Another Idiot Pilot

This is the local press version before the story went viral.
Drone hits Flying Scotsman on North Yorkshire Moors

The device was flying next to the steam train as it passed between Grosmont and Pickering on Sunday when its camera became dislodged after the device struck a tree.

It is a miracle the train was not derailed while taking orphans on their annual trip to the seaside.
It could even have hit the kitten sanctuary run by nuns.

DAVEJF if you watch closely you will see the TV drone drop and smash to pieces behind the skier and yes had it hit him it could have resulted in serious injury. This clearly was not pilot error but I would say a catastrophic failure of the drone in some way. An accident in the pure sense. BUT the BBC reported on it as though it was an irresponsible hobbyist who was responsible even though they would have been aware that a professional TV drone covering the event dropped out of the sky. Can you imagine a hobbyist being allowed to take his drone up a mountain at a world cup event and then being allowed to launch it at will? More chance of seeing the Pope on a snow board I think!
Ian, I did watch it closely which I why I said IF it had hit him. One more attempt then I'll shut up on the subject as I'm obviously not making my point very clearly :
To me it is irrelevant whether it was an expert pilot of a complete novice. The point is that
these things can be dangerous and images like that highlight it very clearly. Secondly it's not as easy as you seem to think to prevent airborne interlopers at big events and lastly it doesn't have to be a Grand Prix event it could have been someone at chamonix in the middle of the ski season. 'Nuff said....I'm off for a beer now.
Happy (safe) flying.

Reactions: GoodnNuff
DAVEJF I think we are in agreeance in respect of the potential dangers associated with drones but the media at every turn will demonise the hobbyist wether they are responsible or not which can only harm our pursuit. Enjoy your pint!

Well if he had the latest firmware, and go app update or non OEM batteries; all off this wouldn't have happened because it wouldn't have been flying.

Waylander, I wasn't referring to the train incident, I was referring to the marcel hirscher skiing incident and altho I wasn't there I did see it and so can you Champion skier Marcel Hirscher has near miss as drone falls out of sky
And yes, despite him wearing a helmet if it had hit him the results could have been fatal.
Happy flying yourself [emoji6]
Hi Dave no worries my friend , I did see the Skiing incident, I'm an avid skier and I watch most TV coverage of GS and Downhill, Hirscher was lucky, but what a pro, did not miss a turn, asked afterwards he said he was so focused that he did not see it....wow..! even though it looked to me like it caught the tails of his ski's.
Keep wiggling them sticks
Waylander.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
argues