
Previous names : (removed)
IMO: 9402744
MMSI: 357079000
Call Sign: 3FUV4
Flag: Panama [PA]
AIS Vessel Type: Cargo
Gross Tonnage: 44412
Deadweight: 12853 t
Length Overall x Breadth Extreme: 183m × 30.2m
Year Built: 2008

There are two items that are of real interest to the Charterer here : DWT and Gross Tonnage. And that is why you find it hard to get Displacement. Displacement also is dependent on loaded / empty condition.

Light displacement would be the one you would be interested in to 'correct' your 50,000 MT (its not exact steel as it also includes various items on board).

Here is her Class Registration :

Classification No. :083417
IMO No. :9402744
Official No. :50996-TJ
Signal Letters :3FUV4
Flag :Panama
Port of Registry :Panama
Ship's Name :NEPTUNE LEADER
Former Name 1 :--
Registered Owner 1 :DELETED
Management Company 1 :DELETED.
Classification Characters, Notations :NS*(RORO, EQ C V)(IWS)
MNS*
Descriptive Notes :--
Installation Characters :CHG, MPP, LSA, RCF, M0, AFS, BWM
Installation Descriptive Notes
Automatic and Remote Control Systems :The ship has complied with the requirements of Chapter II-1, Part E of SOLAS, "Periodically unattended machinery spaces (UMS)".
Special Description :--
Other Classification :--
Type of Ship -Purpose(intended service) :VEHICLES CARRIER
- Certificates - SC/SE/SF :Other cargo ship
- OPP :Other than Oil Tanker
- EE :Ro-ro cargo ship (Vehicle carrier)
- SMC/ISSC :Other cargo ship
Tonnage Gross (Registered) :44,412
Tonnage Net (Registered) :13,324
Tonnage Gross (Local) :--
Tonnage Net (Local) :--
Tonnage Gross (TM69) :44,412
Tonnage Net (TM69) :13,324
Deadweight :12,853
Summer Freeboard (mm) :2,055
Summer Draught (m) :8.722
Lf (m) :170.360
Continuous Max. Speed (kt)
(Sea Trial) :
Equipment No. :2,958
Overall Length (m) :183.000
Moulded LxBxD (m) :170.400 x 30.200 x 10.750
Registered LxBxD (m) :174.310 x 30.200 x 20.940
Cargo Capacity
(m3 / No. of Containers, etc.)
:
CAR x 4,318
No. of Passengers :--
Capacity of Tanks (m3) :FO 2,719.00 FW 361.00
Lifeboats Type, No. & Person :3 2x(25)
Rescue Boats Type, No. & Person :1 1x(6) (at combined use for lifeboat)
Liferafts Type, No. & Person :1 1x(6) 1 2x(25)
Radio Installations :GMDSS A1+A2+A3, SSAS
Navigation Equipment :MC, GYRO, TCS, ECDIS, GPS, RDX, RDS, ARPA, AIS, VDR, LOG, ES, STGTEL, DSL, LRIT, BNWAS
No. & Kind of Engines :1DE : 2 SA 6 CY
Bore x Stroke (mm) :600.0 x 2,400.0
Power (kW) :11,620
Revolution (rpm) :105.0
Manufacturer :HITACHI ZOSEN DIESEL & ENGINEERING CO., LTD.
No. & Kind of Boilers :1 AUX VB
Pressure (MPa) :0.79
Evaporation :3.21 (ton/h)
Manufacturer :Osaka Boiler Mfg., Co., Ltd.
*Evaporation rate: Thermal output (kW) to be filled up in case of TOH.
No. & Capacity of Generators (kVA) :4 AC 3,185
Kind of Propeller Shaft :1C
No. & Shaft Diameter (mm) :1 x 568
Shipbuilder :Naikai Zosen Corporation Setoda Shipyard
Hull No. :721
Date of Keel Lay :19 Oct 2007
Date of Launch :20 Apr 2008
Date of Build :29 Jul 2008
Date of Conversion :--

One of the problems is that being a car Carrier - they do not 'work' in terms of displacement like Bulk Carriers / Tankers etc. They work in Unit numbers ... ie number of cars carried as they are usually on regular liner trade for specific manufacturer.
The Details I have which are of greater use are :
Light displacement would be the one you would be interested in to 'correct' your 50,000 MT (its not exact steel as it also includes various items on board).
Thanks but that's nothing I didn't know a month ago when I posted the photo and made a guess at how much steel might be in the picture.
We know it's loaded and can carry 13000 tons of steel cargo + there's a lot of steel in the ship.
For the purposes of the discussion a month ago, whether it's 50000 tons or a bit more or less really makes no difference to the story.

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DonT