Any P4 owners going to a Mavic 2 Pro or Zoom?

Reaction score
I have been flying my P4 for two years and have resisted getting the P4P although I was tempted. I decided to add the Mavic 2 Pro to my fleet based on the upgraded camera. I also want it for portability.

Anyone else picking one up?

Guys....dont dump your P4P for a Mavic-II untill you see my side by side camera lab tests next week. The P4P beats the crap out of the Mavic-II in 4k video mode. Results in a few days on YouTube

My M2P gets delivered tomorrow. I love my P4, just want something a bit more portable and better suited for the RE googles--I'll let my sons wear them while I fly.

bigger is better, and i prefer my P4P in every way.

Here 'ya go! It's a CRAZY one!

Whats the punch line?

From what I saw your making some assumption about potential line skipping or pixel binning in certain video modes.

Did you include still image DNG files in your comparison?

As to your suggenstin the full sensor isn’t being employed if you see the same FOV across the frame in 16:9 or a still the full sensor is being used- any discussion must be about the video processing scheme.

Whats the punch line?

From what I saw your making some assumption about potential line skipping or pixel binning in certain video modes.

Did you include still image DNG files in your comparison?

As to your suggenstin the full sensor isn’t being employed if you see the same FOV across the frame in 16:9 or a still the full sensor is being used- any discussion must be about the video processing scheme.

Yes,...you need to see the video portion that describes "line skipping". This common readout technique reads the entire sensor from edge to edge,...but it skips lines and leaves line "gaps" on certain horizontal and vertical intervals.

Photos are a full pixel scan. 20 megapixels like normal.

Did you notice that 2.7K image is virtually identical to "4k" FOV? Why,...because line skipping only reads 2.7k pixels (about) for BOTH 2.7 and "4k" modes.

"HQ" is another surface area reduction. It just reads a 1:1 RGGB rectangle portion from the middle of that sensor. Again,...ANOTHER type of partial read-out.

Check out the video. I know it's long and boring but it does explain it.

CT

Yes,...you need to see the video portion that describes "line skipping". This common readout technique reads the entire sensor from edge to edge,...but it skips lines and leaves line "gaps" on certain horizontal and vertical intervals.

Did you notice that 2.7K image is virtually identical to "4k" FOV? Why,...because line skipping only reads 2.7k pixels (about) for BOTH 2.7 and "4k" modes.

"HQ" is another surface area reduction. It just reads a 1:1 RGGB rectangle portion from the middle of that sensor. Again,...ANOTHER type of partial read-out.

CT
Thank you- simple question please..... How do the still images compare between P4P and M2..?

CT
You might have a bad copy of the Mavic 2- check this out

No,..the lens and sensor are good. Photographs are as rock solid as the Phantom 4 Pro. Saw his video too. It confirms my findings too.

I really hope that more people can publish test results too.

Th easiest test a single Mavic-II Pro owner can do is test their FOV "4k" wide mode against their own 2.7K mode and post the results.

Last edited:
No,..the lens and sensor are good. Photographs are as rock solid as the Phantom 4 Pro. Saw his video too. It confirms my findings too.

I really hope that more people can publish test results too.

Th easiest test a single Mavic-II Pro owner can do is test their FOV "4k" wide mode against their own 2.7K mode and post the results.
Im not sure that it might be said the P4P is monumentally better looking at the processed footage. Binning/line or column skipping is very common in many cameras as you are no doubt aware. It is usually done because of a video SOC speed limitation though, it takes a lot more grunt to do 30 or 60 fps than for a still frame obviously.

I doubt your theory re heat is an issue. The M2 seems to have a lot of aluminium in the construction which could be employed as a very effective heatsink. Can you imagine what DJI might do to their reputation deliberately crippling the camera? And why? The P5 isn't far away.

Well i reckon the mavic design is ugly...compared to the slim and attractive design of the P4..and in there in i rest my case!!!

Reactions: John1960
Thank you- simple question please..... How do the still images compare between P4P and M2..?

This is an M2P JPEG. Downloaded to the phone over air, not from SD.

DF461A122EE00FBAA8B0F44E40700449.jpg

Last edited:
Reactions: Chopstix Kid

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Fimaj