Another idiot flying over Christmas lights in Yucaipa CA

Reaction score
One idiot flew over hundreds of people at the Redlands CHristmas parade last week.

This one is over the famous YUcaipa neighborhood with the synchornized lights. The street is packed with people every night.

http://youtu.be/dIDDPcxBBKk

I am certainly thankful that you are not writing the rules.
You seem to think that every drone is going to automatically crash and decapitate someone when it flies over them.
The Santa and Mrs Claus really looked terrified as they smiled and waved to the drone.
Give it a break - not everyone is blessed with a thousand acre desert to meet your definition of flying safely.

Reactions: Electric Warrior
I've lost a Phantom so yeah, it can happen at any time. Does the guy even have prop guards on? I thought it was pretty much a no go to fly over crowds? Is the the TGIF mistletoe drone in the restaurant okay then?

SteveMann said:
I am certainly thankful that you are not writing the rules.
You seem to think that every drone is going to automatically crash and decapitate someone when it flies over them.
The Santa and Mrs Claus really looked terrified as they smiled and waved to the drone.
Give it a break - not everyone is blessed with a thousand acre desert to meet your definition of flying safely.

+1 .

From the videos I've seen of some mishaps, looks more like a lot of stitches. One guy that goofed on a hand catch got chopped up pretty good. Should I post the video? I had one crash when first learning when my Phantom crashed on a baseball field and cartwheeled a few feet. Chewed the props up pretty bad. I guess one can get lucky.

FredMurtz said:
From the videos I've seen of some mishaps, looks more like a lot of stitches. One guy that goofed on a hand catch got chopped up pretty good. Should I post the video?

I know someone who got diagnosed with terminal cancer at 36years old .. They exercised 7 days a week , ate healthy everyday and never texted while driving...

Embrace life brotha.. Cuz s$#$ happens. :ugeek:

Maybe I misread this group, the past threads I've read here condemned flying over crowds. Looks like that has changed. Got it. Riddle me this though, when professional stunt pilots fly at airshows, why do they do it away from the crowd? I'll hang up and listen now.

FredMurtz said:
I've lost a Phantom so yeah, it can happen at any time. Does the guy even have prop guards on? I thought it was pretty much a no go to fly over crowds? Is the the TGIF mistletoe drone in the restaurant okay then?
The TGIF mistletoe drone was a PUBLICITY video. It was never meant to be implemented in the stores. Everyone in the video was an actor. Just like the Amazon Air video and the Lakemade Beer delivery video - publicity videos just to raise brand awareness.

Yes, it's pretty much a no-go over crowds, but how many people makes a crowd? One according to you. The drone in the Xmas flight was mostly over the street and occasionally over the fire truck with Santa and Mrs Claus on it. I did not watch the whole video but I did skip ahead, and I never saw the drone over the crowd on the sidewalk. Just because you can see people doesn't make the flight dangerous.

FredMurtz said:
From the videos I've seen of some mishaps, looks more like a lot of stitches. One guy that goofed on a hand catch got chopped up pretty good.
Show me ONE crash where someone not involved in the flight was injured by a Phantom-sized drone. Just one.

Yes, it's pretty much a no-go over crowds, but how many people makes a crowd? One according to you. The drone in the Xmas flight was mostly over the street and occasionally over the fire truck with Santa and Mrs Claus on it. I did not watch the whole video but I did skip ahead, and I never saw the drone over the crowd on the sidewalk. Just because you can see people doesn't make the flight dangerous.

One part of video there are probably 40 people on the sidewalks and 8? people on the engine. Drone comes down it may not be straight down. That street is usually crowded, I would think 40+ people make a crowd. Mostly kids by the way. But what the hell, fly away.

FredMurtz said:
Riddle me this though, when professional stunt pilots fly at airshows, why do they do it away from the crowd? I'll hang up now and listen now.
Whomever said that there's no such thing as a dumb question was wrong. But I'll answer it anyway. Because aircraft approaching a ton in weight flying stunts at 100 plus MPH tend to cause a bit more damage to spectators than a plastic drone weighing 3 pounds with a top speed of 25mph. Really? Because there are sometimes airshow crashes and people die, is your rationale that flying a Phantom over a single person is somehow reckless and dangerous?

SteveMann said:
FredMurtz said:
Riddle me this though, when professional stunt pilots fly at airshows, why do they do it away from the crowd? I'll hang up now and listen now.
Whomever said that there's no such thing as a dumb question was wrong. But I'll answer it anyway. Because aircraft approaching a ton in weight flying stunts at 100 plus MPH tend to cause a bit more damage to spectators than a plastic drone weighing 3 pounds with a top speed of 25mph. Really? Because there are sometimes airshow crashes and people die, is your rationale that flying a Phantom over a single person is somehow reckless and dangerous?

Single person? 2 people on the engine? You're being a ridiculous troll now or do you have vision issues? Is this any better? https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ji3Hii_ ... e=youtu.be

just curious to the rest here, would homeowners cover this guy or what would happen if there was a crash? Do you need a rider on insurance to cover your neighbors car or kid if they get whacked?

I think the guy in the video was using prop guards....just saying

This is probably the sort of thing in the future.
Thousands will receive drones as Christmas presents this year but, as a recent near-miss with an airliner shows, the authorities face a battle to stop them being used irresponsibly.

Remote controlled aircraft used to be a niche hobby. It took time to build them and skill to operate them. Today drones are cheap, quick to get in the air and you can operate them on a smartphone or tablet. Today the thrill is not so much operating a model aircraft as having a flying camera.

Across the world, rules are being drawn up or refined to deal with the potential dangers. But they are already being flouted.

The Civil Aviation Authority (CAA) sets the rules on drones in the UK under what is called an air navigation order.

An unmanned aircraft must never be flown beyond the normal unaided “line of sight” of the person operating it – this is generally measured as 500m (1,640ft)horizontally or 400ft (122m) vertically
An unmanned aircraft fitted with a camera must always be flown at least 50m (164ft) distance away from a person, vehicle, building or structure
An unmanned aircraft fitted with a camera must not be flown within 150m (492ft) of a congested area or large group of people, such as a sporting event or concert
For commercial purposes, operators must have permission to fly a drone from the CAA
In the US, the Federal Aviation Authority bans the flying of unmanned aircraft, including hobby drones, above 400ft.

The FAA also states that, if they are to be used within five miles of an airport, its air traffic control tower should be notified in advance. They should not weigh more than 55lbs (25kg).

The European Aviation Safety Agency is developing EU-wide safety standards, which it says will be as high as those for manned aircraft.

Recent evidence suggests the rules are being flouted in the UK either because people are unaware or are wilfully ignoring them. Videos uploaded to YouTube show them being operated above London, Nottingham, Liverpool FC’s Anfield stadium and towns including Margate and Broadstairs in Kent.

The CAA has prosecuted two Unmanned Aerial Vehicle (UAV) operators relating to safety breaches. It has four other investigations pending. The Association of Chief Police Officers was unable to say how many prosecutions the police have made over drones. But there have been arrests, such as that of a man from Nottingham in October for flying a drone over Manchester City’s stadium during their game against Tottenham Hotspur.

Ch Insp Chris Hill, said: “Even small drones can weigh up to seven or eight kilograms and could cause damage or injury if they fall from height. Thankfully, no-one was hurt.”

The CAA’s focus is purely safety. For the criminal use of drones, including harassment, anti-social behaviour or damage to property, it is a police matter. If people have concerns about a drone being flown in public they should call the police, a CAA spokesman says. “Local police can assess the situation in real time and, if there is any evidence of breaching the air navigation order, they will pass on any information on to us.”

During the ongoing House of Lords select committee inquiry on remotely piloted aircraft systems, Chief Inspector Nick Aldworth of the Metropolitan Police said: “We do not have a criminal privacy law in this country, so it is not the concern of the police to try to develop or enforce it.”

But drones could breach other legislation, he added. “The most obvious example to date is the Sexual Offences Act 2003 and the specific offence of voyeurism.”

Incidents across the world are growing in frequency and political campaigners are using them to make a statement. In October a Euro 2016 qualifier in Belgrade was stopped after a drone trailing an Albanian flagwas flown over the stadium. And in France, nuclear power stations were buzzed by drones in a number of mysterious incidents.

- See more at: http://www.uasvision.com/2014/12/11/whe ... EldDg.dpuf

SteveMann said:
Show me ONE crash where someone not involved in the flight was injured by a Phantom-sized drone. Just one.
Hey Steve, I am in your camp...100%. And I also have to admit to being in awe sometimes with your excellent knowledge and experience as a pilot and willingness to share that with us.

But having said that, you might be going a bit far pushing that point. I have seen and I am sure with a little research one can find one or two crashes that would refute that statement. There are a few out there on youtube I have seen involving cuts and bruises.

But your point is well taken. Of the many hundreds of thousands of drones I suspect that are out there, it is quite amazing there have been NO major accidents that the naysayers are trying to predict to scare people.

Gees, just look at the number of car accidents, gun accidents, and yes, even airline accidents out there that cause death and destruction almost daily, and yet everyone accepts the use of these, without giving that a second thought. Sure makes the perceived risks of flying a phantom, sort of....trivial and negligible.

One mitigating factor is the acceptance or awareness of the risk(s).

With the exception of gun violence (as opposed to a gun accident) you, the proverbial you, accept the risk of transportation related or other casualties The risks are there but the 'authorities' place regulations to minimize them and or protect victims.

Having an object fall or otherwise strike you without your expectation or acknowledgement of said risk is the difference in this discussion.

If I'm at a parade I can expect there could be an accident if a float or other object were to veer off course, etc. Minimal chance but still a chance.

I would not expect to be hit by an out of control or malfunctioning device with possibly spinning blades.

Thanks N017RW, you do make a very valid point. And I could only imagine how frightening and upset I would be from such an unexpected event, especially if it happened to me.

However and to Steve's point, it is such a rare occurrence especially if you consider the amount of these things now that are out there, the perceived danger of that happening seems to be way overblown to the point of almost not happening(certainly not death and destruction and some are trying to predict). Heck just recently a family died when a plane crashed into their house...they did not accept any risk of transportation, just in their own home where we all are supposed to feel safe, yet now they are dead. Should we ban aircraft? Just offering a rebuttal...

FredMurtz said:
Maybe I misread this group, the past threads I've read here condoned flying over crowds. Looks like that has changed. Got it. Riddle me this though, when professional stunt pilots fly at airshows, why do they do it away from the crowd? I'll hang up and listen now.

This is the whole problem on this board and this guy unknowingly admits it lol

He was taught by others here to storm into boards calling people he does not know IDIOTS! Lol
Like a kid watching his father so he know how to behave. Most of you adults should be ashamed of yourselves
Kids post here and mimic that stupidity it'spretty ridiculas

Khudson7 said:
Thanks N017RW, you do make a very valid point. And I could only imagine how frightening and upset I would be from such an unexpected event, especially if it happened to me.

However and to Steve's point, it is such a rare occurrence especially if you consider the amount of these things now that are out there, the perceived danger of that happening seems to be way overblown to the point of almost not happening(certainly not death and destruction and some are trying to predict). Heck just recently a family died when a plane crashed into their house...they did not accept any risk of transportation, just in their own home where we all are supposed to feel safe, yet now they are dead. Should we ban aircraft? Just offering a rebuttal...

The balance of risk vs reality can be debated until the end of time, with so many opinions everyone will never agree what is considered safe and what is not. Trying to say that one of these devices can not seriously injure someone because it is plastic and weighs a few pounds is ridiculous. It only takes one incident and a movement to get things over regulated due to fear. I agree there is a lot of fear mongering going on and the risk of someone getting hurt is very low, but to say it can't happen..... is very short sighted. Comparing these devices to real planes is apples and oranges and an extreme statement. The bottom line is there a device flying around the sky and with it there will always be some risk, but trying to regulate it to the point where no one can be hurt is absurd, it is a balance which must be found and that will always be an opinionated topic.

samd012 said:
The balance of risk vs reality can be debated until the end of time, with so many opinions everyone will never agree what is considered safe and what is not. Trying to say that one of these devices can not seriously injure someone because it is plastic and weighs a few pounds is ridiculous. It only takes one incident and a movement to get things over regulated due to fear. I agree there is a lot of fear mongering going on and the risk of someone getting hurt is very low, but to say it can't happen..... is very short sighted. Comparing these devices to real planes is apples and oranges and an extreme statement. The bottom line is there a device flying around the sky and with it there will always be some risk, but trying to regulate it to the point where no one can be hurt is absurd, it is a balance which must be found and that will always be an opinionated topic.

Well said...I agree!

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Fimaj