Anti Stress Plates - Possible Compass Issue

Reaction score
Hi all,

I'm new to the forum and would like to ask if any of you much more experienced pilots can point me in the right direction.

I have a P3 Advanced.

Had a lot of fun flying this in the Scottish Borders, great scenery and plenty of unrestricted areas.

Anyway the issue is: I have had several flights locally all good no compass issues. I went on holiday about 50 miles from home and re calibrated the compass. Again several flights and no issues.

On returning home I updated firmware for the P3A and the controller I also fitted alloy anti crack plates to the base of each arm. Now I keep getting compass errors and have tried re-calibrating in several different locations but can't get a good calibration. I have made sure that I have no metal on me and am out in open grassy areas.

Could this be due to the firmware updates or interference from the alloy or screws on the anti stress fixings.

I would really appreciate any assistance.

Highlander13

Yea +1 on no issue with aluminum plus the piont of compass compensation is to cancel on-board distortions from ferrous materials.
Remember correlation is not necessarily causation.

Last edited:
Anyway the issue is: I have had several flights locally all good no compass issues. I went on holiday about 50 miles from home and re calibrated the compass. Again several flights and no issues.

On returning home I updated firmware for the P3A and the controller I also fitted alloy anti crack plates to the base of each arm. Now I keep getting compass errors and have tried re-calibrating in several different locations but can't get a good calibration. I have made sure that I have no metal on me and am out in open grassy areas.
There was no need to recalibrate the compass for your holiday.
If you are having a problem that won't allow you to calibrate now, check the compass sensor data in the app to make sure your compass is OK.
If it's showing some numbers, things are good but if you have a broken wire or disconnected compass you will see zero and cannot calibrate until that's fixed.
i-3L2jQdP-M.png

Thanks for the replies.

I have just got back home so will check out the compass sensor data tomorrow as you suggest Meta4 and see what shows up.

It was the first time I had any issues with the P3A since I got it.

It started up fine showed no issues said good to go GPS no compass error showing. I flew it out about 250 meters and then got the compass error message. It switched to ATTI mode. This wasn't an issue as I have used a fairly good simulator for rc helicopters for a while so new what to expect.

Anyway will see what happens tomorrow...

I went out into the country well away from any possible interference removed every bit of metal, change, phone, belt etc. I seem to now have a good compass calibration.

However I now have the restricted distance issue 30m distance and height. I have all my setting correct i.e. no Beginner Mode and unrestricted distance selected. I didn't have an internet connection as so far out and surrounded by hills so couldn't try signing out and back in to the DJI Go app. I have now gone home and reinstalled DJI Go and signed in again. Will head out again a see if everything is as it should be.

All of this is very frustrating. When I first got my P3A everything was flawless. Installed firmware, IMU and compass calibrated it flew perfectly. Anyway lets hope we are now back to normal.

I have now managed to get out and run a couple of test flights.

The P3A seems to be back to it impressive original standard.

I flew three batteries worth and height and distance are good. Height up to 120 metres and distance out to 2000 metres. Tried RTH twice and each time it returned perfectly. No drop outs or other issues.

As others have said on the forum if you follow the correct update process everything seems to work fine.

Just as an aside is it good practice after updating firmware and recalibrating to test the RTH function just to make sure the compass calibration is correct.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
BobDan