Any Ideas? New Phantom 3 hovers in circles

Yikes! I can't even get a response from the support email. They opened an automatic ticket 2 days ago based on an online form I completed and I've Heard nothing. Did you call them or email?
Maybe a difference with a Canadian address?
I submitted an online support form on DJI.com with all the pertinent info; model #, s/n, DJI order #, purchase date, photos.
Received an email a day later asking for the model #, s/n, DJI order #, purchase date. Replied with requested info.
Received an e-mail with RMA info a couple of days later, including a form to fill out with the model #, s/n, DJI order #, purchase date to include with the return.
Shipped it off yesterday, will see how long the repair (cracked arm) and return takes.
Have heard it is much faster now, maybe because they have multiple records of the details...

I submitted an online support form on DJI.com with all the pertinent info; model #, s/n, DJI order #, purchase date, photos.
Received an email a day later asking for the model #, s/n, DJI order #, purchase date. Replied with requested info.
Received an e-mail with RMA info a couple of days later, including a form to fill out with the model #, s/n, DJI order #, purchase date to include with the return.
Shipped it off yesterday, will see how long the repair (cracked arm) and return takes.
Have heard it is much faster now, maybe because they have multiple records of the details...
Thanks. I have zero confidence in DJI when it comes to repairing the compass or GPS. For that reason I have asked DJI for a refund. I don't want to keep playing the "replacement & repair game".

Reactions: flpholt
Thanks. I have zero confidence in DJI when it comes to repairing the compass or GPS. For that reason I have asked DJI for a refund. I don't want to keep playing the "replacement & repair game".
I had an issue as you described with my P-FC40. Would drive me crazy with that so-called "Toilet Bowl" circling. How I fixed it was by finding my magnetic declination variance for my location online. Which was a variation of 8 degrees of true North.

Since I now knew the variance I then faced my bird to that variance of true North & did a compass calibration. That fixed the issue & now I follow that same routine with my P3A.

Reactions: HWCM
I had an issue as you described with my P-FC40. Would drive me crazy with that so-called "Toilet Bowl" circling. How I fixed it was by finding my magnetic declination variance for my location online. Which was a variation of 8 degrees of true North.

Since I now knew the variance I then faced my bird to that variance of true North & did a compass calibration. That fixed the issue & now I follow that same routine with my P3A.
I don't believe that would help here. I don't belive the Phantoms are that specific in direction. Just facing north vice south, east or west should be sufficient. Attempting to face exactly magnetic north is like threading the needle. I'm glad it worked in your situation, but unfortunately not in mine. I say this because every Phantom I have owned has never had this problem. This is a compass defect.

Ya gotta love DJI Support.

So I specifically request a REFUND. Yet they send me paperwork to have my Phantom sent for repair. Oh and they advise me to remove the gimbal clamp and fly it in a different field. Yes DJI, why didn't I think of that :)

I had to quote them the DJI policy that items from the DJI ON-LINE store may be returned and receive a full refund if a request for return is submitted within 7 days of delivery. If you wait 14 days you can request a replacement. Anything after 14 days is a repair.

So what does DJI Support do.... they send me an RMA # and ask me to send it in for repair. So I'm ignoring them for now and attempting to chat with DJI China on-line sales. Let's see what they say.

Reactions: hms and HWCM
I did receive an RMA but no shipping label. Did you receive both at the same time?

Metal does not effect imu cal. Only compass dance is affected.
I get it plus dji sells drones and has lousy customer service

I did receive an RMA but no shipping label. Did you receive both at the same time?
No, the shipping label came as a link in a separate e-mail directly from UPS (with sender shown as "DJI Service LLC.").

upload_2016-6-2_11-45-57.png

IMU isn't affected by metal.
Just to clarify:
IMU - Phantom needs to be cold and on flat surface. You can do this indoors.
Compass - in an open grassy field. You can do this outdoors.

You are getting TBE (toilet bowl effect). Redo your compass dance in an open field.
I agree. My experience with other drones is that the toilet bowl effect is from a bad compass calibration. I might say it was firmware update but there have not been reports of tbe after firmware update.

Reactions: ullhan84
Well they ain't perfect despite the YouTube vids that do the selling for them!

Please don't take me for a 'hater' but I bet I'm not alone I finding the ownership experience VERY different to what I expected?

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots mobile app

What is Phantom Pilots?

PhantomPilots.com is a resource for the popular DJI Phantom Quadracopter. I currently fly a DJI F550 Hexacopter with Naza, and knew the concept would be a hit if DJI could package it all in a simple, pre-built system. I think they've done it with the Phantom, and I think the Phantom is going to bring an entirely new audience to the world of multi-rotors and aerial photography.

I hope to help the DJI Phantom community by posting helpful information, accessory reviews, videos, and other tips and tricks.

PhantomPilots.com is not owned or endorsed by DJI Innovations, Inc.
I sent mine back for repair. Hopefully they fix it properly as it is almost unusable in this state.

Many of us have reported similar issues, more than likely a malfunctioning compass. Repeated IMU calibrations won't fix this however, if you've attempted a compass cal in a location far away from any possible interference without success, then I would send it back to DJI for service.

I did a IMU calibration on a level tile floor and got a bad Imu calibration with numbers out of range. There was an metal air duct right under the tile floor, which was causing the high range of numbers.... moved a few feet away and all good.

I did my last IMU cal this past Feb sitting on the chest freezer in my garage in Wisconsin in sub-zero temps. I had it sitting on a computer case side panel with wedges under for leveling.

Did I mention the freezer is METAL. Did I mention the computer case is METAL. Sitting in a garage with REBAR in the floor. Under an open garage door with STEEL tracks and opener rails and chains mere feet above.

IMU does NOT need to be done away from metal. COMPASS absolutely DOES.

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cokersean20