Another idiot flying over Christmas lights in Yucaipa CA

ianwood said:
Ultralights are fully relevant. It's a flying machine that goes further and higher than a Phantom can and requires nothing from the FAA. SteveMann, thanks for bringing up that example. It highlights a duality.

The FAA is proposing you need a pilot's license to operate a sub 5lb quadcopter even if you never operate above 400ft. And yet to strap a lawnmower on my back and cruise around at several thousand feet, I need nothing.

Actually a very good example. I agree.
There are strict operating limitations imposed by the FAA and designed to limit the dangers to the non-participant. (You are permitted to risk your own neck.)

1. No passengers allowed
2 No flying over towns or settlements
3. No flying at night or above (or in) the clouds
4. No flying in airspace around airports with control towers and certain other airspace without prior permission.
5. No commercial operations (for hire) except instruction.
6. Ultralights must yield right-of-way to ALL OTHER AIRCRAFT.
7. No! You don't have to have a pilots license (yet).

Yup, the same restrictions we face. And if you have a two seat Ultralight, you do have to have an LSA license.

Does the FAA investigate and fine those who don't follow the rules? You betcha.
Google my old buddy Dell Schanze! He is probably the most FAA investigated and fined UL pilot out there: Launching from landmarks, buzzing people, buzzing the interstate, kicking owl in flight, buzzing tour boats, etc.

slothead said:
Fred it sounds like drones are too dangerous for you to be flying. You should stop flying yours immediately. Send it to me once you get it packed up nicely.
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

The really good footage I've seen, invariably involves breaking the rules in one way or another. I do not care, the results some of you are getting are mind blowing. Take this effort from Laurent Youm.https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r_2HIj9JLhA
Most of this is illegal in some way, but how can we criticize this when it's so good? If everyone complys to their country's laws regarding drones, we will never get to see this type of aerial photography again.

hionbusa said:
FredMurtz said:
From the videos I've seen of some mishaps, looks more like a lot of stitches. One guy that goofed on a hand catch got chopped up pretty good. Should I post the video?

I know someone who got diagnosed with terminal cancer at 36years old .. They exercised 7 days a week , ate healthy everyday and never texted while driving...

Embrace life brotha.. Cuz s$#$ happens. :ugeek:

And that it does!!! Let's all hide in our basements and cower in fear. Cars were a technology to be feared when they came out too. Airplanes the same thing. Space travel!?!?!? Wtf is THAT!? Drones? That sounds like voodoo magic to me. We're all going to die!

Reactions: Electric Warrior
FredMurtz said:
Yes, it's pretty much a no-go over crowds, but how many people makes a crowd? One according to you. The drone in the Xmas flight was mostly over the street and occasionally over the fire truck with Santa and Mrs Claus on it. I did not watch the whole video but I did skip ahead, and I never saw the drone over the crowd on the sidewalk. Just because you can see people doesn't make the flight dangerous.

One part of video there are probably 40 people on the sidewalks and 8? people on the engine. Drone comes down it may not be straight down. That street is usually crowded, I would think 40+ people make a crowd. Mostly kids by the way. But what the hell, fly away.

Yep,it's all about the kids. Don't run with scissors!

Reactions: Electric Warrior
diverjeb said:
And that it does!!! Let's all hide in our basements and cower in fear. Cars were a technology to be feared when they came out too. Airplanes the same thing. Space travel!?!?!? Wtf is THAT!? Drones? That sounds like voodoo magic to me. We're all going to die!

You'd have been scared of the planes back then too. I guess flying under 20 thousand feet makes for a pretty bumpy ride, an issue that concerned Howard Hughes greatly because people refused to fly. I'm kind of fuzzy on the details but I do remember that they were aware the air was more stable the higher up you go, but they lacked the tech to get there.

I can not believe we're still kicking this poor dead horse, but I'm not gonna let it stop me from making a controversial comment! :lol:

And here it is: You are ALL right!

There is risk in everything we do, we just manage or mitigate that risk. Flying over people (WITH prop guards) at low altitude is perfectly fine, just don't do it at 500 feet. Right? Because that would be idiotic. A Phantom falling 10 feet is bound to do less damage than one falling from 500 feet.

And for the people that are on the extreme end of this argument...you're being extreme...sometimes referred to as being an *******. :shock:

Let's not make the hobby so safe it turns into a joyless experience, but be mindful that flying a Phantom does come with some inherent dangers, and guard against those.

CarlJ said:
I can not believe we're still kicking this poor dead horse, but I'm not gonna let it stop me from making a controversial comment! :lol:

And here it is: You are ALL right!

There is risk in everything we do, we just manage or mitigate that risk. Flying over people (WITH prop guards) at low altitude is perfectly fine, just don't do it at 500 feet. Right? Because that would be idiotic. A Phantom falling 10 feet is bound to do less damage than one falling from 500 feet.

And for the people that are on the extreme end of this argument...you're being extreme...sometimes referred to as being an *******. :shock:

Let's not make the hobby so safe it turns into a joyless experience, but be mindful that flying a Phantom does come with some inherent dangers, and guard against those.
Here Here!

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cokersean20