Another idiot builds a flying gun

Reaction score
As if countering the current anti-drone sentiment wasn't difficult enough, people like this insist on making it that much harder. Nice work James. Hope you feel real good about about your 15 minutes of fame. </sarc>

Drone enthusiast James Higgins decided to build an auto-aiming hexcopter with a removable turret. A laser cutter and 3D printer were used to manufacture many of the parts. Two operators are required, one to pilot the drone, and another to operate the turret, both with a live video feed via a helmet. However, it can also be put into auto-pilot mode, enabling the drone to automatically aim and fire at targets.

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

Well there's nothing illegal in what he has done so far. But if he takes a step further then he will have a problem with the FAA.

And I would give him a high five. You guys need to quit crying about every lil thing. There are gonna be new drone laws regardless of what anybody does or doesn't do. If you want something to complain about. How about Amazon wanting to take 200' to 400' for there drone delivery. Leaving the us hobbyists to fly to a height of only 200'. I highly doubt this guy is gonna do any crazy with it. Otherwise he probably wouldn't post it on youtube. Haters r gonna hate.

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots mobile app

Hey I would give him a "high five" also for his talent for sure - but not the application - and that is my opinion - not any kind of "hater" or whatever - sheesh!

Deleted my previous post only because I can't be bothered reading the negative comments! Keep in mind - people are posting as they see it on the subject of the thread - any thread!

It is not about being a "hater" - if that were the case then negativity towards posters who disagree with a thread could be considered as the same.

Some just miss the whole point of a "discussion forum"!

Probably get some backlash on this post also - lol. Safe flying everyone!

Last edited:
Reactions: SilverStone641
I applaud the development of a new technology that could be useful in certain applications. For instance, with a paintball gun marking objects. Add some recognition software and it could autonomously fly around marking all kinds of things. This guy looks responsible. More power to him.

All new technology comes with innovation. This guy is doing just that and potentially on the verge of striking it rich. I applaud him in doing the work.

Just wanted to make sure you guys realize something important here: nobody "high fives" anymore. It's not 1990. ;)

And by the way, anyone that can't see the potential harm a cheap un-manned vehicle with a cheap gun that can find, shoot and kill completely autonomously, let me know if you would hang around in a stadium while a terrorists flies it from a hotel room 2 miles away.

Last edited by a moderator:
Just wanted to make sure you guys realize something important here: nobody "high fives" anymore. It's not 1990. ;)

And by the way, anyone that can't see the potential harm a cheap un-manned vehicle with a cheap gun that can find, shoot and kill completely autonomously, let me know if you would hang around in a stadium while a terrorists flies it from a hotel room 2 miles away.
That's pushing it. The guy is shooting little plastic pellets that would have a tough time killing anything. Putting a real weapon on a Phantom is ridiculous, it couldn't handle the weight or the recoil. I could see putting a marker pistol on it and using that for actual practical purposes.
Of course, if you wanted to put a 'real' gun on it, you'd have to go thru all the anti gun BS, register it, fight through the ban guns whackos, etc.
So, Low Fives? Pounds?
clear.png
;)

I'd rather see a story like this vs a story about a drone crashing. Shows innovation and imagination.

I'd rather see a story like this vs a story about a drone crashing. Shows innovation and imagination.
Yes, a story about how a drone can be used to keep an automatic gun nice and steady while the software autonomously finds its soon to be killed pray is JUST the kind of publicity this "hobby" needs.

It's funny the di, maybe trichotomy of people that use these things. 1) Artists, 2) people who want to claim the air and 3) terrorists. The people who want to claim the air are more in line with the needs of terrorists.

That's pushing it. The guy is shooting little plastic pellets that would have a tough time killing anything. Putting a real weapon on a Phantom is ridiculous, it couldn't handle the weight or the recoil. I could see putting a marker pistol on it and using that for actual practical purposes.
Of course, if you wanted to put a 'real' gun on it, you'd have to go thru all the anti gun BS, register it, fight through the ban guns whackos, etc.
So, Low Fives? Pounds?
clear.png
;)
No, the phantom definitely cannot but there are MANY UAVs that exist today on the prosumer and even consumer market that DEFINITELY hold that kind of pay load and it would be able to handle the kick back and definitely the weight.

So if I put a gun on my drone can I take it everywhere with me and say I am exercising my 2nd amendment rights??? :D :eek:

So if I put a gun on my drone can I take it every where with me and say I am exercising my 2nd amendment rights??? :D :eek:

Maybe, If you're using it to defend yourself.

Certainly a new frontier that our forefarthers would never have predicted.
I see this era of technology and the possible good/bad use of drones will definetly test our constiutional rights.

Its a long way from being real platform for using a real firearm AND being used against a human target. I see a long list of issues to overcome. Sure through enough time and money at it, the vast majority of the issues I see can be overcome, but still leaves some issues that would not make it successful (real firearm, human target)...

And I would give him a high five. You guys need to quit crying about every lil thing. There are gonna be new drone laws regardless of what anybody does or doesn't do. If you want something to complain about. How about Amazon wanting to take 200' to 400' for there drone delivery. Leaving the us hobbyists to fly to a height of only 200'. I highly doubt this guy is gonna do any crazy with it. Otherwise he probably wouldn't post it on youtube. Haters r gonna hate.

To many cry baby's always looking for something to complain and cry about.

But this would be a great invention for our military right? Why so much negativity on everything?[emoji22][emoji22]

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hirehackers