Antenna mod and downlink

Reaction score
I'm interesed in getting an antenna mod like the MAXX EvoLite Kit Plus or something, and I have a basic question I couldn't find answered: How does the downlink range fare with an antenna mod?
The drone transmits down to the RC, but the antenna mods only mod the RC, so the drone remains stock. If you double or triple the range from the RC to the drone but the inverse remains the same, what good does that do?

Also, how much better is some top of the line mod like that than a simple windsurfer?

How reliable are antenna mods? I read some guy really pissed with the FPVLR provider, and then Jake from MaxxUAV didn't know that the P4 has no wifi, which spooks me a bit. I also read one guy whose mod stopped working because of some problem with the amps. I'm buying my P4 in a trip I'll make to the US, but I live half way round the world. I can't have my remote die on me a month later. If they are unrealiable I'd need to get a windsurfer.

get a dbs mod and you will be very happy

I have the maxx panel unboosted from Jake and am happy with it. It will out perform my stock p3p batteries no problem. Today I went out 4 miles and had solid radio signal, the video signal started dropping in and it just shy of 4 miles. This is flying from the front of my house over corn fields and then some houses but there is good VLOS .
Now from the back of my house is a different story, I can't get much past a mile as there are trees and houses therefore no vlos.

This is the main reason I have ordered the boosters from Jake. So that I can get penetration.
I know for a fact that in open areas my stock RC would outlast the battery. The only reason I got the panel and boosters it's for penetration where I don't have VLOS.

So after all this, you need to figure out why you may need an RC mod?
If you are flying in flat terrain in middle of no where you won't need an RC MOD. Your battery will be the weak link in the chain!
If you are going to fly in urban areas or places with no VLOS I would get the maxx panel and the boosters.
I if you want to go long distances then you need both boosted panel and battery mod.

I have a P3A and tend to fly in areas where I run out of signal, not battery. That's why I'm considering an RC mod when I buy a P4 soon.

;) let us know !! Sale on right now for the long weekend in USA & Canada depending on which is your local store

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots mobile app

Hi Kyle. How does the downlink range fare with an antenna mod?
The drone transmits down to the RC, but the antenna mods only mod the RC, so the drone remains stock.

Correct the bird stays stock, but when you put a more sensitive antenna & even boosters on top of that it increases your remote's ability to "hear". Imagine a hearing aid or even just cupping your hand behind your ear. Same idea.

With the MaxxRange & booster setup I had full video downlink 6km out for example.

b3f963894e0fb93dd502dc615e55c0b8.jpg

Reactions: Sim597
Kyle, that makes sense. The receiver is more sensitive to the drone's transmission.

If someone else can comment on boosted antenna vs windsurfer, I'm still curious about how much better it is.

The unboosted MaxxRange will beat windsurfer every day / all day.

But it would be nice to see some people help you out with their own experiences

Windsurfers work great on my P3P, I can get over 2mi which is plenty, considering battery limitations to loiter after I'm 2+ miles out. However, with my P4, although windsurfer helps, I wasn't getting a mile before I would often get video disconnects. Exception, I have been out to 15,000 with windsurfer (Ch 21, 4mbps settings), but that was under ideal conditions, away from civilization. In all around use my P3 had much better range with windsurfer, versus P4 with stock RC and the same windsurfer I've determined through RF measurements (Immersion RF power meter) that the P4 RC is the weakest RC DJI has produced to date. I posted my results in this thread. As a result I use an Inspire RC with my P4, and now it's operating more like my P3, range-wise.

That said, the only way I can see getting the P4 RC to operate half-decent is to put an amp on it, like everyone seems to be doing. Myself, I had an Inspire RC already, so I simply mothballed my P4 RC and use my Inspire RC, problem solved. I bought the Maxx Itelite antenna recently, along with the clean install kit and I'll be installing it soon. For now I'm still testing my stock Inspire RC with my P4 and noting the range with windsurfer under different use cases so I can compare with the Itelite antenna later this summer.

I have a P3A and tend to fly in areas where I run out of signal, not battery. That's why I'm considering an RC mod when I buy a P4 soon.

Here are some flight data that might interest you. Difference between stock, moded RC with maxx uav clean install kit and maxx panel, lastly 14" 9db rabbit ears.
I got the rabbit ears for places that I don't need to use the maxx but at 14" tall they do flop around which can be easily fixed but in all honesty I am used to the maxx panel and it is very comfortable with the setup that I have to carry it. I doubt I would be using the 14" rabbit ears, if anything I will get the shorter 7db ones.
The description of each flight is at the bottom of the small map.

HealthyDrones.com - Innovative flight data analysis that matters

I have both DBS antennas, I have the amps and even roof mounted antenna for indoor flying. (I have 2.2 million ft flown because I can fly in AC when it feels like 108* here in Texas)
Here's the real deal a lot of us are seeing.
The MaxxRange antenna seems big at first, until you use it for just a few days, then the original seems small and dated, this is a good thing and personally think the MaxxRange antenna is perfect size. That antenna alone will work wonders, an amp on the FC (flight control) side will and does give me 3+ miles in terrible lousy with trees and noise conditions in residential area even.
The FC channel will and should be 5/5 with amps used, however, however, right now I am flying from the roof mounted 9dB Hawking antennas without amps and it's still very strong, but certainly better with an amp on the FC side.
The HD downlink like you state is the problem, and look at it like this, the amp kinda works as a hearing aid, it will listen harder for that signal, in turn, it also raises the noise "heard" around it and amplifies that too.
In an area I am in, you cannot expect huge results or you may be let down, with that said, My FC side is definitely way better when my amp is on it, and your results may vary on the DLink side.
These, my results and yours and even others will not be typical, your environment matters more then anything, in this, is LOS, if you can maintain line of sight, even at distance (3+ miles-6 miles) won't matter, if you can maintain LOS the amps will usually always help keep the FC at 5/5 bars, and can give you a better chance of receiving low signals in down side, while also receiving more noise.
When I say like a hearing aid, remember that they do work, and have gotten better like the latest amps MaxxUAV carries.

Now, here's the total skinny to be fair, I have had some issues and some things to work out, and seems one of my amps is not working nearly as well as my other one, Jake has kept up and followed through to make sure I was happy, without me even saying anything, he had read some post and messaged me, MaxxUAV has some serious customer service guys, literally the best guy I've dealt with in a long time, Jake raises the bar for all the other vendors we deal with, mostly, here on this forum we have some good vendors, but we know the scum is out there, do yourself a solid and buy with confidence that they want you to be happy, I am, I am delighted with their service, and I had a manufacturing defective unit! how many times can you say you had a completely great experience, and you had a problem with a device?? (Not MaxxUAV fault or control, but he did make it right)

Sorry didn't mean to get off on a tangent but, Maxx was brought up, just wanted to tell ppl my experience and I will buy more stuff from them, when I can afford it!

Go with a dbs panel either one from Jake at maxxuav.com or get one from chuck at dbsmods.com . They are absolutely the best antennas on the market. I use both the smaller panel and larger one depending on where I'm flying. Boosters do help I usually fly with the dbs002 panel boosted and the max range panel unboosted. Either way you are going to be able to out fly your signal unless you are running a battery modification. Just do a YouTube search and I'll find a ton of great information. Also the dbs antennas hold the world records in every single category so you can't go wrong!! Good luck and fly far and fly safe !!

Last edited:
@Sim597: question I've been meaning to ask guys that have mounted antaenna on roof.
You guys probably use boosters because of the extra length of cables from antaenna to RC, right? Do you use the same amps that most user with the RC mods, sunhans 3w?
Most important question for me is how do you adjust the antaenna direction? Do you have motors mounted to turn it or manually, how?

Thx

Go with a dbs panel either one from Jake at maxxuav.com or get one from chuck at dbsmods.com . They are absolutely the best antennas on the market. Just do a YouTube search and I'll find a ton of great information. Good luck and fly far and fly safe !!

Hey bud, maybe you can answer my question post 15.

Thx

Hey bud, maybe you can answer my question post 15.

Thx

Hey I have not used my maxx panel on the roof mount. But as soon as I have some extra money I want to order the mount that Jake sells on maxxuav.com. I can answer some of your questions though . Yes it is the same sunhans amps . They can be used for either application. Also I haven't seen anyone make a mount that can rotate. It would be awesome if they did though . So depending on where and how you fly omnidirectional antennas may be a better fit for someone flying inside there car if they want to be able to fly in all directions and still have good range . The maxx range panel still has an impressive beam width and can be flown almost 1 mile directly behind the antenna which is very impressive. Dbs has a YouTube channel and Chuck has made some great videos showing the capabilities of the maxx range antenna. I recommend checking those out. Fly far fly safe brother!!

Hey I have not used my maxx panel on the roof mount. But as soon as I have some extra money I want to order the mount that Jake sells on maxxuav.com. I can answer some of your questions though . Yes it is the same sunhans amps . They can be used for either application. Also I haven't seen anyone make a mount that can rotate. It would be awesome if they did though . So depending on where and how you fly omnidirectional antennas may be a better fit for someone flying inside there car if they want to be able to fly in all directions and still have good range . The maxx range panel still has an impressive beam width and can be flown almost 1 mile directly behind the antenna which is very impressive. Dbs has a YouTube channel and Chuck has made some great videos showing the capabilities of the maxx range antenna. I recommend checking those out. Fly far fly safe brother!!

Thanks for your reply bud, much appreciate your input. You are actually the reason I came over to this forum from your
Previous Posts that I read.
I do enjoy the maxx panel and love the service Jake provides. I probably will get the car mount for my maxx panel.

Go with a dbs panel either one from Jake at maxxuav.com or get one from chuck at dbsmods.com . They are absolutely the best antennas on the market. I use both the smaller panel and larger one depending on where I'm flying. Boosters do help I usually fly with the dbs002 panel boosted and the max range panel unboosted. Either way you are going to be able to out fly your signal unless you are running a battery modification. Just do a YouTube search and I'll find a ton of great information. Also the dbs antennas hold the world records in every single category so you can't go wrong!! Good luck and fly far and fly safe !!

Thank you !! Don't forget we now have maxxuav.ca & maxxuav.eu to make everything a little smoother and save people a few bucks on import charges ;)

Loving all the replies and info !! Keep up the awesome work guys !!

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mactechnic